CVT Transmission starting to fail

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
bmw&kizzyownr

I've had the same results as "DiggerDerrik". I have over 55K on my red 2011 SLS CVT AWD Nav equipped Kizashi and haven't had one problem with the transmission. I also haven't had any problems with headlights burning out like several on this forum have. Yes, that's probably just dumb 'luck'. However, the issues with the CVT may have something to do with the way the vehicle is driven. I don't drive like a madman (but I don't baby it either) and/or floor it till my speed catches up with the revs. I'm not saying others do... but I've owned a 'shitload' of cars and have found the better I treat them the better they perform. Maybe some of the previously drivers of Kizzy's that people bought preowned drove their vehicles like racecars...which they clearly aren't. For me, the Kizashi has proven to be a very, very dependable car with a plethora of standard options. The electronics, displays (NAV, Speedometer), engine technology, etc. may be old tech but these items have proved to be very reliable. In fact, I will sell one of my BMWs before I get rid of the Kizashi. However, like one of the advertisements for EPA mileage estimates displayed on vehicles (especially TDI VWs & Mitsubishis) states; "your results may vary". :)
DiggerDerrik

Finished filter and fluid change on CVT. It ended up changing about 60-70% of the fluid just dropping the pan and the filter. It holds, I believe, about 8 quarts and to fill it back up took 5. I'm like bmw&kizzyowner. I bought the car cause it rides and handles nicely. I'm not out racing it but I push the car on corners. Never had an issue. I do however have to change the headlights about twice a year. I've learned to accept it. You can buy the halogens from Amazon for $15. I have it down to a science. If it's the passenger side u can do it without removing the bumper. If it's the drivers side you have to at least loosen bumper up. I only replace about half the bolts to make the process easier. Looking forward to the next 100k with this car
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
Triggerhappy

DiggerDerrik wrote:
On a side note my car still has like 50%+ of the FACTORY brakes :lol: I wonder if that's common for all Kiz
I'm at 103,000 miles I'm still on my original brakes too. The first 36,000 miles was mostly city driving and the miles since had been mostly highway. A lot of people on this forum seem to have normal brake wear except for some with abnormal rear brake wear.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
DiggerDerrik

I am guilty of never having checked the rears but I check the fronts every oil change and they look darn near new
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
n8dogg

DiggerDerrik wrote:I am guilty of never having checked the rears but I check the fronts every oil change and they look darn near new
I would check those rears right away then! Replaced mine at about 45,000. The fronts still look great.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
wjsimpson86

Mines at 58k and I have 4 mm left on the rear pads. What fluid and filter did you use? I too have the delay with reverse and my CVT fluid looks good so maybe it is normal.
LPSISRL

I believe the spec for the time to go from neutral into drive is something like 3 seconds. An eternity when you want to get going!
Edit: verified from service manual. It is 3 seconds.
Last edited by LPSISRL on Mon May 23, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
wjsimpson86

Yeah no kidding made me think the car was messed up
WESHOOT2

I continue to pound the snot out of my second Kizashi, and I've never done anything to the CVTs. Nothing.
Other than the fact that this one whines under acceleration, it seems fine.

It's been suggested to me that a complete CVT power-flush can help with the whine (and potential issues).
DesRado

Replaced my rear brakes last weekend. They were pretty much shot. 1/32" left of pad. The fronts are okay. Might replace them too though, the new brake I put on the rears give off very little dust.
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP