Electric car sales...

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

sx4rocious wrote: If I want to purchase a Sherman Tank to drive back and forth to work that takes 5 gallons of diesel to drive mile, it's my choice, and I should be the one to make it.
You may want to hit up my former Governator (yes, that's what we call him) about this opportunity. Though not a Sherman, close enough. And always remember...

[youtube][/youtube]
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sx4rocious

I read the article on the CRZ supercharger. I agree that it's just too much money. I have seen several Prius's (or Prius-I? a gaggle of Prius...) that have been modified to look fantastic. If they only performed in the sub 8 second 0-60 range, it might be worth a look later on.

I swear I heard a rumor that Tesla was working on a sub $30k "everyman" compact for release in 2016 or something. If that's the case, I look for Tesla to rule the world in a few years. I hear they're already worth half what GM is right now. I'd buy one if it really does have a 200+ mile range. I'd keep the Kizashi to play with when the need for (slight) speed takes over.
KuroNekko

sx4rocious wrote:I read the article on the CRZ supercharger. I agree that it's just too much money. I have seen several Prius's (or Prius-I? a gaggle of Prius...) that have been modified to look fantastic. If they only performed in the sub 8 second 0-60 range, it might be worth a look later on.

I swear I heard a rumor that Tesla was working on a sub $30k "everyman" compact for release in 2016 or something. If that's the case, I look for Tesla to rule the world in a few years. I hear they're already worth half what GM is right now. I'd buy one if it really does have a 200+ mile range. I'd keep the Kizashi to play with when the need for (slight) speed takes over.
It's no rumor. It's happening. It will be called the Model III to the dismay of some people who wanted it to be called the Model E so the line-up would be S,E,X. Too bad for those still stuck in middle school.
The Model III will be around 35K and mainly targeted as a full EV rival to the BMW 3 Series.

The Model X SUV is about to enter production very soon and is an AWD SUV with two separate motors that independently drive the front and rear axles. It's also got gull-wing doors. This 3-row SUV is said to have a 0 to 60 MPH figure under 5 seconds.
The bad news is that it's going to start at a price higher than the Model S sedan (which starts at $62K). It's not cheap.

murcod

That's one low SUV, it looks like it would struggle to get over speed humps! Let alone anything resembling an unsealed road. :)
David
sx4rocious

I've been following the developement of the X for the last few months. I love the look and the gull wings are awesome. It's really a heck of a design the way they open even in a garage. I love pretty much everything about it aside from the price. I'm intrigued about the III. Have you found any leaked pictures or anything yet? I read about it on Tesla's sight a bit, but I didn't see pictures when I was there. When you consider my car payment, fuel costs, and the like, buying a $35k Tesla almost sounds affordable...
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:That's one low SUV, it looks like it would struggle to get over speed humps! Let alone anything resembling an unsealed road. :)
Teslas have air suspensions. They can rise and lower according to speed or conditions.
sx4rocious wrote:I've been following the developement of the X for the last few months. I love the look and the gull wings are awesome. It's really a heck of a design the way they open even in a garage. I love pretty much everything about it aside from the price. I'm intrigued about the III. Have you found any leaked pictures or anything yet? I read about it on Tesla's sight a bit, but I didn't see pictures when I was there. When you consider my car payment, fuel costs, and the like, buying a $35k Tesla almost sounds affordable...
I think the doors are also neat, but I'd actually not want them. Here's why:
It makes the car useless for carrying much of anything on the roof. This door design eliminates the possibility of a cargo carrier, bike rack, snowboard rack, etc.
It's also a problem in garages. The pictured garage has an unusually high ceiling. That's not the case in most garages, especially public parking garages. I can tell you that this Model X would most likely not be able to fully open its "falcon doors" in my work garage given the height clearance this car requires.

There are no official released images of the Model III. I've only seen renders or artist depictions. This is one of them:

sx4rocious

KuroNekko wrote:
murcod wrote:That's one low SUV, it looks like it would struggle to get over speed humps! Let alone anything resembling an unsealed road. :)
Teslas have air suspensions. They can rise and lower according to speed or conditions.
sx4rocious wrote:I've been following the developement of the X for the last few months. I love the look and the gull wings are awesome. It's really a heck of a design the way they open even in a garage. I love pretty much everything about it aside from the price. I'm intrigued about the III. Have you found any leaked pictures or anything yet? I read about it on Tesla's sight a bit, but I didn't see pictures when I was there. When you consider my car payment, fuel costs, and the like, buying a $35k Tesla almost sounds affordable...
I think the doors are also neat, but I'd actually not want them. Here's why:
It makes the car useless for carrying much of anything on the roof. This door design eliminates the possibility of a cargo carrier, bike rack, snowboard rack, etc.
It's also a problem in garages. The pictured garage has an unusually high ceiling. That's not the case in most garages, especially public parking garages. I can tell you that this Model X would most likely not be able to fully open its "falcon doors" in my work garage given the height clearance this car requires.

There are no official released images of the Model III. I've only seen renders or artist depictions. This is one of them:

I could be wrong, and probably am, but bear with me a moment because I believe you may have solved your own problem in the first comment: Teslas have air suspensions.

It appears in the photo that the Model X "squats" considerably with the air suspension in full droop. Judging by the positions of the light switches on the back wall, and the door knob on the side wall, the ceiling of the garage in the photo may not be as high as you think. Granted, there could be a great deal of photographical trickery involved, but I don't see anything personally to make me think it couldn't fit in a reasonably "normal" garage. Maybe not all public parking facilities, but residential garages nonetheless.

Secondly, It appears in the really cool animation on the Tesla website, that the doors contain what appears to be a hinge along the top where door meets roof, thus seperating it from traditional Gullwing doors. I don't understand much about engineering, however, it appears this hinge would actually allow the door to "swing out" more than up when necessary, like in a parking facility with lower-than-average ceilings. This may provide quite the catch 22, given most parking structures allow less-than-adequate room to open the doors of even a compact car fully.

As far as roof mounting versatility goes, some need it, some don't. I actually own a roof rack for my SX4, and honestly have never used it. It's been on the car for over a year, and it was an accessory that I desparately thought I needed at the time. Turns out, it functions as nothing more than a cool looking way to waste fuel. The only other use I've found for it is a sticker holder... (they really do add HP you know!)

Lastly, I think given the extreme attention to detail and functionality Tesla has put into their designs, I wouldn't think the "falcon wing" design wouldn't have made it into production if the target demographic (upper-middle class eco-conscience suburbanites) couldn't park one in their eco-friendly sqeeky clean (biodgradeable cleaning agents only!!) garages. Personally, I'm intrigued by the design. I'd like to see it in person as I think the entire vehicle is simply breathtaking. Sure, it's very much along the same line as Audi, BMW, and, Volvo crossover counterparts, but the Falcon doors really set it apart. I don't particularly like crossover SUV's (I'll never admit my SX4 is a crossover SUV!) but I really do find this particular one to tickle my fancy! Let's just hope I'm right about the doors fitting in the garage. THAT WOULD BE EMBARASSING!
KuroNekko

I agree that this design would fit most home garages. I'm quite sure it won't clear in low clearance garages like the one I park in for work. The doors will only open partially. I'm sure the design accounts for low clearance areas and will open accordingly.

About the roof rack: I was curious on this issue so hit up the Tesla owner forum. I guess the consensus is not to put stuff on your roof because that greatly increases aerodynamic drag which then reduces range. The preferred method is to tow things like kayaks on a trailer and use rear-mounted racks for bikes. There was one suggested render of a motorized rack mount that slides forward over the hood so the doors can open. However, I think towing/rear mounting is the better solution.

I also have the rack and bike module for my Kizashi. I admit I don't use it much, but that's more out of laziness on my part. I removed the rack and bike module more out of protecting it from the elements than anything else. The racks do also add wind noise at freeway speeds, but it's not too bad. Maybe if I find more trails to ride on, I'll put my rack and module back on for my mountain bike.
sx4rocious

I have actually grown to like the look of the rack on my SX4. (insert "nice rack" jokes here...) I bought it to make the car more versital, but I wound up not needing it, but liking the look of it. I'm sure if I had a basket or something on it, I'd use it more. I have a hatch-mounted Bike rack that I absolutely HATE, but it functions well enough for what we need, so I mount the bikes to that instead. With the Thule Faring, it really isn't much louder than normal.

Now on to talking about the new Miata!!! LOL
murcod

I've noticed how "over the other side of the globe" racks are seen as a styling accessory. It's the opposite over here- people who have them on are either using them for loads or just too lazy to remove them between use! On 4WD's they're common, but not on normal passenger vehicles eg. sedans.
David