Engine service light

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
fernbrae

Hi Gentlemen ,
just joined , bought the wife a Kizashi early March this year 2010 model .
When we took it home the first day it was all fine , the next day the engine service light appeared , I looked on this great site and found some information , removed the plug from the emission control valve / solenoid and sprayed with WD 40 lubricant , next day when started , no light , I thought fixed .?
Anyway , now the light has appeared again - I have removed the solenoid valve and cleaned with carbie cleaner then flooded with wd 40 and also powered the solenoid from the battery and the solenoid works every tine it is activated .
Last night reinstalled the valve and removed the Positive battery cable to reset the computer , started the car , and no lights , yippee thought all was ok , took for a drive and worked it pretty hard and all was great .
Left the car for about half an hour and went out to start and the engine light came back on .!!!!!
Tried the petrol cap seals perfectly .
Any other suggestions , when the light is off the car performs perfectly , so transmission ( auto ) works perfectly .

HELP !!! please
Greg
bootymac

Have your car scanned for fault codes
fernbrae

Dealer wanted AUD $ 135.00 dollars which will be done next week .
But thought that it was worth asking the question .
Thanks
Greg
murcod

Yes, you need to know what the code is. You might cause more problems by doing things like randomly spraying WD40 into the emission valves. ;)

I just noticed your new post - you could purchase a generic ODB2 scanner and read it yourself. Where in Australia do you live?
David
fernbrae

Hi , thanks for the reply , I am a mechanic of some years , wd 40 won't hurt any of the solenoid / valves just a lubrication / clean .
I am in Melbourne Victoria .
If I can purchase of the ODB scanners I will .
But where from is the question .
Greg
murcod

To get one quickly local stores like Repco, Supercheap, Jaycar etc

eg. http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/sea ... %20scanner
http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=obd2&view=list

Buying online- like Ebay- would of course be cheaper and give more options.

(PS: I wasn't suggesting WD40 would hurt the valve itself, but it might end up in other areas where it could cause problems.)
David
bootymac

fernbrae wrote:Dealer wanted AUD $ 135.00 dollars which will be done next week .
But thought that it was worth asking the question .
Thanks
Greg
It'll be difficult for us to diagnose without the fault code.

Are there any auto parts stores that will scan it for free?
murcod

I've never heard of Australian parts stores offering that service. (I know in the USA it's a common thing.)
David
fernbrae

Hi Guys ,
thanks for the information , had a quick look at Ebay was about $37.00 will check out Repco just very close to where I work .
I was not aware they were so easily obtainable.
Rgds
Greg
murcod

If you're a member of the RACV you'll get a discount at Repco too. ;)

For future use a scan tool with a "live data" function might also be useful, but a bit more expensive.
David