Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
twoqttsdad

I play my stereo whenever I'm driving so have not noticed the whining sound.
I step on the gas from a stop or a slow speed and quickly accelerate to 20 or 30 mph. I get off the gas and there's a high pitch decelerating whining sound, kind of like keeping the transmission in 1st gear. It sounds to me like the CVT. Gonna have it checked out by the dealer. Has anybody else encountered the same?
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
klement

That sounds like belt slipping to me ...
psydca

twoqttsdad, I can relate. I have a 2012 SLS and I have noticed this whining noise under two conditions: When the weather is hot AND I am travelling up many hills or driving for a long period of time. I have not brought it to the dealer b/c I cannot reproduce the noise. I am interested in hearing from others. My car has 25k and I have not had any problems with the engine/trans. Strange. Hope that it is not on its way to failing.
klement

psydca wrote:twoqttsdad, I can relate. I have a 2012 SLS and I have noticed this whining noise under two conditions: When the weather is hot AND I am travelling up many hills or driving for a long period of time. I have not brought it to the dealer b/c I cannot reproduce the noise. I am interested in hearing from others. My car has 25k and I have not had any problems with the engine/trans. Strange. Hope that it is not on its way to failing.
I had this exact same problem a week ago, was driving up and down hill a lot, revving the engine frequently uphill to overtake and downhill to brake. Then after ~2hrs, whenever I revved the engine to >5000rpm and then used the paddle shifter to engage higher gear (once on level road), then I would hear a whining noise.

I wasn't able to reproduce it on standstill by revving the engine and letting go of the gas pedal.

I then changed the driving style - used brakes more instead of downshift, after some more time the hilly terrain ended and when I tried later the whining noise disappeared.

I consulted this with Suzuki technician who said its a typical sign of v-belt slipping (the one that drives air con, etc.) and that when the belt gets hot, it can slip if the rpms change abruptly. Also, he explained that when vehicle is still and I just rev the engine and let go of the gas pedal, the change is not abrupt enough to cause the belt slippage.

He said that they are able to tense the belt a bit more but you can only go so far and if the issue doesn't show up under normal driving then its better to not change it at all.
twoqttsdad

That's good to hear!

Maybe I'll try driving the same with the A/C off and use some belt dressing. If the sound goes away I'll live with it or maybe ask the dealer to change out the belt.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
Ronzuki

twoqttsdad wrote:That's good to hear!

Maybe I'll try driving the same with the A/C off and use some belt dressing. If the sound goes away I'll live with it or maybe ask the dealer to change out the belt.
The belt klement is referring to is inside the transmission.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
klement

Ronzuki wrote:
twoqttsdad wrote:That's good to hear!

The belt klement is referring to is inside the transmission.
No, I am referring to the serpentine belt. The one that drives air conditioning, alternator, power steering, water pump etc.
Ronzuki

Ok, sorry. Topic is CVT whinning noise. :? Anyway, doubt it's the serp belt itself slipping & whinning... in a 2012. But hey, stranger things...
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
klement

Ronzuki wrote:Ok, sorry. Topic is CVT whinning noise. :? Anyway, doubt it's the serp belt itself slipping & whinning... in a 2012. But hey, stranger things...
Why do you doubt it?

I only heard it on the one occasion I mentioned ... driving in hills for a few hours while revving the engine a lot, otherwise it never happen, so I assume it's a corner case which I don't really need to be bothered with.
Woodie

I doubt it too. That's just the story they told you to make you go away.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency