Kizashi v Mazda 6

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
paininthenuts

I have heard people on the forum mention the Mazda 6 on more than one occasion, so I have decided to carry out a comparison. Taking into account the difference in the international markets, I can only do this based on the UK example. With previous models, I don't think it was possible to do this, as until now the Mazda 6 has been a little drab looking, and hardly a sports salloon like the Kizi. The new Mazda 6 however is a fantastic looking car. In the Uk the most powerful petrol engine is a 165 bhp 2 ltr, but this is not available in an auto. As the only Kizi available in the UK was a CVT sport, I will not make this comparison. The closest is a 2.2 deisel sport unit which has a 175 bhp unit under the bonet. The performance is similar, but it is no surprise that the Mazda's economy is far better. Given the choice I would definately have the Mazda enging in my car. Specification is also about the same, with the Mazda having a sat nav as standard, but no 4x4 or a sunroof. I would therefore have to say that the Kizi spec edges it on this basis. Although the new Mazda 6 does look great, I still think the Kizi looks better, especially considering it's rarety.

If the price were the same, I would struggle to make a decision, although the Mazda's engine would have me leaning one direction, and the Kizi's 4x4 the other. The big difference is that I picked up my Kizi for £14k, although the original selling price was £23k, the new Mazda 6 sport deisel is nearly £27k. Money talks, and I would therefore go for the Kizi.

Edited by Murcod.... tread carefully - move on from the past. ;)
KuroNekko

Welcome back from your 2 week (forced) vacation, paininthenuts. :lol:

I really like the new Mazda6 myself.
In terms of a comparison, there are both pros and cons when comparing the two cars. I've not driven the new 6 so I'll compare them more generally.

Mazda simply has better engine technology than Suzuki. For a small company, they are very impressive with the amount of R&D they do, especially with engines. They alone kept Rotary/Wankel engine going in automotive applications and are even rumored to still be working on a next gen rotary.
Their new SkyActiv engines are nothing short of impressive engineering. They avoided turbocharging or hybrid technology and went with efficient high-compression ratio N/A engines. These new SkyActivs are proving to be very reliable and returning great fuel economy. Mazda also offers a capacitor-based system for energy conservation to boost fuel economy called i-Eloop.
Mazdas also have great chassis and are the most fun to drive in their segments. From compacts to large SUVs, they usually offer the best handling products. Mazdas have been referred to as the "poor man's BMW" by car enthusiasts.

However, Mazda isn't without fault. They are not as durable as their Japanese counterparts. I have no doubt the Kizashi is better built than most Mazdas though I've not been around the new 6 much to say definitively.
Mazdas are notorious for wind noise, road noise, harsh rides, etc. because they don't use too much insulation and prefer a firm suspension set-up over a soft one. This gives them good handling, but a harsher ride. This was exemplified in my former Mazda3 and the noise and harsh ride was the main reason I went for the Kizashi which is much more comfortable and refined.
Mazdas also aren't the safest cars. I don't know about the new 6, but I doubt it's up to the Kizashi's stellar crash test scores.

Basically, I think the Mazda6 has a much better engine and they offer diesel (which is supposed to be coming to the US soon too). However, they are like Suzuki and do not offer a V6 or turbo anymore in the Mazda6. Right now, there is only one engine for the USDM Mazda6.
Mazda's transmissions are also much better. Their manual is among the best in class and I can tell you from personal experience that Mazda's manual shifter is a lot better than the Kizashi's. It's precise and notchy in a way the Kizashi's isn't much.
Mazda also avoids CVTs so their autos are more responsive while offering superior fuel efficiency.

That being said, Mazda is like many others and wants you to buy a CUV in order to get AWD. Suzuki offered AWD in their sedans like the Kizashi and SX4. The only recent Mazda sedan to offer AWD in the US was the late Mazdaspeed6. While I personally liked that car, I've heard it's not very durable compared to a Subaru WRX/STI or Mitsubishi Evo.

Given my previous ownership experiences with both Suzuki and Mazda, I believe the Suzuki is better built for durability and will last longer down the line. My old Suzuki Sidekick took a beating offroading and was very reliable and durable. My Mazda3 was treated much better yet was the most problematic car I've owned (though thanks to many Ford-sourced parts in it).
The new Mazdas are Ford-free for the most part and are already showing much better reliability, but their long-term durability still needs to be proven. The other Japanese brands simply have a better track record.

So in the end, both have advantages and weaknesses compared to each other.
However, as you said, Kizashis can be acquired for a good price and they are near unbeatable in value. This is what makes the Kizashi so special. You get so much for the money, especially as a used vehicle. I have a very nicely equipped Kizashi with low miles and I paid damn-near base model Toyota Yaris money for it.
Win.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Firefly

It so happens I picked up a 2015 Mazda6 to replace my Kizashi, which has an expiring lease.

I had leased the Kiz in early 2011 when things were still looking hopeful for Suzuki in the U.S. so while I got a good deal, it was not as good as deals would get...Mazda is struggling to get sales going on the 6, so good deals can be had. So, for me, the cost of getting one compares closely.

What stands out to me-
Kizashi: Connected road feel, AWD, Excellent quality of build/materials. RF subwoofer. Beautiful design that stand out.
Mazda6: Roomy, smooth isolated ride, 19" wheels smoother than The 18's on the Kiz, excellent fuel economy.

They both have standout looks - a benefit to low sales...and both look like more expensive vehicles. Both are a pleasure to drive, each in its own way.

Hope this helps. Had the car four days, so far so good...
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
KuroNekko

Firefly wrote:It so happens I picked up a 2015 Mazda6 to replace my Kizashi, which has an expiring lease.

I had leased the Kiz in early 2011 when things were still looking hopeful for Suzuki in the U.S. so while I got a good deal, it was not as good as deals would get...Mazda is struggling to get sales going on the 6, so good deals can be had. So, for me, the cost of getting one compares closely.

What stands out to me-
Kizashi: Connected road feel, AWD, Excellent quality of build/materials. RF subwoofer. Beautiful design that stand out.
Mazda6: Roomy, smooth isolated ride, 19" wheels smoother than The 18's on the Kiz, excellent fuel economy.

They both have standout looks - a benefit to low sales...and both look like more expensive vehicles. Both are a pleasure to drive, each in its own way.

Hope this helps. Had the car four days, so far so good...
I'm eager to know how the 6 handles compared to the Kizashi. The 6 has always had the reputation for being best-in-class, but the Kizashi was known among enthusiasts and auto journalists as the car that came out of nowhere and ranked right up there in handling.
The AWD in the Kizashi then gave it that all-weather advantage over the 6 which are all FWD.

I personally cannot wait until I see the manual Mazda6 diesel in the United States. It's like an enthusiast's dream come true given most Americans apathetic to cars hate manuals and distrust diesel. Imbeciles, I tell you!
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
paininthenuts

I'm eager to know how the 6 handles compared to the Kizashi. The 6 has always had the reputation for being best-in-class, but the Kizashi was known among enthusiasts and auto journalists as the car that came out of nowhere and ranked right up there in handling.
The AWD in the Kizashi then gave it that all-weather advantage over the 6 which are all FWD.

I personally cannot wait until I see the manual Mazda6 diesel in the United States. It's like an enthusiast's dream come true given most Americans apathetic to cars hate manuals and distrust diesel. Imbeciles, I tell you![/quote]

As far as cars go, the States is like a different planet to the UK. Diesel cars outsell petrol here, and 9 out of 10 cars are manual. Without wanting to appear rude, American cars are considered quite primitive, and a program called Top Gear (very funny) often laugh at them. It's quite strange that in this day and age Americans still love gas guzzling big petrol engine'd cars so much. I suppose it is because your roads are so much bigger, and fuel so much cheaper.
Firefly

KuroNekko wrote:

I personally cannot wait until I see the manual Mazda6 diesel in the United States. It's like an enthusiast's dream come true given most Americans apathetic to cars hate manuals and distrust diesel. Imbeciles, I tell you!
The "best-in-class" is probably true, but that class includes Camry, Accord, Fusion, Altima...and down the hill from there.

From what I have read, the Fusion may be the next closest, but I had rented one recently, and while it was pleasant, it had that American soft disconnected feel. They did something with the muffler tuning to give it growl, but it sounds fake and kind of silly to me.

As for the 6, the steering feel is certainly less "connected" than the Kizashi, but the weight of the wheel is good and the response is pretty good. In cornering, there is little body roll. For a FWD, the understeer is pretty well controlled in the bends. The 19" wheels with the familiar Dunlop SPs :o actually feel much better on rough than I had feared. Much better than the 18s of the Kizashi.

The road feel of the Kizashi is definitely closer to a BMW, and that feel is not for everybody. When every bump, crack, rut or what ever pavement feature is fed to the steering wheel, its sometimes pleasant sometimes not.

You should test drive one and see. Mazda dealers are eager to meet people these days...
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
murcod

From what I've read (handling wise) the current model 6 has been "softened" compared to the earlier versions. We had a 2006 GG1032 and it's handling was very sharp on the 17" alloys, but you felt/ heard every bump and the ride quality wasn't as composed as the Kizashi. The shock absorbers also didn't feel up to the job when you hit mid corner bumps. It was bought new, so it wasn't a case of a worn out vehicle.

The early model 6's were really blasted by the local press for poor NVH isolation.
David
krell

Me also waiting for the manual diesel Mazda6
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
paininthenuts

krell wrote:Me also waiting for the manual diesel Mazda6
Hopefully you read this link

http://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda6-salo ... nd-prices/
murcod

Be careful with the diesels if you don't do long trips. A lot of people in Australia have found problems with the engine oil being diluted due to the engine ECU injecting extra diesel to clean the DPF. You end up having to get the oil changed more often. A few people on a Mazda forum I used to frequent found it was better if they used a lower gear/ drove it harder.

Sort of defeats the purpose of having the diesel for the economy!
David