Front struts

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
LPSISRL

I just purchased new shocks and bump stops for my 2011 SLS. No noise or leaks, but I've got almost 90K miles on it and as parts become more scarce, their price will go up to as well. I'm not sure as the the application of this particular KYB part, but I've got them on hand now. I know that I'll need them at some point sooner rather than later.

That brings up another question. Has anyone replaced their front struts? I don't recall any thread about the front struts. Only about the rear shocks with their leaks, noises and modified bump stops. However, struts wear, leak and get weak as well which will surely affect handling and stability just as much, if not more than the rear shocks.

Tim
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Concept-S

My rear shocks were leaking too and I changed it to KYB too and I was very satisfied. That why I decided to chance also the front shocks into KYB. But this was a big mistake and after a few weeks we fitted the originals again.
With KYB the Kizashi was always searching at the road and I couldn't steer with one hand. Now it's okay with the original shocks in combination wit 20 mm lowering springs and 19 inch rims with Toyo Sport tires

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk
Woodie

Did you get it aligned after you changed the front struts?

When I got mine it was constantly wanting to change lanes too. After an alignment it settled down nicely.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
SamirD

Ours is getting a bit 'floaty' too and is showing signs of needing new struts all-around. I haven't even looked for parts though as I don't have time to breathe at the moment.

I know on the German Kizashi site there was a guy that has the KW(?) struts and springs/coilovers that are available there. I know it wouldn't be cheap, but I think that may end up being my route if I can't get the genuine Suzuki parts somewhere.
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:Ours is getting a bit 'floaty' too and is showing signs of needing new struts all-around. I haven't even looked for parts though as I don't have time to breathe at the moment.

I know on the German Kizashi site there was a guy that has the KW(?) struts and springs/coilovers that are available there. I know it wouldn't be cheap, but I think that may end up being my route if I can't get the genuine Suzuki parts somewhere.
These are coil-overs and lower the car while making it rather stiff from what I've seen discussed about them. They seem to sacrifice comfort for performance. Oh, and they're only sold in Europe to a tune of $1500.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

We've gotten a bit off track from the original question here. The front are McPherson struts (not shocks like the rear) and I'm wondering if anyone's had them replaced. Typically not a do-it yourself job since it requires special tools to do it safely. I know that for some models you can get loaded springs with the struts already installed and then you just swap them. However I seriously doubt you could get that for the Kizashi.

So has anybody had them replaced? How much did it cost? I see you can get the struts at rockauto.com for about $55 plus shipping. (KYB 339265, KYB 339266)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
Ronzuki

There's a lot more to replace than simply the struts when tearing into the entire assembly. That's why the loaded assembly is the way to go...everything is new and a fraction of the work. Did a 99 Corolla this way on the cheap (rockauto). Seriously doubt the availability for the K as well. So even if you get the struts, best to have all other wear items purchased and ready as well. That will be the challenge, and expense.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Unfortunately, I don't recall reading anything about people getting their front struts replaced. I think the majority of Kizashis are still under the mileage in which many struts fail and need replacing. Many others have also replaced their Kizashis before coming to that point. Hence, all the talk is with the rear shocks which were known to prematurely fail due to the bump stopper flaw.

As for the replacement, I can't find any pre-assembled struts with the springs. This means we'll likely need to reuse the springs with a new strut. As you noted, it will require spring compression tools. These aren't hard to obtain but require careful use due to compressing such a powerful spring. It will be a hassle compared to replacement kits with the spring and shock already pre-assembled. I replaced all four shocks in my girlfriend's Mazda3 with a complete KYB replacement kit I got from rockauto. The KYB struts came with the springs in them. It made the job so much easier to not worry about the springs. Not having access to these kinds of bundled aftermarket kits makes owning the Kizashi harder and more expensive, especially in the long run. That being said, the build quality on the Kizashi is much much better than a Mazda3.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

One other option that might be available to some and that is to have your local shop unload and reload. Usually ones that will do this are locally owned that you have a relationship with. I was rebuilding the front end of a '99 CRV and my local shop did that for me. I have spring compression tools but it's just so dangerous. If it ever let's go it could be deadly. It's just not worth the risk. Let somebody who does it for a living with the proper tool do it. Even if it costs a few bucks. You'll still be ahead on the repair.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
barra48

LPSISRL wrote:I just purchased new shocks and bump stops for my 2011 SLS. No noise or leaks, but I've got almost 90K miles on it and as parts become more scarce, their price will go up to as well. I'm not sure as the the application of this particular KYB part, but I've got them on hand now. I know that I'll need them at some point sooner rather than later.

That brings up another question. Has anyone replaced their front struts? I don't recall any thread about the front struts. Only about the rear shocks with their leaks, noises and modified bump stops. However, struts wear, leak and get weak as well which will surely affect handling and stability just as much, if not more than the rear shocks.

Tim
I have replaced all the struts and shocks and shock mounts with parts from Rockauto.com at 75,000 miles. I paid $303.00 for all the parts. The front end required an alignment. I have heard other people praise Autogeek.com for their parts as well. They have a program on the Velocity channel that advertises their products for paint and polishing . I don't know the cost of their products.