TAKATA Air Bag Recalls

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
nytq

Does anyone know who manufactures the Air Bags in the Kizashi? With the massive recalls going on on all the major Japanese Car manufacturers, I find it very interesting that Suzuki was not ever mentioned. Or do you think because Suzuki had such a small footprint in the US they just won't bother?
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Engineer60

AFAIK Continental and Autoliv in India HTH.

See link:

http://www.cardumps.com/unit/list/suzuki
“If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver”
KuroNekko

I personally think it's because Suzuki doesn't have Takata as an airbag supplier. I've just spent 15 minutes trying to determine the OEM of the Kizashi's airbags, but had no luck. However, I wouldn't really worry. The Kizashi's airbags seem to perform well given the Kizashi has some stellar crash test ratings. Outright impressive for a car that's unchanged since its debut in 2009. It was outperforming Model Year 2012 rivals in crash tests. I personally think the safety of the Kizashi is one of the most underrated qualities of the car.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KuroNekko

Engineer60 wrote:AFAIK Continental and Autoliv in India HTH.

See link:

http://www.cardumps.com/unit/list/suzuki
I didn't even know Continental made products other than tires.
Great find!
nytq

Very cool, thanks. I would not have thought Suzuki would have ended up using a Chinese made brand when Takata is so big in Japan. But I'm super glad they did. Not so much that I'm worried about it, but I definitely do not want to deal with a Safety Recall given the Huge Mess Takata has created and will more than likely not be able to fulfill the necessary replacements in any decent amount of time.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
paininthenuts

The simple answer is don't have a crash
KuroNekko

nytq wrote:Very cool, thanks. I would not have thought Suzuki would have ended up using a Chinese made brand when Takata is so big in Japan. But I'm super glad they did. Not so much that I'm worried about it, but I definitely do not want to deal with a Safety Recall given the Huge Mess Takata has created and will more than likely not be able to fulfill the necessary replacements in any decent amount of time.
I've read that a number of the problematic Takata airbags were made in Mexico. Also, Continental is a German brand. However, much like many products, the nation of brand origin doesn't equate to location of product manufacturing. Goes for both Continental and Takata.

Interestingly, while the brakes are made with Akebono (Japanese) components, the Kizashi's ABS system is made by Bosch (German).