AWD MODE

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
pakizzie2015

What I'm largely curious about is whether this larger RRM CVT cooler actually helps to keep the CVT cooler and performing better.[/quote]
I read up a bit on the Nissan situation with their cvt's and people wanting to have this extra cooler.. seems it may solve one problem but create a second.. seems they need to keep the cvt at a certain temp both summer and winter.. but in the winter the larger cooler is causing the cvt not to warm up to normal temps .. with almost every Japanese companies going to cvt's now it is going to be harder to find your regular automatics. and I feel that the US makers will go that way eventually. I have a friend who has a Nissan rogue and another who has the sentra and neighbor with a Subaru forester and one with Toyota corolla no one seems to have issues with their cvt's.. but yet the all you hear is bad things. I know this technology is relatively new. but why so much good and bad here.. Hell regular gear trannys fail quickly.. look at jeep and their 9 speeds they are mess.. so many issues. I am so happy I have my 5 spd stick Pontiac.. I will enjoy it as long as I can.. and since my Suzuki is still covered under the powertrain warranty until 2018 I will just have to rely on it.. I love the car.. people can't believe it is a Suzuki. I really wish they would have stayed.. Oh and by the way.. also I remember someone mentioning that the car is old school now (engine wise) well you know what I am kind of happy about that.. this Direct injection they are using on cars now is a major tech nightmare . especially ford eco boost.. carbon build up and all . some so bad they have to replace heads..
all in the name of better millage . will I will keep my old school engine.
WESHOOT2

I leave mine in AWD; it enhances handling, and there is virtually no mileage penalty.

Floored..........
nytq

I don't feel any change unless the AWD actually engages and sends power to the rear wheels. Even then the only thing I notice is the fact that the car is moving as opposed to spinning wheels.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
KuroNekko

pakizzie2015 wrote: I read up a bit on the Nissan situation with their cvt's and people wanting to have this extra cooler.. seems it may solve one problem but create a second.. seems they need to keep the cvt at a certain temp both summer and winter.. but in the winter the larger cooler is causing the cvt not to warm up to normal temps .. with almost every Japanese companies going to cvt's now it is going to be harder to find your regular automatics. and I feel that the US makers will go that way eventually. I have a friend who has a Nissan rogue and another who has the sentra and neighbor with a Subaru forester and one with Toyota corolla no one seems to have issues with their cvt's.. but yet the all you hear is bad things. I know this technology is relatively new. but why so much good and bad here.. Hell regular gear trannys fail quickly.. look at jeep and their 9 speeds they are mess.. so many issues. I am so happy I have my 5 spd stick Pontiac.. I will enjoy it as long as I can.. and since my Suzuki is still covered under the powertrain warranty until 2018 I will just have to rely on it.. I love the car.. people can't believe it is a Suzuki. I really wish they would have stayed.. Oh and by the way.. also I remember someone mentioning that the car is old school now (engine wise) well you know what I am kind of happy about that.. this Direct injection they are using on cars now is a major tech nightmare . especially ford eco boost.. carbon build up and all . some so bad they have to replace heads..
all in the name of better millage . will I will keep my old school engine.
I think the issue with Ford EcoBoost isn't so much due to direct injection but forced induction given EcoBoosts are turbocharged engines (hence the "Boost"). Other brands like Toyota did R&D for about a decade on Gasoline Direct Injection to make sure their products wouldn't suffer from fouling when they introduced GDI into their models. Basically, not all manufacturers can be treated the same based on the same technology. This also applies to CVTs. The Kizashi uses a CVT supplied by JATCO who also supplies Nissan. Honda uses their own. Toyota uses Aisin which is a parts subsidiary that they mostly own. Subaru makes their own CVTs too. So basically, you have different manufacturers making the same kind of transmission. Hence, the reliability will differ based on maker. Honda, Subaru, and Toyota CVTs have proved to be rather reliable. Nissan ones from JATCO, not so much but depending on the car. Smaller cars do okay (like the Versa) but the larger, heavier ones like the Pathfinder had significant issues with CVTs in them. I'd say the Kizashi is somewhere closer to the middle. CVT failures aren't common, but not exactly unheard of here. CVT failures and accidents are the leading causes of members here parting with their Kizashis.

That being said, I agree that old tech is rather safe. I expect little trouble from my Kizashi for the long haul given it's a manual and the Kizashi's J24B engine is an older multipoint injection engine. It's not exactly the most efficient, but this design has been around for many years. In addition, the engine uses a timing chain which can be regarded as maintenance-free and expected to last the life of the vehicle. Japanese vehicle electronics also are the very best out there for reliability.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

I don't think anyone has figured out GDI yet. The lack of port injection results in carbon fouled intake valves and a significant loss of performance. The only fix is to physically clean the valves, which requires a lot of engine work. Catch cans don't help as the carbon build up is not from recirculation; it's from oil within the combustion chamber.

Newer iterations adjusted the angle of the injector so that some fuel is sprayed on the intake valves but it's not a great fix. They're also trying different materials and coatings on the valves to delay or prevent build up.

Toyota is the exception as they use a dual injector setup with both port and direct injection. Still seems overly complex for questionable benefits.

GDI also destroys engine oil with fuel dilution so you're forced into more expensive synthetic oil and more frequent changes.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote: Toyota is the exception as they use a dual injector setup with both port and direct injection. Still seems overly complex for questionable benefits.
Do they use this set-up in engines other than ones running an Atkinson cycle? It does seem complex, but it apparently gives the engine the benefit of GDI power yet the efficiency of the Atkinson cycle engine. It's how the new Tacoma's V6 engine is 100 HP more powerful than the base 4 banger but also more fuel efficient than it in both city and hwy ratings. I guess time will tell if this new tech was worth it or hurts Toyota's reputation as reliability king.
kconklin33

Don't be worried man, I've driven my car down to Virginia, South Carolina, Jersey Shore, NYC, OCMD all in the summer and never had an issue. Mine will whine every know and then when it's freezing and when its 90+ degrees but that's usually an indicator to stop beating on her. Personally speaking I think you have no reason to worry. I too will run my car in AWD when hydroplaning is an issue
Firefly

I kept mine in AWD just about all the time. More fun especially through curves and corners. No noticeable difference from FWD in any other way.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
pakizzie2015

Well last night after my early rehearsal I hit the massive storm that blew through the Hazleton area.. MY GOD that was like a tornado. those winds were very strong and rain well it was almost inpossible to see.. I USED THE AWD just in case.. car felt like it had traction all the way home. had to hang on to the wheel harder as the car was being pushed from side to side and this was only going 30mph. any faster and I think people would have been crashing all over the place.. there was a bit of hail so I am not looking forward to looking at the paint but I think it was pea size or smaller but you could hear it. and then another storm around 1:30 am , same thing fast and powerful winds. amazing for February .
KuroNekko

pakizzie2015 wrote:Well last night after my early rehearsal I hit the massive storm that blew through the Hazleton area.. MY GOD that was like a tornado. those winds were very strong and rain well it was almost inpossible to see.. I USED THE AWD just in case.. car felt like it had traction all the way home. had to hang on to the wheel harder as the car was being pushed from side to side and this was only going 30mph. any faster and I think people would have been crashing all over the place.. there was a bit of hail so I am not looking forward to looking at the paint but I think it was pea size or smaller but you could hear it. and then another storm around 1:30 am , same thing fast and powerful winds. amazing for February .
I work in DC and live in Maryland. I was also caught in that storm. I heard a little bit of small hail for a short while and nearly freaked out. I really don't want dents.