Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Mike_

Ronzuki wrote:The whine is most likely the hydro pump. The whine changes with temp increase because the fluid it's pumping has changed. AFAIK, the pump pumps fluid in neutral as long as engine is running.
I was under the impression that there isn't a hydraulic pump in the Kizashi. The power steering is an electronic system. Unless you're talking about a different hydraulic pump?

Another thing I noticed is that there's a lower-pitched whirring noise when turning the wheel. I only notice it while the car is stationary (i.e. after backing out from a parking space), although that could just be because there's no road noise drowning it out.

Could these be linked? They both sound like a whur/whine, just at different pitches.
Woodie

He's talking about the hydraulic pump that pressurizes the CVT.

Yes the steering is electric instead of the more common hydraulic. Makes sense that you are hearing the electric motor of the steering rack when things are quiet. Pretty much every system in car has some kind of whir or whine to it.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Mike_

Woodie wrote:He's talking about the hydraulic pump that pressurizes the CVT.

Yes the steering is electric instead of the more common hydraulic. Makes sense that you are hearing the electric motor of the steering rack when things are quiet. Pretty much every system in car has some kind of whir or whine to it.
Okay thank you. Would this be cause for concern? I also checked the CVT fluid as described by the manual, and the level seemed a bit low. No burning or metal shavings though.