TPMS nightmare

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Ronzuki

There's seeking discovery and innovation, and then there's going too far. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

So you think this TPMS garbage doesn't infringe on liberty? Oh really, is that a fact? Clearly history is going to repeat itself in the not so distant future. So tell me then what happens when I bring my car, in for its annual gov mandated state inspection (because I'm untrustworthy) and that god damn light is on? Yeah, It fails. And my car instantly becomes legally useless as a transportation device. An expensive lawn ornament. Not because my tires are low on air, and unsafe (which ironically the vehicle code doesn't require them to check the air pressure btw), rather because the busted government mandated techno nanny-minder says there's a problem when in fact there is NOT. Now , I MUST deal w/ the reality of post one of this thread. should I desire to operate my vehicle on the road EVEN THOUGH THE TIRES ARE PERFECTLY SAFE. Just because some piece of garbage tech forced upon me by idiot politicians who were convinced by a different bunch of idiots that this over-priced ,1/2 thought out, horse-crap is necessary. Sorry to say, buddy, but yeah, that entire episode infringes on my liberty plenty.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

As you stated yourself, driving is a privilege, not a right, thus it is arguably not an essential liberty. This is why you have a license that allows you to drive on public roads. Americans have more protected rights to firearms than to drive.

No doubt, a TPMS light would be a headache for inspection, but it's not some sort of rocket science to deal with either. The main hassle of Woodie's OP is that some "pros" don't seem to know the details of programming the sensors. Go to the right person or find out the right process (thanks again, Woodie!) and it's not so bad. It's not like we Kizashi drivers are the only ones with TPMS either. Also, in general with all cars, the batteries in these last about a decade so realistically, you'll have to deal with this process once in the ownership of the vehicle. I just don't see how that amounts to so much drama about them.

But, if it's any consolation, I agree that it's not a necessity for all people. I personally own vehicles like the VW bus and the V-Strom that don't have or need TPMS or much electronic nannies at all. But then again, these vehicles are types the vast majority of drivers would not/could not operate as they require more skill/less ease so neither of them represent the typical kind of vehicle driving on the road today. My point is that in the general application, TPMS is beneficial to most drivers and I think most consumers actually want it. *gasp* After all, the cars with more tech are the ones that sell better. It would be nice to have a choice about this stuff but market trends have shown us that companies don't want to make and offer models/features that don't sell well. While TPMS and back-up cameras came about from legislation, most of the other tech did not but we are seeing it implemented more and more. Consumers apparently want this stuff so who then are you going to rage against when there are issues with things like automated braking or lane assist? The free market?

While you are very jaded from your experiences with automation in your professional field and want to avoid this stuff in your personal life, I'm very jaded by the notion people can be "accountable" for safety on the road, even for themselves. You've seen the headaches with automation and want to warn us all of its evils. I get it. On the contrary, I've seen the lowest of personal accountability in my profession and many of my cases deal with vehicles ranging from DUIs to vehicular manslaughters. You don't trust technology driving cars and I don't trust people driving cars. However, technology improves rapidly. People? Nope.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:12 am The main hassle of Woodie's OP is that some "pros" don't seem to know the details of programming the sensors. Go to the right person or find out the right process (thanks again, Woodie!) and it's not so bad. It's not like we Kizashi drivers are the only ones with TPMS either.
That is the nail in the coffin with all of this garbage, not just TPMS, and the entire point of this discussion, rant, whatever you want to call. as well as other topics . This over-use is NOT sustainable nor affordable. Period. What you accurately descibe as the 'main hassale' of Woodie's OP will not get any better w/ time and adding even more confusing unsupportable tech to a vehicle. Period. Why do you suppose the work I do for a living is becoming less and less profitable? We're light years ahead of the auto industry in this regard. I'm telling you where it is headed and what to expect. We've hit a plateau on how much we can charge for 'things' and can no longer recoup all of the lost hours spent fighting w/ the technology that we employ. The manufacturers are of little to no help w/ the untested junk they produce and sell. Their attitude is they want to charge us more for calls with requests for us troubleshooting their failures just so we can earn a living by applying their junk in a design. It's not just one or two manufacturers either. It's across the board. The term rampant has great significance here. Ye be warned.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
dslatsh

I as well could use some help with the TPMS system...

I have been searching on this forum info on TPMS, as I purchased a set of wheels+tires with sensors installed for winter tires. I found the "Tool-less" instructions and gave it a try, where you turn to on then push the drivers side door light button on and off etc...only to notice that later on they mention using a tool to scan the sensors, not sure why would be called tool-less then.

Now since I did this my TPMS light flashes twice and even with moving to the "summer" tires it is not picking them up. so in the end do I need a tool to get the car to read the TPMS sensors or fill tire to the PSI in the door jam and just let some air out after getting into the re-learn mode?
Woodie

What do you mean by TPMS light flashes twice? I would expect that your dashboard has been screaming "service TPMS system" since you put on your winter wheels.

Having a good tool makes it easier but they're expensive. There are simple tools that do nothing but trigger the sensor for under $20, I have no experience with those.

Once you successfully put the car into re-learn mode the little tire icon on the right side of the speedometer should blink. You have 90 seconds to run around the car triggering the sensors, either with a tool or by letting five pounds of pressure out. They say LF RF RR LF, but I don't think it makes any difference what order. If you get it right the light in the speedometer will go on solid for five seconds then go off, the alarming display in the middle should go off too and return you to your trip computer/mpg display.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
dslatsh

Woodie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:57 am What do you mean by TPMS light flashes twice? I would expect that your dashboard has been screaming "service TPMS system" since you put on your winter wheels.

Having a good tool makes it easier but they're expensive. There are simple tools that do nothing but trigger the sensor for under $20, I have no experience with those.

Once you successfully put the car into re-learn mode the little tire icon on the right side of the speedometer should blink. You have 90 seconds to run around the car triggering the sensors, either with a tool or by letting five pounds of pressure out. They say LF RF RR LF, but I don't think it makes any difference what order. If you get it right the light in the speedometer will go on solid for five seconds then go off, the alarming display in the middle should go off too and return you to your trip computer/mpg display.
The only thing that my dash is doing since trying the re-learn mode before was the tire icon in the speedometer flashes twice as if it can't find sensor 2? I guess depending on the number of flashes, speed etc. tells you what it is on for. But no I do not have a triangle with TPMS in middle all orange etc...thought it was odd to. So I guess i'll try letting 5 lbs out of each tire :)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:11 am Was thinking maybe Tiger wouldn't have ended up endo'-ing in epic "I was doing everything else in the car except driving it'" fashion if his Hyundai was an over-priced, 1/2-baked, seriously under-tested in the real world, over-automated model of some sort or other then aye?
Interesting how the evidence is out now that strongly supports that the driver, not the technology, caused the crash... just like about all crashes ever. Ironically, it was newer automotive technology, the vehicle "black box", that revealed to investigators that Tiger Woods was driving about twice the speed limit shortly before the crash. He would have fared better in an automated car. :lol:
NickL

Last time when I changed sommer for winter tyres I realized that I don't have TPMS. So I was thinking that when I buy new sommertyres to buy the Tyre sensors as well. But after reading the thread here and when realizing how much pain in the ass these sensors can be, I decided that living without sensors will make my life easier. Anyway I check the tyre pressure my self once in every 2 weeks or wenn I am about to take a longer trip.

Saying so... i am curious to know if running the car without TMPS on a long way can cause any problems or complications on electronical units on a car? To be honest I have no idea how the computer doesn't show the error when the sensors are disconnected.

Does anyone have an idea maybe?
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford
KuroNekko

NickL wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 pm Last time when I changed sommer for winter tyres I realized that I don't have TPMS. So I was thinking that when I buy new sommertyres to buy the Tyre sensors as well. But after reading the thread here and when realizing how much pain in the ass these sensors can be, I decided that living without sensors will make my life easier. Anyway I check the tyre pressure my self once in every 2 weeks or wenn I am about to take a longer trip.

Saying so... i am curious to know if running the car without TMPS on a long way can cause any problems or complications on electronical units on a car? To be honest I have no idea how the computer doesn't show the error when the sensors are disconnected.

Does anyone have an idea maybe?
Aren't you in Europe? I think Suzuki didn't put in the TPMS electronics to nag you about air pressure like required in the US. It's required by law in the US (which is what Ronzuki and Woodie hate about it most). This is why if the sensors are missing, batteries in them dead, malfunctioning, or the tire pressure is low, the warning comes on. However, unlike most other cars, the Kizashi's TPMS warning is quite aggressive with a flashing orange center display warning. I don't oppose TPMS but I would say the Kizashi's warning is unnecessarily aggressive.

As for your Euro-spec vehicle, I doubt getting sensors would do anything. Without the electronics onboard to sync with the sensors, the sensors themselves would probably do absolutely nothing. I'm not sure about Euro regulations but I take it that TPMS is an option that's not required by law there.

Keep in mind that the Kizashi was a global vehicle that Suzuki tweaked for various markets ranging from different trim offerings to features on the car. Some markets did not get base models like we did in the US with the Kizashi S. Suzuki was not a mainstream brand in the US when the Kizashi was introduced so they needed a base model to fill some sales at the lower cost point. Keeping the costs lower across all trims was also a concern so the US never got some luxurious features like HID headlights with washers, auto-folding mirrors, adaptive cruise-control (option in Japan), etc. I think Euro versions had factory rear fog lights which USDM models never got. This is why we have a dummy bulb under the reverse light. Another difference was that US and Canadian models had Daytime Running Lights. Different markets have different regulations and market trends so Suzuki spec'ed the Kizashi accordingly.
NickL

You are right, I am in Europe. So you must be right when you say that Kizashis in Europe most probably didn't have these sensors.
I don't need them at all cause I actually never had a car with these sensors before so I do have a habbit of checking the tyre pressure from time to time. I do agree with others who claim that TMPS is something that the drivers definitelly can live without. However, at least 70 % of today drivers are not checking their cars on regular basis (to make sure that engine oil level and other liquids in the car ara at good level). Not only that, they are proud to say that they don't know how to open the bonnet of the car cause the only time it is beeing opened is at the mechanical workshop. That should mean that their cars are bulletprof reliable and that they don't need to know how to open the hood, but if You ask me I think that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how reliable or safe cars we drive, its a fact that all of them are made by man, and that means that anytime anything can be broken or go wrong.

That's why I find that checking the tyre pressue or other mechanical and hydraulical systems in a car should be a common sense for any normal car driver. Unfortunatelly, it isn't.
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford