Stinky Burning Smell

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KizashiKrazy

Hi Everyone! I have been wanting to buy a Kizashi now for a about two years. I was planning on waiting till next year, then I heard they were stopping sales here in the U.S. I decided to go to the dealer and take a look. After looking at two models, I fell in love with a Silver 2013 Kizashi GTS. We took it for a drive locally, (no highway driving) and when we got back to the dealer after only about a 10 minute ride the car smelled terrible. I love the car, but the dealer told me it's completely normal as it only has 11 miles on it. I wanted to drive another one to see if it had the same smell, but I didnt have the time. I had to go to work. I put money on it to hold it and I have been approved for the loan. I go to pick it up this week, and I am super nervous about that smell. Anyone else experience that when they purcharges theirs brand new?

Thanks in advance!! :D
Wonson92

How hard were you driving it? With 11 miles if you drove it any more than average youd be bound to work up a bit of smell in the tires, brakes and general new engine smell. Should pretty much smell sort of rubbery/plasticy/metalicy but I wouldnt say burning? Mine had some smells for the first week but it was all normal, nothing smells now on a normal drive. Maybe if your unsure, find another demo model of any other car with low miles to test drive and thrash it to see if its the same smell.

Good luck with your purchase!
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat
murcod

I'd say it's normal. Mine smelt for at least a couple of weeks, things like the engine and exhaust have contaminants on them that will burn off. If I drive it enthusiastically I still get the smell.

Enjoy your purchase. :)
David
KizashiKrazy

Thank you for the advice. I did not drive it like I would normally drive (fast and furious!) Lol. I think I would have scared the dealer. I am used to having my foot to the floor with my current vehicle. It scares me a bit to think that even after having the car for a while that if I drive it like I drive my current vehicle, it may have that smell. It's a beautiful car, I am going to ask them to let me drive another one to check the smell just to make sure. My husband even went down and drove it and was concerned. He drove it a little rougher than I did, because he knows how I drive.

I can't wait to pick it up! It's a gorgeous silver color that looks like a mirror. So shiny and new with all the bells and whistles! A huge step up in toys from my Saturn. One of my only gripes is that they don't have a turbo, and the AWD doesn't come with a manual transmission. :roll:
KuroNekko

KizashiKrazy wrote:One of my only gripes is that they don't have a turbo, and the AWD doesn't come with a manual transmission. :roll:
I think we all want that too. I have a manual, so I was left with no choice but FWD. I would have wanted an AWD drivetrain. A turbo would be nice, but it would also require premium fuel. Not sure if it would be worth it for me as I am not power-crazed.
There are also turbo AWDs like the Subaru Legacy GT and the late Mazdaspeed6 among others, but they can get pricey.

The reason the Kizashi is a one-engine car is because Suzuki's deal with VW fell through. VW was supposed to be a supplier of a turbo engine like their 2.0 T or maybe a V6, but they never delivered. Suzuki got agitated and broke off the deal with VW, going to FIAT for small diesels in other markets.
GM used to supply the V6s found in older Suzukis.

Oh well. I guess it doesn't matter anymore anyways for us in the US.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Wonson92

It'll go away like any new car (presuming it's not actually a manufacturing fault in that specific car). If I drive mine hard now all I get is the smell of brakes and tires but that'll happen in any car. Personally I like it minus the guilt that it throws with it :P if it came in awd manual I'd be all over that but in saying that, it's easily the best handling fwd I've ever experienced. Smashes the imprezzas awd handling.
2011 Premium Silver XL

KizashiKrazy1

Well, it's me again. Lol. I had to create a new name, because even though I wrote my password down, it would not let me log in. No button to reset the password. Sooo... here I am...

And I am.....

A KIZASHI OWNER!!!

Picked up the car on Saturday, and I love it! Not as much oomph as I like, but I think that it will do.
murcod

Well done. You'll get used to the drop in power, the good thing is they have a fair bit of torque at lower revs where you need it.

Send a message to Moto if you want your old login unlocked. I had the same thing happen to my account recently- very frustrating and it won't be from you entering your password incorrectly.
David
Wonson92

Congrats! Welcome!

I don't find it has a power issue at all but mine's a manual. I'm guessing it all comes from the cvt stabbing on the fuel knocking into gears too quickly. I would say mine is more powerful than most cars I've driven (most being 2-3.6 litres depending)
2011 Premium Silver XL

KuroNekko

I also drive a manual Kizashi. While the car isn't very fast, it is not that slow either especially accelerating from 3000+ rpm.
I once read an article by a car critic who had driven both the CVT model and the 6 spd manual Kizashi. He remarked that driving the manual felt like a car with 50 more hp than the CVT. The CVT saps acceleration for the sake of efficiency.

I wish I also had AWD with my 6MT.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)