Excessive rear brake wear?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
bootymac

The Kizashi was recently serviced at a former-Suzuki dealership where a tech inspected the brakes and noted the following:

2012 Kizashi CVT AWD, 25k km (15k mi):
- Front brake pads: 7mm
- Rear brake pads: 3mm
- Rear rotors also warped?

Has anyone else experienced excessive rear brake pad wear? A family member has the car now and I can't inspect it myself.
KuroNekko

It sounds like a common issue with this car. A number of people have brought it up on this forum. Maybe the Kizashi has some rear brake bias. I personally haven't seen any excessive rear brake wear and I replaced my rears along with my fronts when I got all new pads and slotted rotors. The rears had probably about 35~40% life left and I changed them out around 43,000 miles or so. Perhaps the previous owner before you was quite hard on the brakes?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WESHOOT2

I got 80K plus on my '11's rears.
KuroNekko

WESHOOT2 wrote:I got 80K plus on my '11's rears.
I thought you had SP Performance brake components. Did you only get the rotors and not brake pads from them?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WESHOOT2

I installed the SP Performance slotted rotors and pads for the rear at around 85K, and did the fronts around 90K.

I'm planning on using their drilled and slotted rotor-n-pad sets for the '12, front and rear.

(Unless Brembo offers a similar set before I need them; then I'd buy Brembo stuff).
Sluggo

Kizashi rear brakes are not very good. The rotors are too small and the size of the pads are a bad joke.
If you cross reference these pads you will see that they are the same as the ones used on an older Honda Civic. That's a car that weights a lot less than the Kizashi and was designed be a less of a performance car.
As far as the difference the OP had in the thickness of this worn pads, well the front pads are about 3mm thicker to begin with. Brake pads are cheap and easy to change, I don't try to see how long I can make mine last. I change them when I feel a different pad will serve me better.

I inspect mine carefully every time I rotate the tires, so I know where I stand and can change them before they get too thin.

15K miles is ridiculous, somebody is riding the brake.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

I have just rolled 55k on mine and the brake components are all still original. Not even coming up on the radar yet for replacement. Yeah...riding the brakes, that or sticky/dragging calipers or guides.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
bootymac

Sluggo wrote:Kizashi rear brakes are not very good. The rotors are too small and the size of the pads are a bad joke.
If you cross reference these pads you will see that they are the same as the ones used on an older Honda Civic. That's a car that weights a lot less than the Kizashi and was designed be a less of a performance car.
As far as the difference the OP had in the thickness of this worn pads, well the front pads are about 3mm thicker to begin with. Brake pads are cheap and easy to change, I don't try to see how long I can make mine last. I change them when I feel a different pad will serve me better.
Thanks for the info. The stock pads are Akebono ProActs right? According to the following links, the fronts (ACT1338) are 16.8mm and the rears (ACT537) are 14.6mm:

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.a ... 14340221-P

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.a ... 14340015-P
Sluggo

Regarding the Akebono pads that are original equipment on the Kizashi I don't know if they are the ProActs or a pad made specifically for the Kizashi. I do know that often manufacturers use parts that are not the same as aftermarket replacement parts.
I've always found it odd that Suzuki made such a big deal about the " Akebono Brake Components" when only the pads are Akebono but the calipers are made by Nissin. After most brake jobs the Akebonos are going away but the Nissin parts will remain with the car most likely forever.
I tossed my original brakes long before they were worn out, the rear pads were just crumbling from the heat.