CVT issues/questions

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Bizzenn

Hello all! I just ppicked up a 2012 Kizashi SE. This is my first experience with a CVT as I prefer a traditional auto trans. My questions are as follows. when switching into gear, it jerks a bit. Also, it goes into high gear a bit to soon. I have heard that these are charachteristics of a cvt but I'm not sure. Is there supposed to be a reflash available to rectify these issues? Other than that, this car is amazing. It habdles like the porsche boxter I rented.
gentle_ben

There is a bit of a shake to ours when we put it into gear. Ours shifts to a higher gear way too soon unless you give it more gas during acceleration, then it stays in the lower gear longer.

We've had our TCM reflashed several times, mostly recently two weeks ago, with minor improvements but nothing that cured either of those above mentioned concerns.
Bizzenn wrote:Hello all! I just ppicked up a 2012 Kizashi SE. This is my first experience with a CVT as I prefer a traditional auto trans. My questions are as follows. when switching into gear, it jerks a bit. Also, it goes into high gear a bit to soon. I have heard that these are charachteristics of a cvt but I'm not sure. Is there supposed to be a reflash available to rectify these issues? Other than that, this car is amazing. It habdles like the porsche boxter I rented.
Bizzenn

Yea, it seems that is the general consensus. I have learned to work the pedal for smooth driving which I don't even think about now. It drives killer in manual mode though. Hell, I ust to manipulate the gears with my traditional auto as well, it was just easier. Thank s for the reply!
Bizzenn

Ok, new question. Once my car is at operating temp and I decide to get the Rpm's past 3 and 4k and I let off the gas quickly, I hear the tranny make this wierd sound. Almost like a turbo and a blow out valve type of sound when you are letting off the gas. Is this because the tranny is to hot, or just another cvt characteristic?
Wonson92

Bizzenn wrote:Ok, new question. Once my car is at operating temp and I decide to get the Rpm's past 3 and 4k and I let off the gas quickly, I hear the tranny make this wierd sound. Almost like a turbo and a blow out valve type of sound when you are letting off the gas. Is this because the tranny is to hot, or just another cvt characteristic?
Interesting. I dont know a thing about cvt's but my 6sp does the same thing. Sort of like a short "psht" noise?
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat
Bizzenn

Yea kinda. It sounds like there is unwanted friction but again this could be normal. Ill bring it up at the dealer but I figured I'd ask here first.
Wonson92

My dealer said he couldnt hear it even when I was with him doing it (mine does it just revving in neutral aswell) I did a post here aswell but still no luck.
2011 Premium Silver XL

murcod

Wonson92 wrote:My dealer said he couldnt hear it even when I was with him doing it (mine does it just revving in neutral aswell) I did a post here aswell but still no luck.
How do you get it to happen in neutral - I'll see if mine does it?

PS: I was reading the other day that the J24B has a dual length inlet manifold, perhaps that switching over is making the noise?
David
Wonson92

I just have to rev, when you cut the throttle it makes the noise and then the revs drop. I used to think it caused the revs to drop faster but I think I imagined it. Its loudest at full acceleration going from second to third at about 95-100km/h. I took a video for my op but never posted it. Ill try find it, may help someone in the know call it out.
2011 Premium Silver XL

Bizzenn

I have not tried it in Neutral but it has only happend in gear when the car is warm but not when accelerating. It only happens when I accelerate hard and then let of abruptly. it doesnt happen under load. My only guess is that when the gas is mashed, the tranny is in a virtual lower gear and when you let off abruptly, the belt and pully have to drop to the higher gear rather quickly so maybe there is some friction. The hotter it is the more prevelent the sound is. It was fine driving to work this morning.