Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Zoomin

Its funny about changing the fluid, nowhere in the maintenance manual does it ever call for the fluid to be replaced.
Bizzenn

It just says inspect and replace if necessary. I'm assuming that's because of different conditions in different places.
Grandmaster

I am not quite sure if it is because of the heat. I live in Canada and even when the temperature is well below 0, the sound is still there. I have 30,000 kms on my 2012, and there were no issues until the summer when I drove to South Carolina. Everything changed. I have same sounds as you guys, and I also got the same reply from the dealer - all is well. :?:

To me (and I'm not a mechanic) it all sounds as if one piece/part got worn out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but how come there were no issues in the past?

To be honest, I am afraid to put my foot on the gas pedal now, let alone overtake someone on the road....
Ronzuki

Look at it this way...better hammer on it now while it's still under warranty.

I'm not certain what this whining sound really is, but mine makes 'a sound' that I can not hear w/ the windows up while inside the car, and I'm not at all concerned about it. I have no fear, or hesitation, to put the accelerator down and letting her rip. (It's quite enjoyable actually) I drive the car and enjoy it for its capability. I maintain it and try to do all the preventative stuff. If it fails, I have receipts and a drive-train warranty that I can fall back on. At 38k I am now beyond the bumper-to-bumper coverage.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Moto
Site Admin

Grandmaster where do you live exactly? You may want to take that car in and have it looked at. If possible you may want to try more than on dealer. I do know of one car in Winnipeg that went through three transmissions.
WESHOOT2

Weird; I pound the snot outta my AWD CVT, and nothing but the headlight bulbs have failed.......
murcod

Best idea IMHO would be to take it to a dealer for them to look at (ie. get the issue noted down the on vehicle's service history.) You will then have some sort of hope getting coverage once the warranty expires... if the worst does happen.

In the mean time, drive it hard like Ronsuki said. ;)
David
Bizzenn

Just an update. I called Jatco today and spoke to a rep. I told him about the whining and oscillating sound as the tranny gets hotter. He said unless it's actually malfunctioning then it's fine. The noise I am hearing is the oil pump. I also asked about when to.change the fluid and he said not until at least 60k. He said in the Nissans, some need no service.
Ronzuki

You actually spoke to Jatco? How did you manage that? I've emailed several times regarding fluid change schedule with no response. Good for you! Thanks for the update. The Kizashi FSM CVT Fluid Check states:

1)Check CVT fluid for deterioration referring to factors shown below. Replace CVT fluid and also check functioning of CVT and vehicle if any faulty conditions are found.

Note: Burning smell or heavy discoloration of CVT fluid suggests that dust-size friction material particles are mixed in the fluid. In that case, replacement of the CVT assembly may be required.

*Varnish-like appearance
*Milky or whitish appearance
*Large amount of metal particles mixed in fluid

The next step in the manual for fluid check requires use of the Suzuki scan tool to check the fluid temperature is at normal operating temperature of 158-176F before checking the level.

The above fluid conditions are pretty ambiguous and not easily verified by the average mechanic via the dip-stick, sans the milky white condition (which means water) in my opinion. The only way to get a full check on the condition of any fluid is to drain it all out and capture it for inspection and/or professional lab analysis. I get the impression that draining it out or even opening the system up is a bad idea as the process is likely to do more harm than good by potentially introducing contamination which appears to be extremely bad for these CVTs.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Bizzenn

Yea, I found a contact number on the web and called. The rep called me back within the hour and we had a rather lengthy conversation. He was actually very helpful but still hadn't heard of this issue. He said the fluid should be good but I don't know if the last owner beat it to death or not. I'll just keep my eye on the fluid.