Rain-sensing wipers - erratic behavior

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
rytmx

Sadly, no go. I must be misreading something, because no matter what I do (5-4-5, 5-1-5, 5-4-5 or just 5-1-5 for re-initializing) the clearance lights aren't starting. It's like it's not entering the 'programming mode' at all. I've tried it both with the engine off (thus pushing the start button twice, ACC->ON), as well as with the engine on (start button+brake=engine starts) - same non-result. The automatic lights are working, and there's no error message or any erratic clearance lights flashing.

What am I doing wrong???

I've taken a couple of pictures of the sensor from outside the windshield - sorry the quality isn't great (with and without flash) - I was in the underground parking.

Flash:

No flash:
SAEED_KIZZY

rytmx wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 am Sadly, no go. I must be misreading something, because no matter what I do (5-4-5, 5-1-5, 5-4-5 or just 5-1-5 for re-initializing) the clearance lights aren't starting. It's like it's not entering the 'programming mode' at all. I've tried it both with the engine off (thus pushing the start button twice, ACC->ON), as well as with the engine on (start button+brake=engine starts) - same non-result. The automatic lights are working, and there's no error message or any erratic clearance lights flashing.
all preconditions must be followed.
ON means pressing 2 times START button without the brake pedal.
and also section 2 must completed within 10s.
personally succeed to enter programming mode after 2 or 3 times ;)

at this point silicone pad is not your primary problem although I saw in your picture there is no metal bracket for the rain sensor module. is this an OE windshield for Kizashi or an aftermarket one?
rytmx

On preconditions: "Wiper is in park positions" means that the wipers are 'parked' at hood level, where they normally stay between wiping cycles, right? All other points I cannot see how I can fail on.

Also, do you wait until the display writes 'ON', or simply press the start button twice and start turning that dial? So far I have waited until that beeping (no flashing lights) is stopping, and until 'ON' appeared on the display. Still puzzled why Suzuki chose to implement this 'cheat' way of entering programming - given the possible settings they could have offered a 'Settings' menu item, like most other manufacturers (even in 2010-2013 when the Kizashis were made).

To your question: the windshield was said to be OEM. It had the 'made in japan' sticker, the same writing etched to it as the original one, and the wipers worked normally after the replacement (we have lots of rain here, so it wasn't like I couldn't test it - and I have paid attention to both wipers and dimming rearview, as I feared they might fail to reconnect everything properly.

The only thing I cannot vouch for (because I wasn't really allowed to enter the shop where they were working) was whether they have installed everything properly, i.e., all parts. But judging by the look of it, the technicians seemed like they knew what they were doing, and it was a shop only specialized with glass replacements.

Can you please describe how to take off the mirror? I'd like to take a look behind. Maybe it's a matter of dust or something - like I said, all worked well right after the windshield was replaced earlier this year.

Thanks a lot for your continued assistance! Have a great day!
SAEED_KIZZY

Yes wiper parked position is correct
after pressing the start button twice no need to wait to do the dialing.
If you push the engine start switch to “ON” and mirror indicator lights turn on to green your connection is good.
here instruction to open mirror and check sensor

BTW, auto-dim and auto-light are 2 separate options. Auto-dim is handed by the mirror but auto-light is handled by rain sensor module.
photo_2021-11-12_11-59-42.jpg
rytmx

I'll keep on trying and will report back.
if the mirror indicator lights turn on to green your connection is good
Are these the turning lights? Or was the mirror anti-dim active green square meant? Or, what are the mirror indicator lights?
SAEED_KIZZY

I think the best way to describe is to quote from the service manual
photo_2021-11-12_11-59-42.jpg
rytmx

I am truly puzzled. Read on.

Around lunch today I headed out to a Dr. appointment. I didn't have time to start fiddling with Suzuki's strange video-game-like Indiana-Jones-like hidden levers and buttons combinations, but I did follow all the steps in the rearview mirror inspection procedure uploaded by SAEED_KIZZY (see previous post). All rearview mirror functions worked perfectly.

Subsequently I started the engine and headed out of the underground parking. It was raining outside. The wipers were set to OFF. After driving a few meters, I moved the handle to Auto (and the regulator was at 3, thus in the middle of the range). The wipers started, as I expected. I initially didn't pay much attention to them, until totally surprised I noticed that they actually do what they are supposed to - react without delay to the changes in rain, and also seemingly to the speed of the car (i.e., when at a traffic light, the wipes would wipe less often, and they would resume once I got moving - probably because there was a stronger rain quantity on the windshield). I was flabbergasted.

OK, I got to where I need to get (20min drive, city/highway/city), and because I got there early I thought I'd try again making the 'clearance lights' blink. Lo and behold, I managed to from the first attempt. SAEED_KIZZY's suggestion to not wait until ON shows up must have made the difference. They appeared to blink in similar on/off phases, probably half a second each (I can't really judge exactly, sorry). I then tried to go over the settings (5-4-5-1-5-4-5 and then headlight lever Off/On/Off), but nothing appeared to change. I then also performed the 'reset' (5-4-5) and locked the car as I had to enter the clinic.

Shorty after, I drove back home. Strong rain at times, but the wipers were right on the mark, constantly adjusting. I've kept the regulator at 3, and the windshield was clean enough at all times, including when opposing cars splashed mine.

Getting home, I paid attention when driving inside the underground, and as expected the headlights turned on when they were supposed to. The wipers stopped wiping right after I entered the covered area. I left the wiper handle on Auto, as I used to always do.

Some 3 hours later, I again went out for a short trip, and all still worked well. This time around the wipers were on Auto since I started the car. No wiping in the underground with the windshield dry, but they started immediately as I exited. All as expected.

I guess many others would be happy that everything appears to work again, but I'm in IT and I wouldn't be myself if not trying to understand precisely what has happened. To sum up:

1. before today I haven't ever seen the clearance lights coming on, even though I've tried quite a few times to trigger them - if any commands were registered (read below for my supposition), I wouldn't know.
2. I haven't removed the rearview mirror, and didn't actually do anything 'physical'.
3. the erratic behavior (or rather, what might have been the 'manual intermittent operation' - similar to a car without rain-sensing wipers - I didn't know that setting existed, or I might have thought it's a matter of a setting rather than a bad contact or broken sensor) didn't start immediately after having had the windshield replaced - I would have noticed right away, especially since initially after the replacement I was very attentive.
4. the only different thing that happened between when the windshield was replaced (April 2021) and until I noticed something's off (October/November 2021, thus after about 6 months) was that the car was left parked underground for a month (I was abroad in August/September). But the battery remained connected, and everything appeared OK - the car started up normally and on its own, didn't lose any other memory - but it's the only out-of-the-norm event that I'm aware of. No one else has access to the car, drives it, or even has the keys.
5. I didn't knowingly try to change any settings or anything, because first and foremost I didn't even know such settings existed.

Assumptions:
1. somehow something happened while the car was left untouched for a month. But again, it was parked underground, at constant temperature, with no interactions. I have left it untouched for up to 2 weeks before.
2. very very unlikely - could I have mistakenly and randomly triggered the 'hidden procedure'?
3. also unlikely - perhaps something was off (but why, what caused it?) and I have reset it a few days ago without realizing (nothing was blinking, but maybe the 5-4-5 sequence did its job) - and I didn't drive it since.
4. or could it be a contact matter, or a flaky sensor? I guess time will tell.

Any opinions on the above?

Thanks, especially to SAEED_KIZZY! This car is amazing, and so is its community! ;)
SAEED_KIZZY

good work rytmx. it is not a simple procedure indeed but the fact that it fixed itself I think a loose connection can cause that but in order to fully diagnose you need Suzuki scan tool to read errors car electronics became complicated every day and sometimes this complication leads to erratic behavior and also low battery voltage can cause it.
rytmx

SAEED_KIZZY: thank you! Besides getting the problem fixed (fingers crossed), our exchange has reminded me of a different era (2000s-2010s), one when I used to be quite active on a number of discussion boards. Well structured conversations, proper exchanges (most time), and getting things done. A former founder and administrator of a large board (>100K registered users, thousands active every day), I've seen it slowly but surely dying day by day, won over by social media. Is this evolution? Tough call, time will tell :)