My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

So here we are for the next re-learn process and while the vt30 worked great just a few days ago when I changed the tires and aired them up--the control panel has decided to stop working again. Very fickle. And of course I needed to do this today as I'll be travelling to HSV for over a week. :roll:
WESHOOT2

Contact WESHOOT2

Edit

Report this post

Post#181 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:05 am

IN HONOR OF THOSE MORE ABLE:

I did the TPMS hack posted here with my newly-mounted Enkei Tuning Fujin wheels with TireRack-supplied installed TPMS sensors.
It was simple and easy.
My dealer would charge me $80.

I used the TPMS hack here are steps to put the car in relearn per SAMIR D:
" Have the fob in your pocket
- Open the car and sit in the drivers seat. Close the door. Make sure all doors are closed.
- Push the start button twice to get it to acc mode. Keep your foot off the brake or you'll start the car.
- Within 5 seconds of seeing ACC on the dash, open the driver's side door and reach to your left to find the driver's side door plunger switch. Press it and hold for 2 seonds. I've found using the dome light as a good indicator as to when the switch was depressed. My light did not extinguish.
- Release after pressing for 2 seconds, and then do it again for 2 seconds.
- Release after pressing for 2 seconds, and then do it again for 4 seconds.
- When you release it this time, you'll see the tpms light start to flash slowly (about once a second). If not, start at the begining after turning the car off".

once it is in relearn mode start with drop the air to 5-10 lbs each tire, until all tire registered then add more air. please confirm.

To add:
-When I opened the door to push the switch I left it open to drop the air pressure
-I left the IGN in 'on'
-I used a lollipop stick to drop air; I counted to 25 at each corner

No more flashing blinding lights.
So thank you to those more able to figure this stuff out.
SamirD

Glad you got it done. 8-) And this means a lot to me since I was reading about your Kizashi adventures well before I ever figured this out.

So this morning the vt30 decided to not even turn on. :( And then it did, and triggered two sensors. :D So I moved the car and got it into relearn mode. And then the vt30 decided not to allow me to trigger sensors again. :evil: A part of me wants to rip off the front panel and start shorting the wires together by hand for the switches.
:facepalm:
RedGeminiPA

Thank you for this!

Short story: I just bought my '11 Sport GTS on Wednesday. "Service TPMS" on the display, with the tire (!) symbol and the triangle (!) all lit up. I took it to my cousin's garage, and his mechanic used the big fancy Snap-On computer(s) to relearn the sensors. It took extra long to get the left rear to report to the little scanner he used. He told me there was a stored code for the #3 sensor (right rear), but that doesn't really mean anything, as it might not have been in the proper location in the first place (rotations etc.).

That worked for about 20 miles or so, then the light came back on. I took it back, and next step was to replace the sensor that took the longest to register the first couple times he scanned it (left rear). Replaced that with a new sensor that he could copy the code from the previous sensor. They also re-balanced all the tires, as I told them I felt a shimmy on the highway - two tires didn't have any weights. $98 and off I go... and the warnings all came back on last night...

It took several tries, but I finally got it into learn mode. For now, it's all reset. I'll know in a little while today if it actually worked. I have a feeling I'll see the orange-of-fury again.

Other than replacing ALL sensors, any other ideas? He said it's rare, but the control module could be starting to go.
2011 Sport GTS FWD CVT Nav
Altoona PA
RedGeminiPA

Just the tire (!) symbol came on today for about 5 minutes. All has been good since that, so far.
Altoona PA
SamirD

I've had to re-learn my sensors 3 times one change from winter to summer (I think it was the last one). I'm not sure why the light kept coming back, but eventually the re-learn took. Just keep doing it. I wouldn't replace any sensors--if it re-learns, it's good. And the only thing that can really go bad in a sensor is the battery, which even my vt30 will show the levels of. The other thing would be the sensor being overtorqued and break off, which really sucks. But then a proper rebuild and install (kit is only a few bucks) can get that sensor back on the road too.
Woodie

RedGeminiPA wrote:Just the tire (!) symbol came on today for about 5 minutes. All has been good since that, so far.
Maybe you've got it fixed and this temporary alert was genuine, one tire is a little bit low and low temperature made it below the threshold until you drove a bit. Put 40 psi in them to get well above the threshold and allow some headroom. You'll get better mileage too.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
RedGeminiPA

Woodie wrote:
RedGeminiPA wrote:Just the tire (!) symbol came on today for about 5 minutes. All has been good since that, so far.
Maybe you've got it fixed and this temporary alert was genuine, one tire is a little bit low and low temperature made it below the threshold until you drove a bit. Put 40 psi in them to get well above the threshold and allow some headroom. You'll get better mileage too.
A little update that has me a tad puzzled.

The light started flashing again (just the tire (!) light). I checked tire pressure yesterday morning before a 300-mile round-trip. All were still at 38. The light stayed on for the entire first leg of the trip, over 140 miles. After about 30 miles into the return trip, the light went off, and it stayed off the rest of the way home. Shortly after that, it came on again while I was driving, but for only a few minutes again.

I'll raise the pressure to 40 today to see if that helps, though the light seems to come on even with correct pressure all around. Is it possible for a sensor to be reporting slightly off at times, triggering the light? Should I have them scanned the next time it happens to see if a sensor is reporting incorrectly?
Altoona PA
SamirD

RedGeminiPA wrote:
Woodie wrote:
A little update that has me a tad puzzled.

The light started flashing again (just the tire (!) light). I checked tire pressure yesterday morning before a 300-mile round-trip. All were still at 38. The light stayed on for the entire first leg of the trip, over 140 miles. After about 30 miles into the return trip, the light went off, and it stayed off the rest of the way home. Shortly after that, it came on again while I was driving, but for only a few minutes again.

I'll raise the pressure to 40 today to see if that helps, though the light seems to come on even with correct pressure all around. Is it possible for a sensor to be reporting slightly off at times, triggering the light? Should I have them scanned the next time it happens to see if a sensor is reporting incorrectly?
I've seen this happen before, but only if the pressure drops below 35 or so (I think?). As you drive, the tire temperature increases and hence the pressure. But once it cools back down it drops again.

You can easily have them test a sensor as their tool should show the tire pressure. Then you can simply use a manual air gauge to double-check. Any variance more than +/- 5 is probably indicating some sort of issue with the sensor.

A couple of things I'm wondering though--are all your sensors genuine or factory Suzuki ones? Is the one that's having issues the one that was replaced? And if so, what brand/type of sensor is it? (I'm guess its a doorman as those are the only cloning sensors out there). Also, you mentioned that only the tire warning came on--what's the message in the console? That will help figure out if it's just a tire/sensor or something more.
RedGeminiPA

I have no idea about the remaining 3 sensors, nor do I really know what the brand is my cousin's shop uses.

The last few times the light came on (tire with (!) symbol beside the speedo needle), there was no message on the message center. As of today, the light didn't come on during any of my driving.

The manager at my cousin's shop said he's seen Suzukis and Mitsubishis act like this for a few days of driving, then all goes back to normal. He's thinking it's some sort of learning/syncing sequence that might take place, but he's not real sure. He just said several times that Suzuki and Mitsubishi are the two worst for sensor programming.

As for any pressure difference, I'm not sure. When I did the relearn the other day, all tires were stone cold, as it wasn't yet driven that day. I'm pretty confident all tires were accurately set at 38 psi. I use a pretty accurate digital gauge.
Altoona PA