issue with front passenger window switch

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
stackz

had an issue over the weekend with the wife's kizashi dying. turned out the battery was dead and the terminals corroded.

got it all cleaned up and a new battery in and when I cranked up the car I went the raise the windows (had them down to air out the car while working on it in the hot sun). the master switch on the driver door works for all windows but the front passenger one.

the switch on the passenger door works though so I was able to raise the window.

I dont want to believe the switch is worn out as she hardly ever uses the windows in the first place and the car only has 45k on it.

I'm wondering if I caused some sort of security feature to activate locking that window out on the master switch as I was playing with it while cranking the car up for the first time since replacing the battery, is that possible?

is there maybe a fuse blown out in the window circuit or should I just focus on getting a new master switch?
KuroNekko

I had something very similar happen to my former Mazda. Nearly identical issue though it wasn't following a battery replacement.

My understanding is that each window does not have its own fuse so that's not the issue. Also, the fact that your front passenger window switch works, but not the one for the same window on the driver's door indicates it's not a fuse matter, but more a switch matter.

What I did to fix mine was dissemble my window switch and inspected the electrical contacts for corrosion. I then rebuilt it and it worked.
A few weeks later, it failed again so I took it apart again, but this time made sure to use dielectric grease on the contacts between the switch button and the switch circuit board. I then carefully rebuilt it. It worked well ever since.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

You could try the old Peugeot owner's trick - activating the switch fast and many times to try and clean the contacts. (It's very sad when you're taking delivery of a new vehicle and the dealer has to show you that "trick" because some switches are already not working!)
David
stackz

ok wow, cant believe I let this issue sit for almost 2 months before fixing it the other day.

anyway, I honestly thought I did something to the main switch itself even though it happened when I was replacing the battery.

so I grabbed the owners manual and went to each of the 3 fuse panels. why the hell are there 3 panels :facepalm: and why are the two underdash ones in such horrible places to contort yourself to?

anyway, I did have separate fuses for both of my front power windows as well as a main fuse for the entire system. they were all good. nothing wrong under the hood.

I sat back and scratched my head a bit, then went to the power window section. read a little.

apparently what had happened is the auto up/down somehow got disabled. no CLUE at ALL why that also basically dead switched the front passenger window on the driver side panel.

anyway, I reset it manually at each of the front windows and now the auto up/down works again for both windows and the passenger window can be controlled from the main switch again.

really goofy if you ask me but figured I'd let people know in case you end up in the same situation.
Ronzuki

Thanks for the heads-up, and kudos for actually reading the manual!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

stackz wrote:ok wow, cant believe I let this issue sit for almost 2 months before fixing it the other day.

anyway, I honestly thought I did something to the main switch itself even though it happened when I was replacing the battery.

so I grabbed the owners manual and went to each of the 3 fuse panels. why the hell are there 3 panels :facepalm: and why are the two underdash ones in such horrible places to contort yourself to?

anyway, I did have separate fuses for both of my front power windows as well as a main fuse for the entire system. they were all good. nothing wrong under the hood.

I sat back and scratched my head a bit, then went to the power window section. read a little.

apparently what had happened is the auto up/down somehow got disabled. no CLUE at ALL why that also basically dead switched the front passenger window on the driver side panel.

anyway, I reset it manually at each of the front windows and now the auto up/down works again for both windows and the passenger window can be controlled from the main switch again.

really goofy if you ask me but figured I'd let people know in case you end up in the same situation.
I was hoping it would be something simple like this. A lot of cars with auto up/down need to be reprogrammed after a battery change. 8-)
murcod

I don't think it would be the battery change that did it. I've had mine disconnected numerous times and the auto down/ up has always stayed the same.
David
SamirD

murcod wrote:I don't think it would be the battery change that did it. I've had mine disconnected numerous times and the auto down/ up has always stayed the same.
Then it could have been something else, but I know both the Kizashi and my Boxster manual both say the windows need to be reprogrammed after a battery change.
murcod

I would have had the battery disconnected 10+ times (the joys of a vehicle that doesn't get driven regularly); a couple of those times have been for extended periods. The windows have always stayed in the auto up and auto down mode.

Perhaps that's the default mode that they are set to on battery reconnection?

Edit: I can't find any referrnce to the Power WIndow System need to be "re learned" after battery disconnection. It only mentions a "Power Window System Initialization/Reset"
"Make sure to conduct initialization/reset of power window when its part is replaced. Auto operation including anti-pinching function will be disabled if initialization/reset of power window is not conducted. "
Apparently each front power window motor and the master switch have their own ECU's and they talk to each other!
David
SamirD

I thought I had remembered a section in the owners manual referring to resetting the auto up/down feature. I know my boxster manual mentions it, so it's not all that unusual.