Trunk Latch Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
KuroNekko

Recently, my trunk latch failed. I had the trunk open at the time and recall that I might have unintentionally locked the car doors while the trunk was open. While that normally does not affect the latch, it appeared to fail to work properly since then. After failing to latch properly after three locks and openings, it was evident I needed to replace the latch.

A search here revealed a claim years ago that the Kizashi used the same latch as a Toyota Yaris of a similar model year. My searches revealed the more popular Toyota Camry also used the same latch hence I opted to obtain a 2011 Toyota Camry trunk latch. Photos of it online looked very similar in design so I figured to take the chance, especially as most aftermarket latches on Amazon were in the $20 range. The specific one I purchased is:
https://a.co/d/freHpE0

When it arrived, the part appeared identical except the backside had a mechanism for a key rod that the Kizashi's did not. I did not realize the difference beforehand because I didn't remove the Kizashi's latch until I had the new one, however, we all know the Kizashi doesn't have a trunk keyhole thus a key rod. Thankfully, the Kizashi's trunk design incorporates a cutout space specifically to accommodate a latch with a rod attachment though the Kizashi doesn't use it. Thanks to this, the Toyota Camry's latch fits perfectly.

The new $20 Amazon latch works perfectly and in fact, better than the original part ever did. It seems to release the lock more effectively.

The replacement was very easy. First, you remove the trunk's upper trim liner by popping off the trim retaining clips. Upon doing that, remove the harness connector for the trunk latch before removing the two 10mm bolts that hold the latch onto the trunk. Installation is reverse. Super easy.

IMG_3165.JPG
IMG_3166.JPG
IMG_3167.JPG
IMG_3168.JPG
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

Recently, my trunk latch failed. I had the trunk open at the time and recall that I might have unintentionally locked the car doors while the trunk was open. While that normally does not affect the latch, it appeared to fail to work properly since then.
I think this is pure coincidence, I do this multiple times a week.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

Woodie wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:53 am
Recently, my trunk latch failed. I had the trunk open at the time and recall that I might have unintentionally locked the car doors while the trunk was open. While that normally does not affect the latch, it appeared to fail to work properly since then.
I think this is pure coincidence, I do this multiple times a week.
I agree. A normally operating electronic latch does not seem sensitive to input once it's open. However, I recall that I used the remote to lock the doors while the trunk was open and the trunk stopped locking ever since. Likely coincidence. With 126K miles and over 12 years of age as a daily driver, it's not surprising to have to replace components like these.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

The loaded SLS Sport AWD Kizashi I saw at the same used car dealer I got my Kizashi from (a year after my purchase) was in great shape, inside and out, but the most glaring flaw - aside from the front emblem missing, :lol: - was that the trunk did not want to close easily. I had to really ram it down, and even then it seemed iffy. The mileage was probably around mine when I got it, like low-50k range. Not sure if it's the same exact issue you experienced, but it definitely was not how my trunk lid closed.
Had no idea the trunk latch was so easy to replace. I'm hoping it's similarly straightforward with other vehicles.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)