Need help (timing chain issues)

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KlutzNinja

I have almost no mechanical know-how, either, but I’m commenting out of curiosity about this Canadian Tire place you went to. Obviously us Americans don’t have that business here in the States, so I looked on its website to see what it was about. It kind of looks like a cross between a Pep Boys and a Walmart (I have no idea if Canada has either lol), being a bit closer to the Pep Boys end of the scale (?).

This is just my take, but I’d never take my Kizashi to a Pep Boys or a Walmart (if they have an auto service department), as far as this kind of diagnosis and fix goes. The Kizashi is just way too niche and unusual for the average joe mechanic working at these places. I wouldn’t take any car there for something like an oil change out of fear of incompetence. I’m hoping Canadian Tire is a tier above our Pep Boys and Jiffy Lubes and the like, although those places have set a low bar.

Have you been to this place for repairs before? And if so, do you trust them? The wariness that the knowledgeable members here have of this place’s evaluations on your car has me questioning if the employees at this Canadian Tire know what they’re doing with your Kizashi.

Are there any certified Suzuki service centers in your area (this can include dealers of other brands that used to neighbor with former Suzuki dealers, I think). I’m assuming there are some still hanging around in Canada like down here in the US. The Suzuki website might be able to help you find such a place.
Failing that, maybe an independent auto shop that specializes in Japanese cars, especially Nissans due to the shared JATCO transmission.
I’m just writing this out of concern for you and your Kizashi. I hope everything turns out okay.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Woodie

I was pretty sure it was 200 but I went and looked it up before posting that.
DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES
COMPRESSION CHECK
1. Warm up engine to normal operating temperature.
2. Stop engine after warm-up.
3. For CVT model, place select lever in "P" and apply parking brake.
For M/T model, place gear shift lever in "Neutral" and apply parking brake.
4. Remove engine cover.
5. Remove all ignition coils and spark plugs ,see SPARK PLUG REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION .
6. Disconnect all fuel injector connectors.
7. Connect special tools together and install then into spark plug hole.
Special Tool
A. 09915-64512
B. 09915-64530
C. 09915-67010
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
2010 ENGINE Engine Mechanical - Kizashi
Fig. 2: Connecting Special Tools Into Spark Plug Hole
Courtesy of SUZUKI OF AMERICA CORP.
8. Depress accelerator pedal all the way to fully open throttle.
9. Crank engine with fully charged battery, and read the highest pressure on compression gauge.
NOTE: For M/T model, disengage clutch to lighten starting load on engine, and
depress accelerator pedal all the way to fully open throttle.
NOTE:  For measuring compression pressure, crank engine up to at least 200
rpm with fully charged battery.
 Check resting position of special tool if measured compression
pressure is lower than the limit.
 If the measured compression pressure of particular cylinder is lower
than the limit, add a bit of engine oil into the cylinder through the
spark plug hole, and then repeat the compression check.
 If the compression pressure increases after adding engine oil,
the following may be the cause:
 Pressure leakage due to worn piston rings or worn
cylinder
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
2010 ENGINE Engine Mechanical - Kizashi
Compression pressure
Standard: 1,400 kPa (14.3 kgf/cm2 , 203 psi)
Limit: 1,100 kPa (11.2 kgf/cm2 , 160 psi)
Max. difference between any two cylinders: 100 kPa (1.0 kgf/cm2 , 14.5 psi)
10. Carry out Steps 7) through 9) on each cylinder.
11. Install spark plugs and ignition coil assemblies, see SPARK PLUG REMOVAL AND
INSTALLATION .
12. Connect fuel injector connectors.
13. Install engine cover.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
FrankoLaMoya

Oh I totally agree with your concerns in terms of Canadian Tire. I went there a few times, but I usually don't. I called other places and they could not take my car for another 2-3 weeks. I'll call other places today never know. I was advised that the timing chain is only available in China and would take 4 weeks to get here...
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
old tech

Wow, there ia actually a compression spec listed by the manufacturer, I stand corrected. I will say the compression gauge in most tool boxes are of the $20 low buck variety that the accuracy isnt there or really need to be in the diagnoses of no start , its that you have a reasonable amount like over 100 and it should start. the cylinders being near even will make it smooth. Its to bad that where you have the car now, they wont or dont have the ability to check the self diagnosis system to see what it saw when it failed to start. Im thinking there could be a pending code that could be helpful such as a cam crank correlation. I think it wouldnt be a waste of time to pull the valve cover and have a look to see if there was enough slack in the chain or gear wear to jump.( I highly doubt it) You probably need a new valve cover gasket anyway by now. If the compression is truely 50 on all cylinders , Id really like to turn the intake camshaft back and forth( using a wrench on shaft between cyl 2&3) to feel whether it returned to lock like its supposed to . It should feel nearly solid. If this didnt lock , the camshaft could be floating a good bit off causing code and lower compression . The vvt actuator control solinoid could have failed. I have only changed one of these on a kizashi. Not a common failure here but seems way more common on Toyota. Its taken 4 times longer to type this out than it would have to just check it if i was there.
Woodie

FrankoLaMoya wrote:I was advised that the timing chain is only available in China and would take 4 weeks to get here...
Probably because no one has ever seen one break. :lol:
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
FrankoLaMoya

Thanks for all the info oldtech and woodie!! I had sent an email to the service manager yesterday morning including what you guys had mentioned. The guy called me yesterday afternoon indicating he was feeling weird about the compression test as it would take some time for the pression to show on the gage. He apparently did another test 2 evenings ago and let it sit for the night...my car was extremely flooded apparently so they changed the spark plugs, the air filter and drained the oil (mixed with gas) and got it back last evening lol not quite sure why he did not get to that conclusion the first time especially that spark plugs was the first thing I mentioned when I called as I had never changed them...

PS you are right woodie about the part being in China...lol timing chain do not break on the Kizashi!! Thanks again peeps.
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)