Windshield washers not working properly

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
lah365

The windshield washers on my 2011 have stopped working intermittently for no apparent reason. This has occurred in the middle of a trip after driving several miles, so the car is warm, upon encountering cold outside temperatures (i.e. below 20 degrees F). Moreover, it has occurred shortly after having successfully used the windshield washers and they resume working just as suddenly after returning to warmer outside temperatures. When they don't spray, you can hear the pump working. Also, the reservoir is full of washer fluid for use in low temperatures. Sometimes you can feel fluid on the washer nozzles even though the fluid is not spraying onto the windshield. Any ideas what could be causing this?
KuroNekko

I suspect the fluid is freezing in the lines to the nozzle. Given that it's 20 below (that's frigid, man) and you say you hear the motor working and it's better at warmer temp, it's most likely the fluid freezing in the lines.

Here's what I would do:

A) Use a needle or pin to clear out the nozzles of the washers. Make sure there is no obstructions like residue or dirt.
B) Buy more windshield fluid rated for sub freezing temperatures.
C) Blast the fluid onto the windshield and use for at least 30 seconds when it works. This will allow the fluid to flow and the sub freezing fluid to definitely run into the lines from the reservoir.
D) Refill the reservoir with the fluid for sub freezing temperature.

Could it be that your fluid in the reservoir is a mix of regular and sub freezing fluid, therefore the mixture is freezing? Also, many of the winter washer fluids I've seen are not rated to 20 below. Many I've seen are 0 F or -10 F, but not -20F.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
fjroman2

Looks to me he/she was just saying that it was less than 20 degrees F. Not 20 below.
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)
jute2003

still sounds like freezing fluid
KuroNekko

fjroman2 wrote:Looks to me he/she was just saying that it was less than 20 degrees F. Not 20 below.
I think you are right, but I still think the fluid is freezing in the lines.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
lah365

Thanks for the input. I haven't had the car very long, and I think it was originally purchased in Florida, so it may well still have some non-cold-weather washer fluid in the reservoir. Annoying, but hopefully something that will resolve soon!
cocos3

On the subject of windshield washers...when I pull the lever to wash and wipe the windshield, the wipers do a complete swipe of the dirty screen before any water is sprayed!!

This can't be good for the glass or the wiper blades.

Does anyone else have this problem...is it typical of Kizashi or can it be adjusted?
Red 2013 Prestige w/ sat-nav
murcod

Mine is much the same. Probably not much you can do, short of fitting some sort of one way check valve to prevent the water draining out the lines? (I'm assuming that is the problem?)
David
cocos3

Thanks David. I think I'll question Suzuki on it...living in a regional area means quite a bit of dirt on the windscreen and it makes me wince every time the blade scrapes over the dirt.....

Andrew.
Red 2013 Prestige w/ sat-nav
WIKizashi

I noticed this problem as well, cocos3. What I do now is quickly tap the washer arm a few times to "prime" the sprayers If you do it quick enough you'll start to draw the washer fluid up but won't activate the washer arms. Four or five taps should be enough to get fluid on the windshield and avoid a dry pass.