My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

Talked to ATEQ this morning. They had a genuine Suzuki sensor there (part# 43130-57L00) and tested the vt30 and vt55 with it. The vt55 worked while the vt30 didn't. He mentioned that the software was a bit buggy, so he was going to pass this onto the software developer to get me a beta firmware. Hopefully this happens today as the TPMS sensors I've acquired should arrive today as long as they've cleared customs.
Ronzuki

Unless I misread, I thought you getting OEM sensors? Clearing customs....did you order from India?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

I am, but they're from honsonwong in Canada. :mrgreen:
SamirD

And a very interesting twist in my quest for dealerless tpms--a dealer tool part number. :)

The set of steelies I got were from someone who switched out their steelies for alloys, and they sent the steelies in the alloy boxes. :) Well, there was a Suzuki installation guide in the bottom of the box, probably from the alloy wheels. In that installation guide was a section on 'tools required'--Ratchet and 11mm deep socket, Torque Wrench, and TPMS Tool (p/n 09945-86510). I looked up this tool in one of the online Suzuki catalogs (lehmansuzukipartsonline.com), and it is showing as a $289.33 part with no description. This price is close to the VT30.

So I searched the part number on the Internet and ran across a site called suzukihelp.com that had a description of the tool--"tech 100 tire pressure monitor tool-refurbished" as well as a small picture. They had a phone number so I called them up to get a better idea of what this 'factory tool' was. The gentleman I spoke to mentioned that it's listed as a Suzuki 'essential tool' which is a list of tools they require a dealership to have. It's not readily available for purchase anymore since a lot of the Suzuki parts warehouses have closed, but he's going to find out how much it is and the lead time as well as try to get a picture and more information on it from the technicians that use it in their shop since they must have one. My gut instinct based on the picture on their site is that it's a vt15. If so, then maybe I'll just exchange my vt30 for that. ATEQ says it will be the end of the week before they can get me the beta firmware for the vt30 with the Kizashi trigger working. :( But I guess that's okay since the TPMS sensors won't be here until tomorrow.

I'll probably get the tires and everything mounted and balanced and on the car before I worry about the tpms. I'll have the known working sensors in the summer wheel/tire set to play with, and we need the traction now as there's another bit of snow coming.
Last edited by SamirD on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamirD

Just inspected the steelies I got, and they're in really great shape. :D Only one wheel weight has ever been mounted to them and there's not even much brake dust. 8-) A wipe down with a rag and a coat of wax and these will be ready for winter's punishment.
SamirD

I found an almost perfect transcript of the installation guide I found here:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006-gr ... post218762
Moto
Site Admin

Just and FYI... I hate autoguide owned forums with a passion. I don't care if you link to any other forum, but if it is an autoguide owned forum just copy it over and quote it.

They cheat on search engine results bad. I have a feeling they may try to buy this site someday as they like to purchase old forums for some reason.

It will be a cold day in hell before I work with them. They are the primary reason three of my other sites have failed. When they start up they pay a crap ton for advertizing and they have paid people to make fake seed posts. They are difficult to compete with to say the least. I got lucky when I started this site because I was unemployed and had time to really try to draw people in. This is the one site that I managed to shut them down on.
SamirD

Moto wrote:Just and FYI... I hate autoguide owned forums with a passion. I don't care if you link to any other forum, but if it is an autoguide owned forum just copy it over and quote it.

They cheat on search engine results bad. I have a feeling they may try to buy this site someday as they like to purchase old forums for some reason.

It will be a cold day in hell before I work with them. They are the primary reason three of my other sites have failed. When they start up they pay a crap ton for advertizing and they have paid people to make fake seed posts. They are difficult to compete with to say the least. I got lucky when I started this site because I was unemployed and had time to really try to draw people in. This is the one site that I managed to shut them down on.
I hate to hear that. :( I'm not a fan of their or Internet Brands' sites, but I actually have met the guys that run both companies. And while they are large corporations with a lot more than just the 'core job' of the forum itself, they are very passionate about forums and are really no different from any of us.

But I completely understand from a business perspective how they would be difficult competition. They have deep pockets, lots of resources, and unless you simply 'own' the community first, they'll beat you to the starting line.

They very strategically look at which forums they want to buy and look at them from a business standpoint. Unless you're making some good money, they're definitely no threat in terms of a takeover.

One of the thing that I've learned about starting a site is that it's like throwing a party, and most great parties start with a few friends. In my own market, I have competition from a site that I co-founded, and the only reason it's survived (because there is no real content besides a lot of machismo and bravado) is because of the circle of friends that frequent it. It's like their little home. I don't regret separating myself from that site, but I really didn't expect it to survive like it has.
Ronzuki

Could it be this simple using a Dorman TPMS, the Suzuki activation tool (same p/n as above) and the B) No Scan Tool method described in the pdf below?

https://www.dormanproducts.com/Pages/TP ... ure_BD.pdf
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:Could it be this simple using a Dorman TPMS, the Suzuki activation tool (same p/n as above) and the B) No Scan Tool method described in the pdf below?

https://www.dormanproducts.com/Pages/TP ... ure_BD.pdf
Yep, that's the ticket! Except that no Dorman TPMS is necessary--that procedure will work on any tpms sensor as it's the procedure to get the car in the relearn mode. You still need a tool (Suzuki or otherwise) to activate or 'trigger' the sensor.

It literally will take 5 minutes once I figure this all out. I just have to get the firmware update from ATEQ so I can trigger my sensors. The OEM tpms sensors should arrive today and I already have the wheels. If I have enough time today, I'm going to try to get tires and everything mounted and ready to go. Then I just have to wait on ATEQ.

On a side note, I found out about another company that makes reasonably priced tools--Autel. Their specific model is the TP401.