Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
klement

Woodie wrote:I doubt it too. That's just the story they told you to make you go away.
That's something I doubt. This is probably the best dealer I ever found in my experience. I already had a few warranty claims and they were always forthcoming and willing to fix them right away. They are actually fixing squeaks and rattles which I report - for free, under warranty.

A lot of people recommend this dealership regarding service here in my area.
ipaqxman

Which dealership is this? I'm having trouble finding a dealer service that's actually willing to help
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
klement

ipaqxman wrote:Which dealership is this? I'm having trouble finding a dealer service that's actually willing to help
I guess you're out of luck ... I'm in Europe, Slovakia ..
Woodie

Good that you've found a dealership that you trust, that's a rare thing. That explanation doesn't seem plausible from a mechanical standpoint. I'm a mechanic and it sounds like bullcrap.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
klement

Woodie wrote:Good that you've found a dealership that you trust, that's a rare thing. That explanation doesn't seem plausible from a mechanical standpoint. I'm a mechanic and it sounds like bullcrap.
Could you explain why?
Ronzuki

Belts don't whine, they squeal and screech. Whining is normally a description for a hydraulic symptom, hence the topic of the thread. The CVT has a hydraulic pump in it. Something driven by the serpentine belt may very well be whining, but not the belt itself. Whining under the hood would almost always be associated w/ hydraulic power steering, but since we have electric assisted power steering (go that right this time) that possibility may be gone. Whining under the floor or the tunnel would usually be the trans, however, the CVT is also under the hood, left side whilst in the vehicle, serp belt and driven components to the right. Simple question: which side of the car is the whining noise emanating from?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
twoqttsdad

It sounded like it came from the from under the engine, driver's side.

Took it to the dealer a couple days ago but it did not make the sound again and hasn't since. :(

A decelerating whining sound with some oscillation as it whines down. Not a smooth linear decelerating whine but kind of flutters or oscillates as the rpms drop.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
Woodie

twoqttsdad wrote:It sounded like it came from the from under the engine, driver's side.
Which is where the transmission is, the opposite end from the belt.

Belt drive noise would be constant whenever the engine was running and vary along with RPM, it's not going to show up only under deceleration, that makes no sense.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
murcod

You can get accessory drive belts slipping intermittently with different loads and revs.
David
Ronzuki

murcod wrote:You can get accessory drive belts slipping intermittently with different loads and revs.
...and then they'll screech or squeal, not whine. Besides, I've never had a modern day serpentine belt slip. That's what the tensioner is for. Old school V-pulley belts w/o automatic tensioners slipped and screeched all the time especially as they aged. It was a mechanical check and manual adjustment maintenance procedure.

The whine in the left front of a Kiz would have to be CVT related, or, MAYBE the electric assist steering (seeing as I really don't know much about the device, I can't rule it out).
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)