CVT Technical Service Bulletin

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
bdleonard

Looks like Suzuki has posted a new TSB on the CVT over temperature "limp" condition that can occur in the Kizashi and SX4. The bulletin is TS 01 07067 dated July 6, 2017. It is currently available for free download on the Suzuki Pit Stop Plus site:
https://suzukipitstopplus.com/Products/ ... surge.aspx

"Emergency" Band-aid: If/when the condition occurs, find a safe place to stop and turn off the car for 30 minutes to allow the CVT fluid to cool. The CVT should behave normally after restarting.

Main "Fix": If experienced in hot weather while driving in hilly or mountainous conditions after >60 minutes and the car has more than 30,000 miles drain, refill, and set the proper the level of the CVT fluid. The procedure is detailed in the TSB.

Secondary Fix: If experienced in cool weather or normal highway or city driving >30 minutes check for TCM error codes (DTCs). If there are codes follow the service manual diagnostics. If NO codes, replace the TCM.

NOTE: This is "just" a technical service bulletin and not a recall of any sort. It simply advises the service center on how to handle this specific condition. If your vehicle is no longer covered by warranty, you will more than likely be paying to have any of this work done. If you're car is still covered by the factory power train warranty (7yr / 100k miles here in the US) remedying this according to the TSB is likely to be covered.
LPSISRL

Thanks for this update. I've not looked for TSBs in some time.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
bdleonard

Effectively it is a recommendation for people who drive in Hot / Hilly areas to drain and fill the CVT fluid every 30,000 miles. Which includes re-filling the fluid level back ridiculously precisely. The TSB literally draws a line on the dipstick and says that with the CVT fluid between 158-176 degrees (checked with the factory scan tool) it should be filled to exactly that point on the transmission dipstick. No idea how this all fits with the previous TSB for the CVT that involved replacing the pan, filter, and dipstick on the early cars (2010-2011) (For more info on that one, see: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3687#p37768 )

Here is a copy of the newest TSB (I had previously forgotten that file uploads are a thing we can do here):
TSB Auto Trans TS 01 07067 CVT Fluid suz_013727.pdf
(281.28 KiB) Downloaded 1070 times
Ronzuki

bdleonard wrote:Effectively it is a recommendation for people who drive in Hot / Hilly areas to drain and fill the CVT fluid every 30,000 miles. Which includes re-filling the fluid level back ridiculously precisely. The TSB literally draws a line on the dipstick and says that with the CVT fluid between 158-176 degrees (checked with the factory scan tool) it should be filled to exactly that point on the transmission dipstick. No idea how this all fits with the previous TSB for the CVT that involved replacing the pan, filter, and dipstick on the early cars (2010-2011) (For more info on that one, see: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3687#p37768 )

Here is a copy of the newest TSB (I had previously forgotten that file uploads are a thing we can do here):
TSB Auto Trans TS 01 07067 CVT Fluid suz_013727.pdf
Now that I've re-read all there is here on our CVTs and fluid (coupled w/ my own experience), I think the pan replacement TSB of 2015 was a feeble stab at solving a deficiency. Only relating to specific occurrences (because they don't want to pay for any more than needed). It retained the same fluid volume, so no gain there. The 2017 fluid TSB is the reality of the deficiency. The fluid is most definitely not 'lifetime' and not even good enough to outlast warranty coverage. They went from a stance of infinity (no mention anywhere in owners or service manuals) to It should be swapped out every 30,000 miles per latest TSB. Just like any other automatic transmission out there (past or present), to prevent the failures that we are now seeing and hearing about in 2018, and, at unacceptable mileage tallies.

Kuro, probably ought to sticky this particular topic under DIY as it is the TSB I refer to in the drain and fill DIY sticky. Or better yet, maybe create a quick link category for all TSBs and recall bulletins that members find and post for quick access and referral.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)