O2 Sensor

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Endeavour1200

Hello guys! I had a question, is the upstream O2 sensor the same as the downstream O2 sensor? And can someone please send the part numbers for the O2 sensors? I remember starting a thread here but I can't find it, maybe it got lost after the revamp of the website.

Also, I came across this very cheap O2 sensor for the Grand Vitara (as the engines are same I think it can fit our kizashis as well). If you can check and confirm that this can fit the car it'll be nice, thanks a ton.

Link: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400127933 ... 1df767549f
n8dogg

No they are not the same...just replaced mine. Here they are at Rock Auto...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suz ... ensor,5132

I don't know about that one at Ali express...I'm cheap, but I like my car too much to throw something that cheap at it! And emission problems will only lead to other problems if not fixed well...poor MPGs and failing Catalytic converters are a few I've dealt with...
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
SAEED_KIZZY

Yep, always OE part especially for sensors. Besides this Chinese sensor do not support 2.4L engine probably would not fit either.
Woodie

Upstream is between the engine and the catalytic converter. Downstream is after the cat. They do different jobs, probably the same sensor but the wire will be a different length and the connector might be different. Both of them are not bad at the same time, if you're getting codes for both you've got a wiring problem.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Endeavour1200

no, both arent bad, I only have the code for the downstream sensor. but I read somewhere that O2 sensors should be replaced in pairs and I might aswell replace both sensors because they are known to fail at this mileage.
KuroNekko

IMO, you don't need to get OE sensors and pay the inflated price. Just get quality brand name sensors. For Japanese cars, I only use either Denso or NTK because it's one of these that was likely installed at the factory when a car was assembled in Japan.
I'm not a pro but I never heard of replacing upstream and downstream O2 sensors together. They are subject to different conditions related to temperatures and particles. Most people just replace them as needed because the check engine light often indicates a malfunctioning sensor that needs replacement.
O2 sensors are neither hard to come by nor hard to replace if you have the proper O2 sensor sockets/wrenches.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
n8dogg

My 2 cents...no pro here either, but on previous high mileage vehicles I've owned, I had performance (MPGs) and exhaust failures (burnt up cats) due to things like lazy sensors and computers that allow for a certain amount of tolerances that over time become a problem. It was suggested to me that it is a good idea to replace them together. If one is failing, the other is probably not far behind (kind of like our headlight bulbs :lol: ). Not necessarily because they just fail one day, but rather they wear out over time with slowly decreasing performance that the car can compensate for until a threshold is crossed, or complete failure, which would then trigger the CEL. And until that condition is met, things like your MPGs can be affected due to the car compensating.
KuroNekko

n8dogg wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:11 am My 2 cents...no pro here either, but on previous high mileage vehicles I've owned, I had performance (MPGs) and exhaust failures (burnt up cats) due to things like lazy sensors and computers that allow for a certain amount of tolerances that over time become a problem. It was suggested to me that it is a good idea to replace them together. If one is failing, the other is probably not far behind (kind of like our headlight bulbs :lol: ). Not necessarily because they just fail one day, but rather they wear out over time with slowly decreasing performance that the car can compensate for until a threshold is crossed, or complete failure, which would then trigger the CEL. And until that condition is met, things like your MPGs can be affected due to the car compensating.
I agree that is a better practice but you can imagine that 99% of the cars on the road don't follow such a process. For non-car people, it's replace when it fails. I also wonder if components like O2 sensors last longer than in the past due to better tolerances, cleaner emissions, advanced sensors, etc. I know that traditionally, O2 sensors were considered 100K replacement parts.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
n8dogg

KuroNekko wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:42 pm
I agree that is a better practice but you can imagine that 99% of the cars on the road don't follow such a process. For non-car people, it's replace when it fails.
Totally agree. I think a lot of people are looking to throw away the car at about the time these kind of problems develop; would rather have a new car payment than have to start dealing with repairs. I try to get longer life out of my cars, a lot longer than what the typical maintenance schedule is written for, and therefore have to start replacing/maintaining parts that aren't in the schedule in order to keep it running well. And I sure don't mind doing that to a certain extent, but even I have a certain threshold where I no longer want to put any more time or money into a car. Such as the '99 VW GTI which was replaced by the Kizashi. I just couldn't keep up with the issues and sold it off at 244k miles. So far, the Kizashi has been a good gamble for a long lasting/low maintenance/reliable car. I fear for my CVT and keep my fingers crossed it will somehow magically last forever!
Endeavour1200

n8dogg wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:42 am
KuroNekko wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:42 pm
I agree that is a better practice but you can imagine that 99% of the cars on the road don't follow such a process. For non-car people, it's replace when it fails.
Totally agree. I think a lot of people are looking to throw away the car at about the time these kind of problems develop; would rather have a new car payment than have to start dealing with repairs. I try to get longer life out of my cars, a lot longer than what the typical maintenance schedule is written for, and therefore have to start replacing/maintaining parts that aren't in the schedule in order to keep it running well. And I sure don't mind doing that to a certain extent, but even I have a certain threshold where I no longer want to put any more time or money into a car. Such as the '99 VW GTI which was replaced by the Kizashi. I just couldn't keep up with the issues and sold it off at 244k miles. So far, the Kizashi has been a good gamble for a long lasting/low maintenance/reliable car. I fear for my CVT and keep my fingers crossed it will somehow magically last forever!
I'm also looking to change both the sensors because my car was neglected by its previous owner and I want to reduce the amount of niggles I face, so I started this thread. Anyway thanks to all who commented, :D