Engine service light

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
fernbrae

Well I have tried every thing and not been able to get rid of the Engine light .
I have tested the purge valve , off the vehicle and it works perfectly .
Power it and the solenoid works and the valve works by blowing through the valve .
However I cannot get voltage at the plug with the multi meter on startup or with the ignition on .
I have it booked in with the dealer on Thursday morning for the inspection , and hopefully the fix .
I can cancel /erase the code and drive the vehicle without the engine light returning , as soon as it is stopped and restarted , the engine light reappears , mystery ??
I will let you know what turns up after the dealer inspects the vehicle .
Hopefully not too much !!!
Regards and thanks for all the replies .
Greg
Woodie

fernbrae wrote:Well I have tried every thing and not been able to get rid of the Engine light .
I have tested the purge valve , off the vehicle and it works perfectly .
Power it and the solenoid works and the valve works by blowing through the valve .
That's why the error code says "Purge Valve CIRCUIT".
fernbrae wrote:However I cannot get voltage at the plug with the multi meter on startup or with the ignition on .
There's your problem, no 12V to the valve.
fernbrae wrote:I can cancel /erase the code and drive the vehicle without the engine light returning , as soon as it is stopped and restarted , the engine light reappears , mystery ??
No mystery at all, that's exactly what I would expect. That system is used two hours (or so, don't feel like looking it up) after you park the car.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
fernbrae

Hi Woody ,
thanks for your post , what does two hours have to do with the engine light problem.
I am well aware that if we have /show no voltage at the plug then there is another problem .
It would seem from the reading that it is in the ECM -but having limited electronic knowledge , I do not wish the play with the ECM as may cause further damage and thus more rectification costs.
When you say you don`t have time to look it up, where would you find this information , I have time to look it up if I knew where to look .

Thanks all
Rgds
Greg
bootymac

The system runs when the vehicle is off, so that would trigger the CEL
fernbrae

Hi Bootymac ,
that is interesting , so the vehicle is constantly testing itself --by what you say ?
I would have thought that it would not be in operation until the ignition is on ?
Electronics are not my strong suit , if it was mechanical then I can most likely replace the part and fix the problem .
But - tomorrow is the day it goes to the dealer so we will see what is diagnosed and --goodness what it will cost yipes .
Rgds
Greg
murcod

This would be what others have alluded to (cut from another post):
LEAK DETECTION PUMP

Your vehicle has a pump to regularly check the vehicle's evaporate emission control system for leaks. This check is performed approximately 5 hours after the engine is turned off. During this leak check, you may hear a sound coming from the vehicle for several minutes. This sound is normal and does not indicate a malfunction.
Whether it's related to the problem or not is anyone's guess. The system is also operational when the engine is running (to purge stored fumes from the canister.) http://repairpal.com/evaporative-control-system
David
murcod

More info here: http://avnet.synology.me/kizashi/Xml/SAW10A/index.html

Look under - Engine - Aux Emission Control Devices.
The EVAP system restrains hydrocarbons namely fuel vapors from emitting into the atmosphere. However, the fuel vapors’ pressure in the fuel tank (4) may rise affected by change of ambient temperature, barometric pressure or refueling, and the pressurized vapors are conducted into the EVAP canister so as to maintain the tank pressure normal. Active carbon in the EVAP canister cleans up the hydrocarbons absorbing and storing them, and excess pressure is released to the atmosphere.
The active carbon stores the hydrocarbons until the engine is able to consume them. According to the engine operational state, ECM duty-controls EVAP purge valve to allow engine vacuum to be applied to the EVAP canister, at the same time, fresh air flows into the canister and pulls fuel vapors from the active carbon. The fuel vapor from the canister flows into the intake manifold to be consumed during combustion. Through this duty-controlled purge function, active carbon in the canister recovers its absorbing capacity.
I think you'll find the ECU will be switching the earth to the purge valve - rather than the +12v (that's how ECU's normally switch power to devices, but I could be wrong.) So the +12V supply may not have any connection to the ECU.

It may also be a case of the ECU only switching the valve open during certain predetermined driving conditions. ie. not necessarily with the engine idling.
David
fernbrae

HI Murcod ,
thanks for this link , it is much easier to understand than the other service manual that I downloaded .
On the scanner , at idle it does not show any % on the purge valve , when you hold about 2000 RPM then I get the % from the purge valve operating .
However , when you turn the car off the code reappears , it is with the dealer today so will find out the bad news later today .
Thanks again .
Rgds
Greg
murcod

Good luck Greg. Hopefully nothing needs to be replaced (it will hurt enough just paying for the labour rates.)
David
fernbrae

Hi guys ,
just got the call , broken wires in the loom.
Apparently both the negative trigger and the positive trigger wires have no continuity .
So have to remove loom and find the break.
They asked if it had been in an accident , as I purchased second hand , I don`t know , but I did have a very good look over the car especially the engine bay and all looked same a new .
Ah well about $ 600 bucks later .
Thanks again all for your help.

regards
Greg