What Did You Do With Your Kizashi Today?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
kconklin33

Hey guys, some of you might recall my engine issues in the past but... anyway ran into a few issues this week. Drove to work 5 miles car had no issues, drove to a gas station during my lunch break (1 mile) and when I got back to work my car overheated. Temp gauge was going up as I pulled into work, had coolant spewing all over from the top of the coolant reservoir at the air release nipple from boiling. I did a quick scan over the engine and couldn't find any other leaks. Let the car sit for the rest of the day and got in it to drive home. Made it 1/2 a mile and began overheating again. I pulled over and had a coworker drive me to a gas station to get more coolant. Filled up the reservoir and radiator, let the car run to burp out any air, and then began driving again. Another 1/2 mile and the car began overheating again. The car at no point would overheat while idling but as soon at the tach went up to 1000-1200 rpm so would the temp gauge. Also should be noted I tried running my heat to see if maybe the thermostat wasn't opening. I ended up coasting it to a very reputable local shop, luckily it was less than a 1/2 mile and all down hill so it literally didn't require throttle. Anyway... the shop did pressure tests on the coolant system and found no leaks whatsoever. Moving forward the owner of the shop wanted to run a headgasket test on it just to be sure that wasn't the issue so he can further diagnose things. Headgasket test revealed nothing there, thank god. He ran another pressure test on it, checked the thermostat again, checked all the hoses etc... and the car stopped overheating. They drove it around for half an our and had no issues. I have the car back now but I'm very skeptical about driving so for now I'm going to keep it on local rides at least for a couple weeks before I determine if I trust it or not. Any thoughts on what it could be?
KuroNekko

kconklin33 wrote:Hey guys, some of you might recall my engine issues in the past but... anyway ran into a few issues this week. Drove to work 5 miles car had no issues, drove to a gas station during my lunch break (1 mile) and when I got back to work my car overheated. Temp gauge was going up as I pulled into work, had coolant spewing all over from the top of the coolant reservoir at the air release nipple from boiling. I did a quick scan over the engine and couldn't find any other leaks. Let the car sit for the rest of the day and got in it to drive home. Made it 1/2 a mile and began overheating again. I pulled over and had a coworker drive me to a gas station to get more coolant. Filled up the reservoir and radiator, let the car run to burp out any air, and then began driving again. Another 1/2 mile and the car began overheating again. The car at no point would overheat while idling but as soon at the tach went up to 1000-1200 rpm so would the temp gauge. Also should be noted I tried running my heat to see if maybe the thermostat wasn't opening. I ended up coasting it to a very reputable local shop, luckily it was less than a 1/2 mile and all down hill so it literally didn't require throttle. Anyway... the shop did pressure tests on the coolant system and found no leaks whatsoever. Moving forward the owner of the shop wanted to run a headgasket test on it just to be sure that wasn't the issue so he can further diagnose things. Headgasket test revealed nothing there, thank god. He ran another pressure test on it, checked the thermostat again, checked all the hoses etc... and the car stopped overheating. They drove it around for half an our and had no issues. I have the car back now but I'm very skeptical about driving so for now I'm going to keep it on local rides at least for a couple weeks before I determine if I trust it or not. Any thoughts on what it could be?
I'd first want to say a stuck thermostat, but that would have prevented the coolant from cycling hence the coolant wouldn't necessarily boil over in the overflow, but rather get hot as it's stuck in the engine. I was also thinking maybe a failing water pump. Did you check it thoroughly? Many have weep holes in them and will drip out coolant when they are malfunctioning.
However, all things considered, it sounds like a pressurization issue. Maybe the radiator cap wasn't fully sealing? That would explain it best, I think. Did the mechanics check it during the pressure test?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
kconklin33

My thoughts were exactly your Kuro, however, thermostat is functioning as it should as is the water pump. Everything was checked during the pressure test and it was performed multiple times.
Ronzuki

I'd replace the cap and thermostat w/ OE parts as a precautionary measure. Both devices can act flakey under the right conditions. The acts of testing quite obviously affected something in a positive manner. Start w/ the radiator cap...easiest, simplest, cheapest, least involved, and, likely the culprit.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
golftango

Got my Kizashi back, a couple minor nitpick issues, but all in all a solid repair.

2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
vikrantgulatee

Thanks for the info on rear shocks guys... So I went to the Suzuki service station and they want mt to get the link rods., jumper bushes and end bushes changed. Also my front brake shoes are dunzo.. This all to correct a wobble in the steering... So ordered all the parts.. Will take 3-4dayz to get them... Also I am getting 7-8km/l mileage in the city.. Is that the norm.... Will cleaning spark plugs or injectors help.. Or even perhaps the throttle body.. On a side note.. Wanted to get the cabin filter changed, well it is 110$..now looking to do a diy for the filter... 8-)
Woodie

Cabin filter costs about $30, if you search for the one for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo it costs about $15. You have cut off a small plastic tab. Goes in the glovebox, there's a how-to on this site somewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_f ... aveo&ajr=0
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
vikrantgulatee

Thanks woodie... Will check it out tomorrow... I was under the impression that Sx4 filter would be the closest match... What about shockers... I am having a hard time sourcing it here in India..originals are costing me a fortune . Any other cars which share the same shocks/struts.... Sourcing Kizashi parts is a pain in my part of the world. Only 3000 odd
kizashis were sold from 2012-2014 :roll: ..so yeah we'll... Hunt is on... :D
KuroNekko

vikrantgulatee wrote:Thanks woodie... Will check it out tomorrow... I was under the impression that Sx4 filter would be the closest match... What about shockers... I am having a hard time sourcing it here in India..originals are costing me a fortune . Any other cars which share the same shocks/struts.... Sourcing Kizashi parts is a pain in my part of the world. Only 3000 odd
kizashis were sold from 2012-2014 :roll: ..so yeah we'll... Hunt is on... :D
Can you get aftermarket parts? KYB is the maker of the original shocks but they also make an aftermarket shock for the Kizashi which is much cheaper than getting it through the dealer. While it may not have the proper valving for the Sport models, it will suffice as a replacement shock.

The cabin air filter is very easy to change and takes about 4 minutes for me. As Woodie state, these filters aren't proprietary to the car so you can use one intended for another car if it fits nicely.

Lastly about fuel economy: Your fuel efficiency is rather poor but if your driving is mostly in city conditions with heavy traffic, it's rather expected. In mixed driving, you should get in the 9 to 10 km per liter range. 12 to 13 for the highway.

What's the mileage on the car? I wouldn't bother cleaning the iridium spark plugs that it comes with. If your car has over 100,000km, just replace all four spark plugs.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

Sorry, was just thinking about US, as we have a tendency to do.

Chevrolet Aveo is a Daewoo Lanos or Gentra in other countries.

KYB 339265 and 339266 in front, 349141 fits both sides in the rear.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency