TPMS and dome light woes

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
ProMarinero

This is my first post here. I purchased a 2012 AWD SLS in June and have loved every minute of it so far... well, almost. :(

My problem is the dreaded TPMS system. While the stock wheels are 18" I found a screaming deal on a set of virtually new Hankook Winter iPike tires mounted on 16" MB wheels with the same offset and bolt pattern. These are extremely close to the OEM overall tire diameter and the wheel size is smaller.

I took them to the local Discount Tire as they sell these units. They installed four VDO Redi-Sensors. I was disappointed to find out that Suzuki (or VDO?) doesn't support the "learnable" sensor model so I will need to have them reset each time I swap summer/winter shoes. Bummer, but c'est la vie. I drove out with the winter tires on and no issues. Everything was good for about 20 miles and then the "Service TPMS" light came on. I took it back a few days later and they found no issues but reset the sensor. Again, everything was fine for 20 miles and now the light is back on. :x

I'm wondering if the sensors also work off of wheel speed. From what I've read these external sensors only are tied to pressure but perhaps Suzuki has it set up different in the ECU. Since I went from the 18" to the 16" wheels they would now spin faster. Does anybody know?

The other issue I've noticed is the dome light is not working now though the switch is in the middle. It works just fine if I switch it on but no go otherwise. I'm thinking maybe some code was switched during the process of pressing the driver door switch for the TPMS reset. Anyone know this one?

Thanks for any help that can be provided. Besides this stupid TPMS system I love the car! I've put on a clear bra and 15% tint. Looks fantastic.
vapor2

I think the sensor only care about the pressure. May i ask how much Discount Tire charge for the sensor and each "relearn" time?
Juan

this is an issue that is keeping me from not buying a second set of tires an rims for the winter - at least for now
ProMarinero

More info. I posted this on a different site. I'll know more Friday:

I have a 2012 SLS for which I bought a mint set of used MB wheels with Hankook Winter iPike tires for a virtual song. I did the research on TPMS units and found that Schrader made the cloning EZ sensor but there was no vehicle application for the Kizashi. I took the car down to Discount Tire as they exclusively sell MB wheels. I figured they would cut me a bit of a deal.

The salesman said that the VDO Redi-Sensors would work as cloned sensors without having to match the old units. Basically they put them in, put the wheels back on the car and I take off. Somehow the unit would pick it up. When they got them on and had to use the little tool to help the car learn I was highly disappointed thinking that with the EZ sensors it wouldn't have needed it since the car would have sensed the OEM sensor IDs on the cloned sensors. The salesman said unfortunately Suzuki didn't support that so I would have to get the sensors tied to the car's ECU each time with the tool. Discount Tire would do it for free though, just a hassle of time.

I left with the car. Went about 20 miles and the Service TPMS light came on. Took the car back a few days later and they reset everything. Went another 20 miles and the light came back on again. Yesterday I called the salesman and said the light was back on. I was wondering if the tire size would cause a problem as they are a little bigger than stock. Perhaps the different wheel size was causing an issue with sensed rotational speed and throwing an error? He was going to check with his corporate people for some help. I would do my own research too.

He called me today and said that there IS a method of cloning the OEM sensors to to new TPMS sensors - no tool, no learning necessary. The wheel speed had nothing to do with it as they are pressure-only (direct) units that only set off with low pressure. Tire position on the car is also a non-issue. It's supposedly a simple matter of plugging the original ID's into the new sensors. I'm going to bring the car in this Friday and we'll try the process again with the stock wheel sensors being cloned to blank ones. I also did some calling and got in touch with Bartech USA who handles the EZ Sensor line here. They said even though the Kizashi isn't listed in their application they COULD use cloned sensors. The specific one is the Bridgeport 33000.

I'll know more Friday. Hope this helps those who are trying to run a set of snow shoes and deal with this stupid TPMS system.
slmishler

Had the first issue with our 2011. Had the vehicle serviced on Thursday and tires rotated and then on Friday my Service TPMS light came on. Have rechecked the tire pressures and all is good there. I'll have to call the dealer on Monday to see what's up. I've wondered if the first real cold weather of the year (overnight low of 33) had anything to do with it.
ProMarinero

SOLVED! Check the main chat forum for details.