Noisy, thrashing engine is getting old.

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
bdleonard

KuroNekko wrote:
11zukizashi wrote:This was definitely what was causing my problem. I just applied a strip of 3m tape on the bottom side of the flange under the gasket and put the gasket over it and the vibration and noise is completely gone. The filter went back into the airbox nice and snug but it closed very nicely without any extra effort.
I work in automotive manufacturing and this dimensional mismatch is unacceptable. On a feature like this flange, the tolerance for the thickness should be a few hundredths of a millimeter. I have driven about 3000 miles on this filter, I hope unfiltered air hasn't been leaking through the gap.
This is the filter I have
Called it!
I grabbed one of these Ecogard air filters from Amazon 6 months or so ago to take a look at it, since they were so inexpensive. The included gasket is definitely too thin, but the filter material and the frame seem to be decent and proper, at least on my example. If you want to use one of these Ecogard filters all you need to do is throw the gasket that is on the Ecogard in the trash, remove the gasket from your current air filter, and place it on the Ecogard.

I've got a Purolator on the shelf that seems to be just fine out of the box, as you would expect. Of course the Purolator is 3x the price of this filter.
11zukizashi

bdleonard wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:
11zukizashi wrote:This was definitely what was causing my problem. I just applied a strip of 3m tape on the bottom side of the flange under the gasket and put the gasket over it and the vibration and noise is completely gone. The filter went back into the airbox nice and snug but it closed very nicely without any extra effort.
I work in automotive manufacturing and this dimensional mismatch is unacceptable. On a feature like this flange, the tolerance for the thickness should be a few hundredths of a millimeter. I have driven about 3000 miles on this filter, I hope unfiltered air hasn't been leaking through the gap.
This is the filter I have
Called it!
I grabbed one of these Ecogard air filters from Amazon 6 months or so ago to take a look at it, since they were so inexpensive. The included gasket is definitely too thin, but the filter material and the frame seem to be decent and proper, at least on my example. If you want to use one of these Ecogard filters all you need to do is throw the gasket that is on the Ecogard in the trash, remove the gasket from your current air filter, and place it on the Ecogard.

I've got a Purolator on the shelf that seems to be just fine out of the box, as you would expect. Of course the Purolator is 3x the price of this filter.
I did inspect the filter paper and it seemed the same as my original. Unfortunately I didnt compare the gaskets before i trashed the original
bdleonard

11zukizashi wrote:I did inspect the filter paper and it seemed the same as my original. Unfortunately I didnt compare the gaskets before i trashed the original
I figured that was probably the case for you. I though I'd check out swapping the gasket over just in case somebody else runs into this situation in the future.