LED Tail/Brake Light Bulbs

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
DesRado

2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

bootymac

Those are BRIGHT! What's it like driving with them?
DesRado

Perhaps they were necessary, just got my windows tinted to 50% front/35% rear and can still see what's behind me with them using the mirrors easily.

bootymac

Very cool, thanks for sharing
Fritz2

I bought a pair that seem to be exactly like these from Autozone. They worked great in the daylight, but at night when all the lights are on, the brake lights, to include the high mount, run continuously. Took them back, didnt want warranty issues if i wired in the resistors. Bummer.
DesRado

Ugh, I wouldn't want to try resistors for the tail lights either. I like plug and play. Just wish the matching turn signals I got would have fit properly with no modification needed.

hotnyh

Brother DesRado, may I ask you for the Amazon link for the tail /brake LEDs?
My LED installer here in Singapore doesn't have the dual intensity 1157s. (They do need to be dual intensity to work as a direct replacement I presume)...sorry for the noob questions.
The price listed by kuroneko's supplier seems rather expensive.
Does this light need to be canbus? No right? Only the turn signal LEDs correct?
Thanks.

The local Suzuki dealer has finally taken the Kizashi off their web site. Alas.
Waiting for the new Vitara to come before I venture down to have a look at their wares...
Fritz2

Hotnyh- KuroNekko's supplier might seem high, but the bulbs I got for half that price did not work as advertised, even though the package claimed them to be CANBUS and guaranteed to not throw a code. Ok, I didn't get a code, true, but all three brake lights stayed lit as soon as you turned the headlights on. So it's probably safe to say you get what you pay for. I haven't sprung for the expensive ones yet. Still licking my wounds.
hotnyh

Hmm, thanks for that. Was thinking of getting LEDs for the position lights and the rear as the easiest way of getting DRL (and rear) functionality. The local authorities do not allow 3rd party DRLs and the Kizashis here do not have even the halogen DRL function. Guess I might do the fronts first while I do more searching.
KuroNekko

The brake lights are not CANBUS so don't opt to get those type. Only the turn signals are on a CANBUS system and that's why they blink faster when a bulb is out. If you fail to get CANBUS LEDs on the turn signals, the LEDs will flash rapidly much like if an incandescent bulb is out.

Good 1157 LEDs are not cheap, but I really think with these LEDs you want to go high-quality or none at all. After getting cheap ebay LEDs from a bait-and-switch seller years ago, I've learned that you really get what you pay for with LEDs. The cheap stuff don't emit light well and often fail early. On the contrary, these 1157 LED bulbs I got were pricey but they performed well. I simply couldn't justify them for the Kizashi given the incandescent bulbs work just fine. For my VW bus, they made a huge difference in light output and I feel a lot safer.
If you're thinking about an LED upgrade for something as important as brake lights, go with the high quality stuff or stay with the regular bulbs. Cheap LEDs are just a waste of money.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)