Several Questions about the Kizashi

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Rurii

Hiya guys! My name is Nicholas and I'm researching different cars to own my very first car! I'm a 19 year old college student that commutes to school and is looking for a relatively reliable car. I was on Craigslist and found this ad for a 2012 Kirashi GTS (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/5084556503.html). The car's look caught my interest, plus the specs aren't half bad ^^. I tried googling info about how people like their Kizashi and how realiable the car is (other than reading about Weshoot2's post about his long term experience), but couldn't find out much since sales for the Kizashi aren't that great. So I was wondering, how much do you personally spend on the car (maintenance and etc) compared to other cars you have own and would you personally recommend it? Thanks for any future replies! ^^
n8dogg

This is a very reliable, low maintenance car. Oil changes every 7500 miles, filters once in a while...that's about it. The original Dunlap tires wear out quick, so that's the only item I can think to check. The timing chain is an actual chain, not a belt, so that will eliminate an expensive maintenance job down the road.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
Rurii

Thanks for the reply! :D How would one acquire OEM (or decent quality build) parts in the states since Suzuki pulled out? Sorry, I'm extremely inexperienced in dealing with maintenance and taking car of a car!
KuroNekko

Hi Nick.

You're a smart one to research a rare car before buying it. Given this car is a 2012 Kizashi Sport GTS with a 6 speed manual, I have a lot to say about it. I have a 2011 GTS with a 6 speed so it's pretty much the same car. The only noticeable difference between Model Year 2011 and M.Y. 2012 was that the moonroof was not standard on 2012s. This one in the ad doesn't have one, but mine does.

The Kizashi is a reliable car, especially as a manual. The manual transmission models are exclusively FWD so you can't have AWD like the automatics. However, given it looks like you're in California, I imagine there's very little benefit in having AWD for you. You'll likely get better fuel efficiency with the 6 speed MT in both city and highway (in real-world driving) in addition to having a car that's 300 lbs lighter.
The Kizashi has been very reliable in the nearly 3 years I've owned mine. The only real problem I had was the rear shock failure but that was covered under warranty, especially given there's a Technical Service Bulletin out on it.
Other than that, common problems with the Kizashi include very thin paint that chips easily with some darker colors. The factory alignment was also off which caused uneven tire wear on the OE Dunlop tires which are themselves less-than-stellar due to rapid wear. If this car still has the Dunlops, expect to be replacing them very soon given the 30K mileage. These are pieces of crap at that point and will break traction on some wet surfaces in my experience.

However, there are way more positives about the Kizashi than negatives. The GTS comes with the bitch'n Rockford Fosgate stereo. That's a 10 speaker, 425 watt (RMS)/950 watt (max) system with a digital amplifier. It sounds amazing and also supports both USB input and Bluetooth audio streaming.
The 6 speed manual transmission is also quite decent. The clutch is soft and forgiving making it an easy car to drive daily and in traffic. The shifter is medium-throw and a bit sloppy, but not atrociously vague. The chassis of this car is very rigid and with its suspension, offers stunningly-good handling for a midsize 4 door. The suspension is a good balance between comfortable and sporty. It's a difficult place to be for a car of this price range, but the Kizashi pulls it off nicely.
The Kizashi is a stellar car for the money while being refined and reliable. It's not the most fuel-efficient thing out there, but it makes up for it by being fun to drive while also being comfortable. It's actually quite amazing that a car like this can pull off being both a good canyon-carver and a highway cruiser.

So... my only issue with this car in Gilroy, CA is the price. 14K is quite overpriced, IMO. I bought my M.Y. 2011 in 2012 with only 7500 miles on it for 14,975. This was before the Suzuki bail-out too. Suzukis are also very rare in CA and the Service Dealer network is sparse. If you didn't know, Suzuki is no longer selling cars in the US so it's pretty much a defunct brand now. All these factors go against the car's value so 14K for a Kizashi now is too high. Work them down on the price. Find out how long they've had the car. The longer, the better for you as it shows they can't sell it. Given it's an unpopular Suzuki with an even less popular manual transmission, they'll likely have a hard time selling the car. Bring this point up and see if they will knock down the price. If not, walk away (assuming you have the flexibility) and they'll likely call you back with a lower price offer in a few days. Try to pay closer to 12K for this.

Best of luck. Get a good price and I'm certain you won't regret getting the Kizashi.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KuroNekko

Rurii wrote:Thanks for the reply! :D How would one acquire OEM (or decent quality build) parts in the states since Suzuki pulled out? Sorry, I'm extremely inexperienced in dealing with maintenance and taking car of a car!
Maintenance isn't an issue. I do all my own maintenance and haven't had an issue finding parts. Things like spark plugs, oil filters, brakes, rotors, air filters, etc. can easily be ordered online if not found in stores. Finding OE accessories and specific parts are a lot harder. However, you can get them if you must at full price from sites like suzukicarparts.com or possibly through Service Dealers. Basically, the Kizashi isn't a headache to maintain but can be troublesome when trying to find Kizashi-specific parts. I should also mention that the aftermarket parts scene for this car is just about flat-line dead. Aftermarket customization will be very difficult.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Rurii

Whoa, thanks for the quick/informative reply Kuronekko! I'm mainly worried about getting parts since not that many of these cars sold. Are there any decent-quality aftermarket parts that bountiful, or is there an OEM online store that I'm unaware of?
kentman4

@Rurii, we seem to be in the same boat. I'm 20 and use my Kizashi for commuting back and forth to school. Mine is a 2010 GTS and I've had no problems so far. I have 54k. Just like kuronekko stated, Kizashi specific parts are hard to find... Maintence things are easy to find. But if something like a control arm failed for example, don't expect to walk into autozone finding the replacement part.
2001 Mazda Millenia S
2006 Suzuki Forenza
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara Xsport
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS
Rurii

Thanks for the quick replies guys! :D Yikes, aren't you guys worried about parts like headlights in case of an accident? Not saying it would happen of course!
Fritz2

Parts are going to be available, they'll just take longer to get. I increased the time that I could have a rental car on my insurance to the max allowed just for that reason. Only cost 3$ more a month, I think, for me. Having said that, I just traded my 2012 gts manual with 31k miles in perfect shape and the selling dealer is asking $13k. East coast, though.
Ronzuki

Maintenance? Other than the usual oils, filters, wipers, a set of tires and a set of low beam bulbs...zippo. A 4-wheel alignment and required PA state inspection and emissions testing once a year, that's it. The normal consumable parts will be around for a long time. Just rolled over 51k and the brakes still have many more miles left in them. This past year I spent less than $250 on the above items that were needed (less tires of course) and I put on a bit less mileage in the past year than the average. The Kizashi is Suzuki's flagship vehicle, and it is truly a blast to own and drive. I do all my own maintenance and enjoy the fact that's ALL I have to do (oils and filters).

The beauty of Suzukis, for the most part, is you get in them drive them and go about your business. WESHOOT's a testament to that as far as the Kizashi is concerned. It's the only brand I've ever owned in my 35 years of driving that has repeatedly kept me away from having to spend many hundreds of dollars a year on BS repairs that shouldn't be. Keeps the cars out of the repair joints where prying hands can, and will, inject trouble. Not any GMs, not Dodge or Jeep. I will say Toyotas haven't been hard on me over the years either. I've been buying Japanese built Zuks since they were first introduced here in 1986. All brand new less my current Samurai. Same reliability story as with the Kizashi, every one of them. Generally very well, and sometimes over, engineered. My '91 Samurai trail truck/rock crawler is a testament in that regard. Stock all original 24 yr. old 92k mile engine, transmission, clutch, axle shafts, ring and pinions. All original parts. Spinning wheels and tires much larger and heavier than what it was designed for and came equipped with. I beat on it hard a few times a year and roll it back in to the garage until next time I take it out to do the same to it. Hell it hasn't had an oil change since 2010... :oops: maybe I ought to give it a treat.
Own/owned: '86 Hardtop Samurai, '91 Soft-top Samurai, '92 4-door Sidekick JLX, '08 SX4, '10 Kizashi, '11 SX4. Skipped all of the rebadged Daewoo crap in between.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)