Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Bizzenn

This happens with my 2012 as well. The dealer did the tcm update and they said that solved it but it still does it. I am taking it back to get some backordered parts installed so I will ask again then. If I can get a good answer I will post it.
Bizzenn

I posted a couple of videos on you tube showing the tranny whine and the ocsilating sound when I let off the gas. Let me know if anybody has had this issue and what it was. Thanks.

edited by murcod to fix links. :)
murcod

That doesn't sound good and would be very annoying. I'd send the links to your dealer/ Suzuki.

It reminds me of the noise you get with straight cut timing gears on older engines (like in this clip ). Obviously absolutely nothing to do with your noise though.

It's interesting the number of hits on Youtube when you search for "cvt whining"
eg:

They both sound like the noise you're getting.
David
Bizzenn

Yea, it doesn't do it until the car warms up. The longer I drive and the hotter it is, the more prevalent the sound. Again it drives fine so I have no clue.
Ronzuki

The last link in Murcod's last post above is very interesting. The car is in park , so in theory, the trans' belt is not rotating (or is it?) and the pitch of the whine varies w/ throttle change. Input shaft bearing? Pump noise? Is the pump even pushing fluid in Park? Too many unknowns w/ these damn CVTs. I'm really starting to believe that some folks' really low MPG numbers are related to a CVT issue of some sort. Almost as if there's a slippage occurring as in a conventional trans. IDK
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Bizzenn

It doesn't do it it in park. It's only when driving so its not the engine.
murcod

Ronzuki wrote:I'm really starting to believe that some folks' really low MPG numbers are related to a CVT issue of some sort. Almost as if there's a slippage occurring as in a conventional trans. IDK
Good point.
David
Bizzenn

Honestly, I don't think the dealers know anymore than we do about these trannys as they don't repair them, they just replace. We shall see.
Grandpa1951

Probably to help insolate the problem try putting it in each gear manually then try it. Note if only individual gear or all.
Bizzenn

The gear doesn't matter. It happens when the Rpm's are between 3000-3800. It's most prevelemt when decelerating from 3800 down to 3000. If I keep it at 3000 when it's hot I can hear it consistently.