kizashi mpg

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
lookin

well im having this problem when driving my average mpg reading 13 to 14 and 10 miles average speed....now i dont think this is right went to dealer reset the numbers and it started reading average 24 mpg now its back to 14 mpg so they told me i have to reset it everytime i drive i dont think thats right what are you guys experience with the mpg computer.....i do mostly city driving...could the dealer be right or faulty mpg computer....in my other cars whenever i drive i get a readout of mpgs without having to reset everytime..its not a big deal but i would like to know its working right
TheHolyGhost

You can adjust when it resets in the center information console. If you hold the trip button in for about 5 seconds it will activate some settings that can be changed, one of them is when the trip meter resets. I'd check what that is set to.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
lookin

i did reset went on highway got 32 mpg doing 50-55 i thnk that good then city driving it was reading 25 mpg think thats good too if accurate...will try again i guess it has to be reset ...ah well...thanks for the info anyway
TheHolyGhost

No I mean, you can set it to reset when you turn the car off, when you refuel or never. So it may be resetting when you start the car.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
lookin

ok i will look into this
lookin

Instant and average economy hmmm im not so sure what the white bar is telling me its seems to be hitting the top a lot but my average is saying 13 mpgs again i think something is funny here
TheHolyGhost

I've never found the instant reading to be particularly useful other than for maximizing my driving on the highway. When you're coasting it's maxed out, every time you accelerate it plummets. Have you tried manually calculating your mileage over a tank of gas to see how close it is to the computer? I don't think it's ever a good idea to rely solely on the in-car reading. Fill up, reset your trip meter, drive your normal tank of gas, refill at the same station and then divide the distance you traveled by the number of gallons you put in. This has always differed from the in-car reading for any car I've ever owned. I find the in-car gauge to be useful for comparisons to previous tanks but not really for absolute gas mileage readings.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
gaww

I have mine set to refresh after each fill-up. i have manually checked the average for a tank against the computer, and it has been right on (with rounding). I am averaging 27 with a mix of town and open road driving.

13 mpg sounds low - but may be possible in stoplight-to-stoplight driving. I watched the average right after I filled up off a freeway and accelerated up to 75-80 when getting back on. The "average" was about 9-10 for that segment.

Do a manual check of the mileage as suggested and hope that the computer is off (warranty repairable) and the 13 mpg reading is not correct in town.
TheHolyGhost

Mine seems to be about 2 MPG higher than what I calculate. I've only filled up twice though, so it's a small sample size.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
lookin

I WILL TRY THE MANUAL TEST..YES IN NYC EVERY BLOCK IS A STOP LIGHT I THINK ON HIGHWAY ITS FINE BUT STILL THINK IN CITY DRIVING 13 MPG STILL KINDA LOW....I WILL DO MANUAL THOUGH ANOTHER THING I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT LOL IF NOT WORKING OFF TO DEALER