Radio Volume Jumping Solution?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
PlatinumGTS

I have had the radio volume jumping problem from the beginning and brought this up with the dealer during my past two visits for service. Of course they couldn't verify it in the shop either time. (It has not been terribly bad so I just endured it.)

Today I had an appointment for service and I tried again. This time I sat in the car with the service tech and after a few minutes of listening to the CD player it misbehaved once and he heard it. (Never mind that it did it all the way to the dealer this morning)

I explained that this seemed to be a known problem with the amp that has been discussed here. They had to call Suzuki though and decided the problem was the radio not the amp. I know others have had this problem solved so what are the chances it really is the radio? I suspect it will be replaced and the problem will continue. (Radio ordered)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
Ronzuki

I see your Kiz is identical to mine. If your AVC is set to OFF and you're having this issue, I'd say you'll be going back for the amp replacement as you suspect. Who knows, :roll: maybe the dealer knows something we don't. :lol: An increase in ambient temperature was the main thing that triggered the fluctuation in my car. 45-50 degrees F, or higher, outside w/ the radio on for 20-30 minutes (AVC OFF) would always make it start jumping. My problem was that the two times I had appointments were during winter of the first year I owned it and temps were well below that 45-50 degrees...it wouldn't fail in their presence. So after the second time, I just went and called ASMC directly, politely gave them the story and the resolutions to the problem as described here on this forum. Finally after pointing out that currently own 3 Suzukis, they called the dealer, agreed to send the amp to them and when it arrived I made the appointment to get it swapped out. It's been nearly a year I think, went through a hot summer and the problem is solved.

I'd call ASMC anyway and let them know the whole story ahead of time and that you don't believe the radio swap is going to solve the issue based upon other owner's experiences. Tell them you want to open a case number (or whatever they call it). Once that happens, there's a little more attention paid to your problem on their end. Make sure they document the dealers name phone number and who at the dealer you are working with. It's all up to who you talk to initially, be polite and be firm as they will most likely attempt to blow you off. Insist that they generate that case number so that when you go to the dealer to get the radio swapped, you can give them that info and they know that ASMC is now involved.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
PlatinumGTS

Hey Ron,

Mine is same build date as well.

I was going to call Suzuki first but the dealer has been good so I thought I would give them another chance to find it. I have to go back in Tuesday morning for the new radio so I probably won't have a chance to call Suzuki. Maybe I will luck out and won't have to go back again.

Thanks, Mike
aflippin1982

Thank goodness I am not the only one! I have the same model, but in the dark grey and have has this same problem since day one. I bought my car with 9 miles on it. Ive taken it into my orginal dealership several times, but could never duplicate it there, go figure. I have since moved to Rhode Island the the dealership here is horrible. Im nervous about taking her back there since they broke the axle swapping out a wheel hub bearing thing. Needless to say, the volume issue is annoying to say the least. So all I need is a new amp?
2010 Kizashi GTS AWD
PlatinumGTS

In short, if you have the same problem then yes. The problem will be convincing the dealer of it. They first had to replace my radio which resulted in me getting a broken one as a replacement. Then they had to replace that radio with another one. (My original good radio was long gone by then) I had to call Suzuki of America and get them involved which finally got an amp replacement. My problem solved. Three dealer appointments later.

You will first have to get them to hear the problem. That took me a while.

By the way, replacement radios are refurbished not new. There are no new radios.
Ronzuki

aflippin1982 wrote:Thank goodness I am not the only one! I have the same model, but in the dark grey and have has this same problem since day one. I bought my car with 9 miles on it. Ive taken it into my orginal dealership several times, but could never duplicate it there, go figure. I have since moved to Rhode Island the the dealership here is horrible. Im nervous about taking her back there since they broke the axle swapping out a wheel hub bearing thing. Needless to say, the volume issue is annoying to say the least. So all I need is a new amp?
Most likely. Unfortunately, it was difficult to convince anyone the problem was the amp, especially if it doesn't jump when they attempt to listen to it. It's a $1,000+ part, so no one is going to be in a hurry to order one in. I'd say print everything off this forum you can find related to the problem and bring it to the dealer to use to help convince them to order it in under warranty. There's at least one other longer thread w/ more info. Search my user name to narrow it down. It's not difficult to replace, it simply bolts into the car and it's plug and play, but it's expensive. Good luck to you.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KIZFAN2

My dealer tried to tell me it was everything else but the amp. I finally convinced them and they replaced it. Presto the jumping was gone.

Thank god for this forum.
2011 Kizashi SX