What to do with dark spots on rims?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
mille33

Is anyone one else having problems with dark spots on their rims? What can you do to clean them up? I've tried cleaner but it didn't work. Open to suggestions. Thanks!
20151010_145421.jpg
20151010_145421.jpg (224.39 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
DesRado

Wondering if your paint is chipping... but I haven't seen it make that pattern before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

Marcov71

Well, that's certainly new. First chipping, now spotting. :facepalm:
2012 Kizashi CVT AWD/ w paint chips :shock:
Orange County/Brooklyn NY
Sluggo

At first glance I though it might be brake dust, it is the right color. The fact it is on the outside of the spokes and not on the areas between the spokes is strange. I doubt it is a problem with the paint on the wheel as people claim to be the cause of their wheels chipping.

The fact the deposits are even on the little round tape wheel balance marker shows that it isn't the paint going bad but something that has gotten onto the wheel.

Try cleaning the wheel using Claymagic Clay. Stay away from wheel cleaners, they all contain acid,
and I think that is what may be causing a lot of the problems people have been having with the finish on their wheels.

The outside rim area looks like mold almost, maybe a tire shine product? The V shaped detail in towards the lug nuts looks more like wear though, like a car wash is doing it. Very strange.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Fritz2

Looks for all the world like mold is attacking it. Interesting band around the tire. Possibly related, like a car wash track?
nytq

I had the exact staining occur, on top of chipping. I finally broke down and refinished all the wheels. Unfortunately I did not strip the old finish completely off, just roughed up the surface so the new paint would take, so the original weak paint still chips off occasionally. But the staining is not happening. I don't know what Suzuki was thinking with the painted surfaces on this car. You would think the wheels would have been completely different than the the body, but it seems like the same cheap paint is all around. At this point the car could easily use a complete repaint to a high quality job, but I'm going to wait until I just can't stand it anymore, and probably just get another car at that point. I'm hoping for 2 more years. They must have put all there money in R&D and then making the rest of the car high quality and then ran out of money for good paint. It really makes no sense.
Last edited by nytq on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
WESHOOT2

It seems to me they cheaped out on every size and type of wheel they mounted.
paininthenuts

mille33 wrote:Is anyone one else having problems with dark spots on their rims? What can you do to clean them up? I've tried cleaner but it didn't work. Open to suggestions. Thanks!
20151010_145421.jpg
=================================

I once had dark spots on my rim. I visted the doctor who gave me a weeks worth on peniclillin and it did the job.
Woodie

Fritz2 wrote:Interesting band around the tire. Possibly related, like a car wash track?
Aha! Very good observation.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency