114 days; Part II

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
WESHOOT2

Now having accrued 220,755 Kizashi-miles, I'm always interested in finding something new(er?).
Better.

It must be better.
Oh, and affordable :roll:

Nothing on the horizon.........

WESHOOT2

I mean, I've had Kizashis since Dec 23, 2010, and while I've only had this one for a year and three months, I've already put 56,385 miles on this one......
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: I think by the time I'm thoroughly ready to move on from the Kizashi (at least another 100,000 more miles), I'm sure the kind of vehicle I have in mind will be available.
depends on what you "have in mind", but yeah, I wouldn't bet on that....
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
FrankoLaMoya

Well we heard the rumors about a Suzuki/Toyota partnership..never know maybe we will have Suzuki in North America again... It would not be profitable as their machines would be indestructible lol
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:
KuroNekko wrote: I think by the time I'm thoroughly ready to move on from the Kizashi (at least another 100,000 more miles), I'm sure the kind of vehicle I have in mind will be available.
depends on what you "have in mind", but yeah, I wouldn't bet on that....
Actually, it's already in production and sold elsewhere and despite continuous delays, is set for a US debut next year. It's the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. While not "perfect", the technology and concepts implemented are along the lines of what I want. It's from an unlikely manufacturer, but if you know their roots a little better, it's not all that surprising.

I was hoping GM would implement their Voltec into the new Equinox but the reveal of the next gen showed that they went with turbocharging and a diesel. The diesel makes a lot of sense for the long distance commuter for range and fuel efficiency at highway speeds, but for the urban driver (like me), electrification is certainly much better.

From the sounds of things, Mitsubishi delayed the release of it this fall to bring about a better version next year. Maybe it will mean an all-new generation or hopefully, an improved powertrain given the PHEV hasn't changed much since its global debut. Despite that, it's a strong seller in Europe and high demand there and in Japan has actually been the main reason it was continuously delayed here. Mitsubishi couldn't meet the demand with their battery production to expand further into other markets.

Regardless, the video below sums up what I find appealing about it. It's the first and only non-luxury PHEV vehicle that blends super-efficient and clean daily urban commuting with a midsize CUV body with AWD and ground clearance for the weather and off-pavement conditions. Range isn't an issue given the Parallel and Series Hybrid modes, much like the Chevy Volt, but the EV mode allows for silent and minimal-cost short-range commuting on electricity. While I dig the Volt, it's a very small car with minimal rear seat and luggage space. Meanwhile, the Outlander PHEV is much roomier and has twin motor AWD. Having driven capable AWD and 4x4 vehicles in the past, I'd like to get back into them, but also want something clean and efficient for the daily realities of commuting. I can't think of a better vehicle that blends those two together than this. While I have no doubt the Kizashi is better to drive, the Kizashi isn't an AWD CUV and at 22 MPG average in my commutes, can't match the PHEV's efficiency and lower operating costs.
Given the next Montero is to follow suit with similar technology but in a larger and more off-road ready package, that interests me as well. I'll keep my Kizashi around, but when I'm done, I think these vehicles will be available and affordable.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Galaxy 4 on wheels....that could get ugly! :lol:
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

And I'll probably still be looking for a low-mile used Kizashi.......

KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:Galaxy 4 on wheels....that could get ugly! :lol:
Do you happen to mean the Samsung Note 7 with the current fire recall?
While batteries do have a risk of fires (which the Outlander PHEV actually was recalled for back in 2013), most batteries in EVs, PHEVs, and Hybrids have been designed and redesigned to minimize the risk. In fact, fires among them are very rare compared to normal vehicles which carry around large amounts of, and run on, a very volatile and flammable substance; gasoline. It's just that fires in conventional cars are normalized and no one bats an eye even when cars go up in flames from accidents and cause the death of people in this country, and around the world, all the time. However, the moment it's a Tesla or an EV, it becomes international news. It's kind of like the sensationalization of a commercial airplane crash. They are very very rare, but when they happen, there's international media coverage and people who are afraid to fly have their fears reaffirmed in their minds. Meanwhile, thousands of people die every single day in car accidents making it statistically much much more dangerous, but it's normalized.

The reality is that EVs, PHEVs, and Hybrids are not only more reliable, but also safer. The safest vehicle ever tested in IIHS' crash testing is a Tesla Model S and its unique EV design had a lot to do with that. Meanwhile, it's not even hard to meet someone who's been in a conventional vehicle fire before. I've personally met two. One was a woman whose Pontiac Grand Am's heated seats shorted and caused a fire literally under her ass. The whole car went up in flames as it sat in a Popeye's drive-thru. Luckily, she wasn't injured. The second person was much less fortunate. He was in an accident in his Ford Bronco that caused the vehicle to roll-over. Trapped and knocked unconscious, he couldn't get out of the burning SUV until firefighters pulled him out. He's now severely disfigured and doesn't have much functionality of his hands that are missing fingers from getting literally burned off. Despite that, many Americans still believe a large, conventional SUV like the Bronco is the safest thing to drive. It's not even statistically true.
I'll take an EV or PHEV lugging around batteries any day over a tank full of gasoline when it comes to crash-related fire risks.
WESHOOT2

Hybrids suck in the market, and remain wildly unpopular.
"Take-rate", the rate at which buyers buy a new vehicle similar to their old one, is stunningly low for hybrids; people don't buy them twice.
Used, their value sinks like stone.

The car industry is not sure why (but assume low gas prices influence that low number).

It ain't battery fires........
KuroNekko

WESHOOT2 wrote:Hybrids suck in the market, and remain wildly unpopular.
"Take-rate", the rate at which buyers buy a new vehicle similar to their old one, is stunningly low for hybrids; people don't buy them twice.
Used, their value sinks like stone.

The car industry is not sure why (but assume low gas prices influence that low number).

It ain't battery fires........
Yup, but it's a rather American phenomenon, I think, and likely because of our rather unique car ownership conditions. We have very cheap gas prices compared to everyone else, no vehicle classification tax, no congestion tax, no specialized CO2 taxes, etc. so there isn't much of a penalty to drive a larger, less efficient vehicle like there is in other comparable countries. The $7500 federal rebate also has a rather high requirement for the battery size so it requires one to get a dedicated PHEV or full battery EV to get the full rebate. Then there's the higher price of hybrids and EVs compared to comparable gasoline cars. In the end, hybrids don't really save money, they save gas. So if one's goal was to save money, it makes little sense to buy a Prius over a Corolla because despite the Prius' better MPGs, the Corolla's lower vehicle cost makes it cheaper overall. It would take years of ownership before the Prius actually saved money from its better fuel efficiency as the Corolla is already rather efficient.

However, for me, it's the technology that I like more than anything. I like the idea of electric motors efficiently powering a vehicle and turning off an engine when idling in traffic. The last time I was in a Honda dealership, it was the Accord Hybrid I was really digging (I did like the new Ridgeline too).
Maybe I'm just naive and once I own a hybrid, PHEV, or EV, I'll realize I can do without it. However, my current driving situation is ripe for a PHEV given my daily work commute is within 35 miles round trip, I'm in one of the most congested cities in America for traffic (getting an average of 22 MPG these days), and that I have free EV charging at my work garage. That being said, if I lived where you do, I doubt I'd be daydreaming about a PHEV SUV. I'd probably drool over a Ford F-150 Raptor.
:lol: