Initial Start up

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Brock

The old warm up the car speech.

Question is with a car like the Kizashi do you need to in normal weather especially in Aus.

I hit the start button, throw it into reverse.

Is that bad? Like don't get me wrong I'm not an idiot. But I don't let it idil up at all.

Is it really a problem these days?

Cheers
- Brock
KuroNekko

Warming up a vehicle is no longer necessary. This is the case for all cars in almost all regions. There are many reasons why but the main ones have to do with modern multi-grade oils and electronic fuel injection. These two implementations have made warming up a car by idling rather pointless. In fact, many engineers now argue that idling a car for a lengthy amount of time when the engine is cold can actually promote engine wear. Also, and commonly overlooked, is the fact that you can't warm up a transmission (regardless of type) without driving the car. A lot of people believe warming up an engine is a good idea because it used to be helpful decades ago when cars had carburetors and used single grade motor oils. However, no modern car uses either so much like the 3000 mile oil change, the practice is really obsolete and pointless in today's modern vehicles.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Wouldn't hurt to give it a minute for the oil to circulate
Brock

Awesome Thanks for the info. I thought it might of been an older thing.

Cheers
LPSISRL

What bootymac said. At least you need to wait for oil pressure to come up.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Speed_Racer

I let it idle for as long as it takes to fasten my seatbelt and get music going, so about 10 seconds or less.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
KuroNekko

Here's an article I read a while ago that explains why modern engines don't need to be warmed up at idle and also why it's possibly harmful to do so for a prolonged time.
While a minute or so should be fine, you definitely don't need to leave it idling to "warm up" for any duration longer than that.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a1 ... ms-engine/
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

Keep in mind that "cold" is relative. My "cold" engine is usually above 40 degrees in my garage even in the dead of winter. That's vastly different than in my old days where my car sat all night in -20 degrees F.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
SamirD

I'll usually start it and wait until the rpms start dropping to around 1000. In the winter if we don't do this, you can hear more engine mechanical noise (which is never good).