Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
krell

B&M SuperCoolers are 100% aluminum construction and use stamped plates
Attachments
BMM-70266_PZ.jpg
BMM-70266_PZ.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
bdleonard

bootymac wrote:Also, I don't have the exact measurements of the stock cooler (looks like ~4x20"?) but I don't think the RRM cooler will be an improvement.

The surface area of both coolers appear to be very similar. However, the stock cooler has the advantage of greater frontal area. Also, I believe longer tubes are more efficient.

I could be wrong though!
I took a quick rough measurement before. The stock CVT cooler on my 2013 is roughly 24" x 3" x 1", and sits nearly entirely in the lower grille. Airflow there should be excellent. I meant to take a more precise measurement when I had the bumper off to replace the headlights, but I forgot.

On the Kizashi, the standalone cooler and the in-radiator cooler appear to be connected in series. To my eye, it looks like it flows through the oil cooler first, followed by the radiator. If that is correct, it is possible that people having overheating issues might benefit from changing the routing of the hoses so that the fluid flows through the radiator first, then the standalone cooler. When conditions are very hot the radiator may actually be reheating the just cooled CVT fluid to some extent.

Has anybody identified the direction of the fluid flow through the system? Perhaps somebody has done a fluid exchange by disconnecting a cooler line?
Bizzenn

So the strangest thing happend today. I'm driving my car it's making the same noises and all of a sudden it just stopped making the noise.parked the car for a while got back in the car later drove it hard and still no noises just disappeared. We will see how long that lasts.
Ronzuki

Well, that could be good or it could be really bad...who the hell knows. I had a similar experience 2 weeks or so ago after making an evassive manuever around another suicidal buggy making a left across the road in front of me then stopping for no reason across both lanes. I was hauling along around a bend , VSC kicked in, anti-lock brakes, my steering input, the entire 9 yards. (yeah, it works as good as it's advertised...any other car and the buggy would've been toast). Managed to clear the thing going far left and off the berm a bit and kept on going. Drove another mile or so and came to a stop sign. When I took off from there it was whinning to beat the devil until I reached speed and eased of the accelerator. Another 2 miles I was home. Next morning back to 'normal' when I left for work. The only thing I can think off in that situation that would cause the sudden loud whinning is that the violent and sudden left/right sloshing of the fluid in the trans maybe temporarily starved the pump?? Again, who knows...the dealers don't, Suzuki won't care, and Jatco hasn't ever responded to any of my requests for information.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Bizzenn

Here's the think though. It has always done it consistently when at operating temp. Now it doesn't do it at all at least for now.
KuroNekko

Bizzenn wrote:Here's the think though. It has always done it consistently when at operating temp. Now it doesn't do it at all at least for now.
Where do you live?
The reason I ask is because most of the Eastern USA has seen a noticeable temperature drop in the last day or so and it will continually get colder. Given everything I've read on this CVT issue appears to be temperature-related, ambient temperature may have an effect.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Bizzenn

I'm in FL. It was 88 degrees and whining like crazy and then it just stopped and hasn't returned since. It's been about 4 days now.
Apostol

KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote:My concern is that if the CVT still shits the bed, then Suzuki will definitely pin the blame on the aftermarket cooler
I hear you on this, but it sounds like these bone-stock CVTs are prone to issues when temperatures heat up anyway. If it's really the case that these CVTs act up when things get hot, perhaps the aftermarket cooler will prevent it assuming they work to keep CVT fluid temperatures cooler than the stock cooler.

I think where you live and your mileage may be the best consideration in whether to pursue this aftermarket cooler as a possible remedy. Someone who lives in Canada and mainly uses the Kizashi as an AWD winter car (Bootymac?) may not even bother. On the contrary, someone like Apostol who lives in Arizona, has 94K miles (nearly out of powertrain warranty), and plans to keep the car may benefit from the aftermarket cooler.

Given Apostol's experiences and location, I'm interested in seeing if the cooler makes a difference in his car. He lives in a hot climate, has 2 other CVT Kizashis in the family fleet (control subjects), and pretty much knows the conditions when the CVT starts to act up from prior occurrences. He's also no stranger to modding as his fierce Kizashi reflects. He and his Kizashi simply make the best test subjects. No pressure or anything, Apostol! :lol:

I'd maybe try it out had I not had the row-your-own transmission which is the Honey badger of transmissions.

Haha I have been highly considering adding on a aftermarket cooler. I only have about 500 miles left until I hit the 100k mark. I have until this summer to have this figured out but would like to take care of it now as I will be going on some road trips here soon. But before I drop the money on the cooler I want to make sure I'm getting the best one that's compatible. That B&M cooler doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I will be researching more over the next month. What are your guys thoughts on which CVT cooler to get? I'm no pro when it comes to this as I'm still unfamiliar with CVT's, and a large portion of the world still does not understand them. It's quite humorous at this point.

My Dad and I have our own thoughts about what the issue is but before our cars are out of Warranty he went to our dealer, they will not service nor change the fluid on them. However, for like $130 they will re-program the CVT with some updates that are supposed to help out. So there's that.

I think we made a deal, haha My dad is going to get the CVT reprogram and I am going with the Cooler. I just need to figure out which one.

You should see the plans I have in store for 2015, I'm so exited to put more into it. Kizzy getting some upgrades.
bdleonard

Apostol wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote:My concern is that if the CVT still shits the bed, then Suzuki will definitely pin the blame on the aftermarket cooler
I hear you on this, but it sounds like these bone-stock CVTs are prone to issues when temperatures heat up anyway. If it's really the case that these CVTs act up when things get hot, perhaps the aftermarket cooler will prevent it assuming they work to keep CVT fluid temperatures cooler than the stock cooler.

I think where you live and your mileage may be the best consideration in whether to pursue this aftermarket cooler as a possible remedy. Someone who lives in Canada and mainly uses the Kizashi as an AWD winter car (Bootymac?) may not even bother. On the contrary, someone like Apostol who lives in Arizona, has 94K miles (nearly out of powertrain warranty), and plans to keep the car may benefit from the aftermarket cooler.

Given Apostol's experiences and location, I'm interested in seeing if the cooler makes a difference in his car. He lives in a hot climate, has 2 other CVT Kizashis in the family fleet (control subjects), and pretty much knows the conditions when the CVT starts to act up from prior occurrences. He's also no stranger to modding as his fierce Kizashi reflects. He and his Kizashi simply make the best test subjects. No pressure or anything, Apostol! :lol:

I'd maybe try it out had I not had the row-your-own transmission which is the Honey badger of transmissions.

Haha I have been highly considering adding on a aftermarket cooler. I only have about 500 miles left until I hit the 100k mark. I have until this summer to have this figured out but would like to take care of it now as I will be going on some road trips here soon. But before I drop the money on the cooler I want to make sure I'm getting the best one that's compatible. That B&M cooler doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I will be researching more over the next month. What are your guys thoughts on which CVT cooler to get? I'm no pro when it comes to this as I'm still unfamiliar with CVT's, and a large portion of the world still does not understand them. It's quite humorous at this point.

My Dad and I have our own thoughts about what the issue is but before our cars are out of Warranty he went to our dealer, they will not service nor change the fluid on them. However, for like $130 they will re-program the CVT with some updates that are supposed to help out. So there's that.

I think we made a deal, haha My dad is going to get the CVT reprogram and I am going with the Cooler. I just need to figure out which one.

You should see the plans I have in store for 2015, I'm so exited to put more into it. Kizzy getting some upgrades.
You already have a secondary CVT cooler from the factory. In my opinion you would be hard pressed to add a cooler with significantly better performance given the sizing and placement of the factory setup. If I ever get the time to figure out the proper command to get my OBD2 reader to show me the CVT temp, I plan to do some tests with the order of the two factory cooling loops swapped. I'm not sure what order the fluid flows (radiator, secondary cooler, CVT OR secondary cooler, radiator, CVT). The radiator portion will have the effect of bringing the CVT fluid to approximately the temp of the engine thermostat, so swapping the order may impact the temps.

If it was me, and I decided to add a cooler, I would probably replace the factory secondary cooler entirely rather then try to fit in a third cooler. It should make mounting and plumbing much easier. If you do decide to upgrade the cooler, it would be great if you could take some temperature readings before and after. Maybe of the CVT oil pan, following a common driving cycle, if you have access to an IR thermometer.
chase24870

So, its been a minute, eh fellas?

Any news on the whining and turbine chirping noise? Anyone ever find a source? I'm able to get the whining in every gear between 3 and 4k rpms, and yesterday during the end of a long long ride (roughly 200 miles) it started doing the whining through all of fourth gear, got VERY loud! Haven't been able to recreate it since but I would imagine that's because I haven't been able to get the CVT that hot again. Heading back later this week so I'll update then see if I can recreate the whining through 4th.

The chirping noise happens ever time I let off the gas, it's just louder when the revs are higher. If I rev to about 3k and let off the gas I can hear it pretty good, after 3k road noise quiets it down, but its still very noticeable even at 70mph on the interstate, so it gets louder as the revs go up.

I always ignored these since its pretty much always made these noises, but the whining through 4th scared me and got me digging.

About to take it to the dealer, and just wanted to see if you guys could give me a bit of info to pass along to the master tech (if there is any that is).

Cheers