Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:My concern is that if the CVT still shits the bed, then Suzuki will definitely pin the blame on the aftermarket cooler
I hear you on this, but it sounds like these bone-stock CVTs are prone to issues when temperatures heat up anyway. If it's really the case that these CVTs act up when things get hot, perhaps the aftermarket cooler will prevent it assuming they work to keep CVT fluid temperatures cooler than the stock cooler.

I think where you live and your mileage may be the best consideration in whether to pursue this aftermarket cooler as a possible remedy. Someone who lives in Canada and mainly uses the Kizashi as an AWD winter car (Bootymac?) may not even bother. On the contrary, someone like Apostol who lives in Arizona, has 94K miles (nearly out of powertrain warranty), and plans to keep the car may benefit from the aftermarket cooler.

Given Apostol's experiences and location, I'm interested in seeing if the cooler makes a difference in his car. He lives in a hot climate, has 2 other CVT Kizashis in the family fleet (control subjects), and pretty much knows the conditions when the CVT starts to act up from prior occurrences. He's also no stranger to modding as his fierce Kizashi reflects. He and his Kizashi simply make the best test subjects. No pressure or anything, Apostol! :lol:

I'd maybe try it out had I not had the row-your-own transmission which is the Honey badger of transmissions.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:On the contrary, someone like Apostol who lives in Arizona, has 94K miles (nearly out of powertrain warranty), and plans to keep the car may benefit from the aftermarket cooler.
True that. I'd be rocking this if I were out of warranty

KuroNekko

You know, external oil coolers were a JDM trend back in the day that's still seen with the classic JDM enthusiasts. Folks would visibly run them out to the very front of their cars.
Maybe the Kizashi is going to bring this trend back for CVT fluid cooling? :lol:

Bizzenn

Nobody has any idea what it is. Obviously replacing it doesn't help so I'll just have to deal with it until there's a fix or until I trade, which ever comes first.
coref1

:lol: I suspect you'll be trading long before there's any fix. :drive:
KuroNekko

Bizzenn wrote:Nobody has any idea what it is. Obviously replacing it doesn't help so I'll just have to deal with it until there's a fix or until I trade, which ever comes first.
Somehow, I have my doubts that JATCO and Nissan are clueless. I think they have a very good idea what's wrong, but their accountants have told them to just deal with it on a case-by-case basis than to recall all the CVTs and actually fix them. It's not like this sort of move is new to the auto industry. They've done this with serious safety defects such as the case with the Ford Pinto.

I'm no expert on this but it sounds like CVT owners have issues when the CVT runs hot from high ambient temperatures, long distance driving, and added stress (mountain climbing, high speeds, etc.). I'm thinking that better cooling may alleviate the issue. JATCO and Nissan would understandably not want to actually fix it given A) not everyone experiences CVT failures, B) not all CVT-equipped cars run in problem-inducing conditions, C) replacing the stock cooler with a better one would cost them hundreds of dollars per car, and D) many of these problematic CVT-equipped cars may be out of warranty coverage soon.
To me, they seem like they are simply ignoring the problems, but not out of ignorance or a lack of a solution. I think it's a calculated and deliberate move to save on costs.

The very fact that the replacement CVT is acting up much like the first proves there needs to be more done than just replacing the CVT. An actual modification to the design needs to be implemented. Perhaps a better fluid also needs to be used.

Unless the owner can change the driving conditions, failure is bound to occur again and again regardless of new CVTs if the actual design (which is the flaw) does not change.
bootymac

Here's the stock cooler if anyone is interested:

http://suzukicarparts.com/parts/2012/Su ... am=1470065
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Here's the stock cooler if anyone is interested:

http://suzukicarparts.com/parts/2012/Su ... am=1470065
Well, this only furthers my hunch that maybe the RRM cooler is the way to go. There's a huge difference in size and shape between RRM and OEM.

The RRM cooler is 8.5 x 11 inches which is the same size as Letter paper.
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/in ... cts_id=697

The Kizashi's OEM cooler is tiny in comparison though possibly longer in length. Here's an Ebay listing where you can see it well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-12-SUZUKI-KI ... 1291162633

In case that link goes down, I've copied the photos from the listing (and of RRM's cooler) and have uploaded them below.

RRM's CVT Cooler:
IMG_3367_7790.jpg
IMG_3367_7790.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 5692 times

Suzuki OEM CVT Cooler:
$T2eC16VHJHwFG04V)6(LBSTy583u5w~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16VHJHwFG04V)6(LBSTy583u5w~~60_12.JPG (34.31 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
$T2eC16dHJGQFFhwktGBjBSTy58kYeg~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16dHJGQFFhwktGBjBSTy58kYeg~~60_12.JPG (36.86 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
bootymac

Something isn't right. I don't think the picture from RRM is the actual cooler as it would be way too dense for a 8.5"x11" radiator. It wouldn't be the first time RRM used random photos; the Kizashi's rear sway bar photo is from a Civic.
bootymac

Also, I don't have the exact measurements of the stock cooler (looks like ~4x20"?) but I don't think the RRM cooler will be an improvement.

The surface area of both coolers appear to be very similar. However, the stock cooler has the advantage of greater frontal area. Also, I believe longer tubes are more efficient.

I could be wrong though!