A/C Compressor Clutch Bearing

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
kmerkel89

My AC is making a weird noise and I am going to start by replacing the A/C compressor clutch bearing. I cant find the part on rock auto/auto zone and advance auto parts. Can someone point me in the right direction on which one I need?

Also because I have to remove the serpentine belt, should I just replace it while I am doing this? Can this be replaced by just taking the front right tire off and accessing it from there or do I do it from the side & top.

I've just started doing work on my car instead of getting over-charged by dealers/repair shops and all help would be amazing.

I have a 2010 SE with about 75k on it.

Thanks!
KuroNekko

Yes, you should replace the belt, especially if you see small cracks in it. I haven't had to replace it yet, but I believe you can do it from the top of the engine by rotating the tensioner with a wrench.

As for the A/C compressor clutch bearing: That's going to be very difficult to find by just searching by the car. Even sites like suzukicarparts.com want to sell you the whole clutch at over $400. If you want to find only the bearing, you're going to have to figure out the OE maker and part number for the A/C compressor itself and search from there. But first, why do you think it's the A/C clutch bearings? What kind of noise are you hearing?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
kmerkel89

I will take a video tomorrow with the noise (its past 10pm EST). When ever my AC is on it makes a grinding noise. AC works perfectly, cold air and all. The research I've done so far might point to the bearing. With bearing's I've found only being $30(ish), its worth a try IMO. Anything else you think it could be?
KuroNekko

It really does sound like it's the A/C clutch bearings at fault. I think finding out the specifics of the A/C compressor (make and model) should help you find a replacement bearing. Best of luck.
kmerkel89

KuroNekko wrote:It really does sound like it's the A/C clutch bearings at fault. I think finding out the specifics of the A/C compressor (make and model) should help you find a replacement bearing. Best of luck.

I just called my local suzuki dealer and they said I have to purchase the whole clutch for ~400. They said they dont know what brand of AC compressor is in the kizashi.

Anyone know what kind of AC compressor came in the 2010 Kizashi SE AWD?
TheHolyGhost

Any chance of picking one from a junk yard? I imagine it might be hard to find a yard with a Kizashi, but it may be worth a shot.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
kmerkel89

I found some used AC compressors on ebay for under $100. All I would need is the clutch or clutch bearing off of it. Should I trust those?

Also all my buddys who I ask to help me with this project, once I mention we have to remove the serpentine belt they laugh and say no. Is it really that bad? The other write up on here about it and videos I have watched doesnt look too hard?
KuroNekko

kmerkel89 wrote:I found some used AC compressors on ebay for under $100. All I would need is the clutch or clutch bearing off of it. Should I trust those?

Also all my buddys who I ask to help me with this project, once I mention we have to remove the serpentine belt they laugh and say no. Is it really that bad? The other write up on here about it and videos I have watched doesnt look too hard?
Try to find an A/C clutch pulley with a bearing or just a bearing that's brand new. Maybe go carefully examine the A/C compressor to see if you find a brand and model #.

Also, get new friends. There was a member here who just replaced his belt. It's not hard. I haven't replaced mine yet, but recently replaced the belt on a VW Jetta's which was even 2-sided. It's not hard. You just have to make sure the belt is replaced correctly so it sits on the grooves of the pulleys.

The actual hardest part of your job will be removing the bearing from the clutch pulley. You'll have to press it out if good ol' hammering doesn't work. In fact, it's maybe a good idea to take it to a local mechanic and ask them to use a press to press out the bearing and press in the new one to minimize damage from beating it out/in.

Here's what the job should look like. This car is a Ford Mustang, but I imagine the job will be very similar.

Woodie

If you're concerned about removing the belt, then you have no business trying to remove and disassemble the clutch. Also, quiet when off and noisy when running sounds like the compressor itself to me, not the clutch.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
peezi

I'm about to switch out my A/C compressor, clutch bearing went out a week ago and caused the belt to snap after I turned the car off due to the heat of the burnt up bearing. I would just switch out the bearing, but it doesn't look easy and I can't seem to get all of the a/c clutch off the compressor. Tried to buy a repair manual, that didn't work so kinda on my own. I see 3 bolts that are easy to get too but then another 4 on the replacement compressor that I have no idea how to get too. Not sure if the 4 on top are actually accessible. Any advice?

As an FYI, I got the compressor on ebay for $120, stealership wanted $1700, aftermarket was $500+ and all was special order.
John PZ
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD