Short ram intake worth it?

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Hawkzilla

Thanks guys, and please keep us all posted. If you can't feel an unquestionable power gain I will pass on this and spend my $ on something more cosmetic.
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
nytq

I just installed the RRM Ram Intake. Unfortuneatly I did not get any performance data before I installed it, so I'm just going to go by Suzuki's published data. I've only been able to do one run since installing, but I need a few more to be accurate. I think this type of mod has a combination of psychological and physical motivation. On one hand you have the manufacturer stating you'll gain 5HP or something silly like that. I don't think it's humanly possible to notice that. On the other hand It looks and sounds really hot, so of course your car must be going faster LOL. Anyhoo I can't say it's worth RRM's price, but I said I would have one at least once in my life and there it is. I'll post some numbers when I get a chance. Also I've been toying with the idea of modifying one of the cheesy "electric superchargers" just to pump cooler outside air towards the ram filter. I'm reading alot on the effect of cooler air especially on take off. I'll keep you all posted.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Hawkzilla

THANK YOU!!! I'll be interested to hear your feedback...
AFREaKA.Man

nytq and Hawkzilla,

nytq,

I'm definitely interested in hearing what your plans are with modding the electric supercharger. Let me know if you get one and how you modded it--I'm assuming you're trying to create a forced air induction effect... would be great if you figured a way to more effectively do that. As it is now, the air intake chute faces the SRI, but if you found a way to cool that air it'd be even more effective.

Hawk,

Yeah, nytq is pretty accurate there with his initial statement. Honestly, I really do believe you gain about 5-7 hp from the SRI alone. I know that's not much, but the problem is with a naturally aspired 4-cylinder engine, you can't get great increases with individual modifications like you can with a turbo-charged engine or a big block. That being said, I definitely love the deeper engine note that the SRI provides, and when combined with other modifications it all adds up. So yeah, it's really a matter of what you feel is a reasonable effect for the money paid. Some folks think that's crazy to spend that much for just a 5-7 hp gain (despite the better engine note)... and there's nothing wrong with that belief, then again, there's nothing wrong with thinking that it is worth it either. So if you weren't planning on getting the other parts and/or belief that the deeper note and the improved engine breathing is worth it for that price, it probably would be better to get the cosmetic upgrades you're interested in because I think you'll be more satisfied with your decision.

All, I'm scheduled to have my lightweight Power Pulley and Catback Exhaust installed tomorrow (I already installed the Carbon Fiber Bumper Cap and will have a color picture up when I get good weather... I have a nice black and white stylistic pic on the Gallery and Videos Thread if you wanted to look at that in the meantime). I'll be sure to post my impressions of the completed N/A performance package (SRI, Piggyback ECU, Power Pulley, and Catback Exhaust) once I'm able to take it out on a decent drive for a fair assessment.
AFREaKA.Man
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS AWD
Platinum Silver Metallic

Suzuki Roof Rack (by Whisbar)
Suzuki Sunroof Wind Deflector
RRM Short Ram Intake
RRM Piggyback ECU
RRM Carbon Fiber Bumper Cap
RRM Lightweight Power Pulley
will2k

It may have been my imagination but i did think that throttle response was better after i installed the SRI.

I bought a 3" intake pipe off ebay its like 12" long but extends and bends up to a yard or so. Im going to hook it up to the little scoop under the bonnet so i can get some direct air into the SRI because my scangauge II shows fairly high intake temperatures and i think this intake pipe will help.

Once it comes in the mail i'll do intake temp tests with and without the pipe and i'll show you guys the result.

the engine bay gets hot in the Kizashi and the heat shield on the SRI can only do so much. It may block direct heat but it's still soaking up hot air from the engine bay.
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube
Hawkzilla

Great info, keep it coming please! And share some pics!!!
willkizashi

I think that the Road Race vented hood (if its actually functional like the evo's) will help with disapating engine heat away from the SRI, but unforatunately your still getting air from a confined space that retains large amounts of heat. We used to make CAI kits out of PVC tubing for my friends Gen 5 Camaros, Trans Ams, and Corvettes. I wonder if there is any way to affix a coupler on the end of the SRI and add additional tubing to relocate the filter to the out where you would mount an intercooler or behind the fog light housing, with shields to ensure that water and debris are blocked, to actually draw in cool air outside of the engine compartment in. We also experimented with header wrap and insulated wraps on the CAI to ensure the piping didnt transer heat to the incoming air. Just some ideas.
2010 Kizashi GTS / 2005 XL-7 / 1969 Chevelle / 1981 Honda Cafe Racer.
BxKizashiS

I was looking into the RRM intake too, i want to get it being that thats the only intake out for Kizashi.. Kizashi needs more aftermarket parts! i want to hook mines up already! lol
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
Remav

Well, with the hood hail dimpled as it is, one of these would only be a couple hundred more installed. Anybody have any experience with them? I would like to try and cool the compartment a bit more & maybe add the short intake kit later. I like the looks, but how is the build quality? - Thanks!
Attachments
RKHood.png
RKHood.png (69.26 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
Image2011 Sport SLS Navi AWD, White Water Pearl ...in Beautiful Colorado
BxKizashiS

When I got the rrm intake it was silver. On the pic on their site it's red powder coated, yours is black.... I wanted a red one!!!
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi