How to change Spark Plugs EASY (with Pics)

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
delusional29

Hi all,

I changed my spark plugs over the weekend and documented it along the way. A typical install takes about 15 minutes at most. I know a guide has already been written, but I figured... Why not an updated one? :-)

Tools needed:
- Spark Plugs (I used NGK Iridium LFT6AIX-11)
IMG_8204.JPG
IMG_8204.JPG (90.07 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
- 5/8" Spark Plug socket (I recommend one with a magnetic tip).
IMG_8211.JPG
IMG_8211.JPG (76.59 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
- 10mm socket to remove/re-install the coil packs.
- Anti-seize paste (mine came with a FREE small packet when I bought all 4 spark plugs)
- Torque wrench (set to 18.5 lbs) to put the spark plugs back in.

You want to make sure your car is shut off and cooled down. You'll first want to remove the plastic cover to get to the coils. Simply grab each corner of the plastic piece and pop it up. I've circled the areas below where you should do this.
IMG_8187.jpg
IMG_8187.jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
Here are the four points from underneath, so that you get an idea.
IMG_8188.JPG
IMG_8188.JPG (76.12 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
Remove the 4 screws on the coil packs by using a 10mm socket wrench.
IMG_8189.JPG
IMG_8189.JPG (88.04 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
IMG_8190.JPG
IMG_8190.JPG (92.94 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
CAREFULLY remove the plugs from the coil packs by pressing the tab on top and gently pulling it outward. Be sure to only grab it by the plastic piece and NOT the wires, as they are VERY delicate.
IMG_8195.JPG
IMG_8195.JPG (75.68 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
Remove the coil pack as shown. Feel free to wiggle it back and forth while pulling it up to get it out.
IMG_8196.JPG
IMG_8196.JPG (84.9 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
If you look where you just removed the coil pack, you will see the spark plug. Use the 5/8" spark plug socket to get it out. It may take a bit of effort to get it out at first due to minor rusting, but when we put the new one back in, we will use anti-sieze on the threads to prevent it from rusting for future spark plug changes.
IMG_8197.JPG
IMG_8197.JPG (85.35 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
I usually take all four out at once, lay them down as shown and add the anti-sieze paste on the threads on all four at once. Then, I clean my hands from any paste and then I pop them all in. You don't want to get any past on the tip if you can help it.
IMG_8205.JPG
IMG_8205.JPG (92.01 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
Thread them in BY HAND to make sure they are threaded properly. Tighten them with a torque wrench set to 18.5 lbs.

Now simply reverse the steps above to put the coil packs back in, the plastic plugs snapped in and the black cover popped back on.

Congratulations! You've done it!

Hope this updated guide helps! You can find the original guide made by MNSLS here: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1578

DeLuSioNaL29
Last edited by delusional29 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
KuroNekko

Great write-up, however the use of anti-seize is not necessary these days. The reason why is because of the coating on the threads of most modern spark plugs. It was something I too didn't know about until recently, but even spark plug manufacturers themselves state that anti-seize is no longer needed on many spark plugs. It goes to explain why there's no residue of it from factory-installed plugs in many cars.
While I have long used anti-seize myself, I am discontinuing the practice given the advances in spark plug materials. The kinds of spark plugs I commonly use (like the Iridium IX's you installed) don't require anti-seize.
Also, anti-seize can alter the application of proper torque when used on plugs that don't need it.
Here's some info on the topic from NGK themselves:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Thanks for posting! How many miles are on your original plugs?

Just want to emphasize that if you use anti seize, make sure you decrease your torque values by 20-25% (as mentioned by KuroNekko)
BLyons

I'm curious how you made that socket work. I ordered one a couple weeks ago that seems like it was exactly the same one and the black ring around the top was too thick to fit into the hole.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
honsonwong

Great write-up. Thank you.
TheHolyGhost

Thanks for the write up! Your engine bay is immaculate!
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Dark Blue

Thanks a bunch for this... it does indeed make it really easy to do. The Kizashi is my first CVT. In my old cars the "Service/Check Engine" light/alert came on when it was time for a spark plug change. Is this the case for the Kizzy as well?
Woodie

No maintenance reminders on the Kizashi. You have to keep track of the mileage.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

I just replaced mine over the holidays at around 74k miles. Nothing noticeable between the new and old as far as driving the car is concerned. Sounds the same, runs the same, idles the same. The original plugs looked fine when removed, so I'd say the OE plugs can easily go the advertised 100k miles at the very least.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
jcorcione

:arrow: Great write up. I am at 117k on my 2013 SLS. Is there a complete tune, write up anywhere on this site? with spark plugs, do we need new wires coil packs, fuel filter replacement? also do you service or is there a service for the CVT?
Thanks
John
2013 Kizashi Sport SLS
Pearl White