Trunk FOB detection not working

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
jlunavtgrad

Hi,

I have a 2011 SLS kizashi and I've locked my keys in the trunk twice this month. Before this month I had never once been the victim of this all too easy and shameful mistake. Previously the keyless entry fob would not allow itself to be locked in the trunk.

I tried both fobs, same behavior. Both fobs have 3 month old batteries. I am unable to lock the car with the fob in the front seat. I found what I think is the antenna for the trunk attached to the top of the trunk next to a speaker. A small black piece the size of a small pack of gum with only two wires connected to it. Is this the part I should look to replace?

Oddly enough, when I disconnect the antenna the car acts a bit differently. With the antenna connected when I close the trunk the button near the license plate does not open the trunk. When I disconnect the antenna the button does open the trunk. So somehow this part can detect the fob and then disables the trunk button, but it does not detect the fob when the trunk is closed like it should.

Thanks for any help and advice. Too bad my warranty ran out a few months, and 3800 miles ago!
SamirD

Very strange behavior. Are you able to lock the car with the fobs in the passenger compartment?
jlunavtgrad

No, the car acts normally when I try to lock the keys in the front seat.
murcod

The antenna in the boot/ trunk does sound like the obvious part to start with.
David
BxKizashiS

Go into your glove box and you will see a trunk button on the upper right corner. that button disengages the trunk from the fob and button under the steering wheel
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
murcod

BxKizashiS wrote:Go into your glove box and you will see a trunk button on the upper right corner. that button disengages the trunk from the fob and button under the steering wheel
Interesting. I wonder if that is on all models- I've had the glove box out and never noticed anything?
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:
BxKizashiS wrote:Go into your glove box and you will see a trunk button on the upper right corner. that button disengages the trunk from the fob and button under the steering wheel
Interesting. I wonder if that is on all models- I've had the glove box out and never noticed anything?
It might be a feature only in certain markets. It's essentially a security feature that allows you to keep the trunk contents locked away from valets. You basically lock your seat backs from folding down, press this button in the glove box, and then lock your glove box. You then give only the fob to the valet, mechanic, etc. while keeping the metal key. This will keep your glove box and trunk secure. The trunk does have that armrest pass-through access port, but large items like suitcases will be secure in the trunk.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

Does whether the doors are locked or not have an affect on the key fob in the trunk functionality?
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
BxKizashiS

LPSISRL wrote:Does whether the doors are locked or not have an affect on the key fob in the trunk functionality?

Not at all. You can have all doors locked or unlocked and still pop the trunk with the fob in your pocket.
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
SamirD

Definitely sounds like this would be the place to start:
murcod wrote:The antenna in the boot/ trunk does sound like the obvious part to start with.
I'd also try it with the other key and try replacing the batteries to see if that makes a difference.