CVT Replacment coming

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
LPSISRL

<queue ominous music sound>

I took my 2011 SLS FWD (75K miles) into the local service center today to have my CVT flushed. It's been making a noise that's been progressively getting louder. It's kind of like a groan when coasting or accelerating. Almost like it could be a bearing. Not too unlike the sound an old manual tranny makes in reverse but not quite so high pitched. It's harder to hear when accelerating with the associated engine noise. The tech took it for a ride (he wanted to be by himself and didn't take me even though I requested it) and upon returning, immediately told me that he wanted to put it on the lift and listen to it with a stethoscope and probably wouldn't be flushing the fluid. After a couple hours waiting, he told me that he was opening a ticket with Suzuki to begin the process of getting it fixed. He's not sure what is it, but it's definitely in the CVT and not some other part of the drive train. He also stated that the sound is not normal and would not be fixed by flushing it so that would be waste of money. He agreed that the fix would most likely be a CVT replacement. He did say the fluid was a little brown instead of the green that it's supposed to be which is bad. He also said that's it's an involved process with a lot of back and forth between Suzuki and the dealership in determining the problem and what to do about it and that there's only a couple of guys in the US that handle these situations. He said he might have an updated this afternoon or it could be a few days. No telling. In the meantime, I'm continuing to drive it.

Wish me luck. I'll keep this post updated. :cry:

Tim
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Marcov71

Oh man, these constant CVT related issues are really making me nervous. I've had my car for one year now. Bought it with 64k miles. I'm up to 80k. Hope this thing will last me! Good luck with your car!
2012 Kizashi CVT AWD/ w paint chips :shock:
Orange County/Brooklyn NY
LPSISRL

I'd check the fluid. If it's not green or at least greenish brown, get it flushed.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
NiteRider

CVT Replacement? Really? I think your guy maybe jumping the gun a bit.
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
LPSISRL

Maybe not. I've read in several places that there's nothing to adjust or replace inside. Only fluid changes. If the tech is hearing something that he knows a fluid change won't fix, he may be right. I'm just worried that since there's not a catastrophic failure, Suzuki will refuse to do anything about it. Then it will continue to get louder and louder until it fails... which will be after the 100K warranty has expired.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
Speed_Racer

LPSISRL wrote:Maybe not. I've read in several places that there's nothing to adjust or replace inside. Only fluid changes. If the tech is hearing something that he knows a fluid change won't fix, he may be right. I'm just worried that since there's not a catastrophic failure, Suzuki will refuse to do anything about it. Then it will continue to get louder and louder until it fails... which will be after the 100K warranty has expired.
Time to start driving like WESHOOT2
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
TRaj2327

I just rolled 115k this morning and haven't even drained and filled mine and have no issues. The car makes a few noises but it's also got some serious mileage on it and I drive pretty aggressively. I intend on asking the Suzuki certified tech next time I have a major service done in the coming weeks but don't really expect anything to speak of.
2011 Black Kizashi SLS - DD
- EBC Brakes
- 10% tint & debadged
2015 White Jeep Wrangler Altitude - Wife's ride
2004 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX - Garage queen
kconklin33

If there is catastrophic failure, you're right, Suzuki will do nothing about it. Still in a 2 year ongoing lawsuit regarding the engine that scattered in my car.
Ronzuki

What's there beef w/ not wanting to cover a toasted engine? (Other than there's no future loyalty incentive for them) Do you have receipts for your oil changes?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
BLyons

If I remember right he had hit a deer and had it repaired at a shop, then the engine blew up afterward and neither Suzuki or the shop will take responsibility or it. Maybe I'm mixing up some stories though.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD