Brand new kizashi with high speed vibration

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
gdiamond

I purchased a kizashi last saturday, and noticed a vibration in the wheel and the passenger footwell that occurs above 77mph as soon as I got on the highway. My service manager called suzuki for some engineering advice, and was told that they would not help at all because the state speed limit is 65mph. I am writing this to point out the obvious: that's weak suzuki!
Last edited by gdiamond on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kizashigal

Hopefully you will get your problem resolved, but this forum is not owned by Suzuki so feel free to rant all you want.
2011 Kizzy SE AWD Deep Sea Blue

*drive it like you stole it*
Ronzuki

What makes you believe it is not wheel/tire balance or alignment? Have you had an alignment done? Several folks here have had out of spec alignments from the get go on their brand new car. Some worse than others. Myself included. Not to the point of vibrations, but premature tire wear. One wheel was very far out of spec, and I know it wasn't caused by anything I had done.

Also, some tires are just plain bad. I purchased a set of Scorpion A/Ts for our suburban years ago and from the start I had deathly vibrations at 55-near 70mph. After a second balancing didn't correct the problem, tire dealer said rims (steelies) were bent. BS, they were fine up until those tires were put on. Had another shop balance them and while it improved, it was never eliminated and we lived with it until I replaced the tires again. Poof, new Firestone tires, no more vibes, back to smooth as silk.

My suggestion, if your dealer is trying to work w/ you, is to have them completely swap a set off another Kiz and take it for a spin (that is if this hasn't been attempted already).
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
eatrocks

Get the alignment checked at a real shop...preferably a shop that does custom alignments. I have a 3 month old 2012 sls with a bad cvt tranny...haven't had time to take it in but I kno it's goin to be a long ordeal getting a 'new' cvt put in
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
chazyouwin

From a different angle, I can vouch for tires being a possible issue.

In one of our Zuke XL-7s, for several years there was always a bit of increasing instability at higher speeds (greater than 60 mph). I could change the tire pressure and that would help, and tire rotation did not solve the problem. The problem to my great surprise was completely solved when I put on new Yokohama Avid tires all around. Nothing else different. And, regardless of tire pressure, the car ran true and silky.

Good luck solving the problem and welcome to the forum.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
NiteRider

Sounds like the dealer is trying to figure it out. I agree with the earlier poster, swap out a complete set of wheels with another Suzuki and take it for a spin. I doubt the dealer will test it out since they can be liable if something goes wrong when going over the legal limit. So I see the conundrum. I'm curious as to what trim you have on your kizzy.
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
~tc~

Alignment and road force balance.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
gdiamond

the problem was solved, and you all had the right gut instinct. changing out the wheels removed the shimmy in the steering wheel. the passenger floorpan does still vibrate pretty bad at 81-82mph though, and then immediately calms down again at 83. i can only hope it gets worse so I can get it fixed under warranty
Last edited by gdiamond on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ronzuki

good to hear you're fixed and it wasn't something major withe the car itself. That would have been disappointing.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)