Rain-sensing wipers - erratic behavior

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
rytmx

Hello All,

I'm wondering if someone experienced the same issue.

Current problem description: the wipers are working normally when the handle is pushed upwards (manual one-wipe), pulled towards the driver (wipe&liquid), as well as in low and high continuous wiping speeds. The issue is in the automatic mode, where it does appear as if the rain sensor doesn't exist anymore. If put in auto mode I still have control of the frequency, and the wipers appear to function normally, like for a car without a rain sensor.

Background information: the car is a 2011 fully loaded, 65K miles, I've had it for 5 years and drove it about 30K miles. I've always (until recently left the handle on automatic, and it worked wonderfully - when leaving the underground parking if raining the wipers started working on their own, and they stopped when entering the underground. If in traffic the rain intensified or if another car splashed water on my windshield - I could count on a very quick reaction which kept me safe.

What has changed: about a year ago a stray rock hit my windshield and cracked it a bit (1/4 inch or so). I found out the insurance is replacing it with just a low deductible. It took a long time to bring the OEM part from Japan (COVID times), but I got it about 6 months later. In the meantime the crack didn't expand. The windshield was replaced at a specialized shop, and I monitored the replacement and was satisfied with the skill of the technicians. After the new windshield was installed, I have paid attention to both dimming rearview mirror and automatic wipers - and all appeared to work as before, aka, very well. All was fine for a few months.

How I've noticed the issue: I'd say gradually. Things started acting up slowly. Sometimes I'd exit the underground while raining and it would take a longer and longer time for the wipers to kick in. Pulling the lever towards me once seemed to help. Other times I noticed than entering the underground kept the wipers going at the same pace as before. Sometimes I would start the car after it was parked for days and fully dry - and the wipers would start and kick a few times (but not forever). What really freaked me out was when in traffic when on the highway the rain suddenly intensified, and I kept waiting for the wipers to start - and they didn't. I then pulled the lever once and noticed that the frequency is the one selected by the regulator, and not by the actual amount of water on the windshield.

What troubleshooting I've done so far: I went online and found the following links:
https://www.suzuki-forums.com/threads/r ... et.119089/
viewtopic.php?t=4728

I thought that the sensor needs a reset - but even when downloading the entire procedure of in the service manual - the 'clearance lights' aren't flashing no matter what I try doing. It appears that the car thinks all's fine. Is there any way I can force the 'reset'?

One more detail: when the windshield was replaced, the technicians didn't disconnect the wires from the sensor - they've left it hanging. Hence even though the service manual says that the reset must be done after a windshield replacement, I doubt my Kizashi 'knows' that its windshield was in fact replaced. And the new windshield is the same OEM part, I've compared even the etched codes etc. between the old and the new one. And, I say again, nothing happened immediately after the replacement - or I would have been on their case.

Any hints?

Thank you!
SAEED_KIZZY

Hello
what about autolight?
is it working or not?
rytmx

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:10 pm Hello
what about autolight?
is it working or not?
Thanks for your reply. Auto-light works no problem whatsoever.
SAEED_KIZZY

so the sensor is good electrically.
I think somehow your wiper setting is changed to manual mode follow the instructions in the attached file to change the wiper setting to automatic mode or semi-automatic mode.
rain_sensor.rar
(3.4 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
rytmx

THANKS! Wow, that's different (and much more detailed than the procedure I've seen so far - which probably only covered a replaced windshield).

Questions:
1. Is it the same sensor? I am really surprised that it's the same sensor for the headlights and wipers. I hadn't expected that, thought they are different/independent of each other.
2. do you think it matters whether I do this outside (maybe while raining) - or may I do it in the underground parking? Where there's neon light and obviously no rain. Does it matter at all what light intensity there is, when I do it?

Thank you, SAEED_KIZZY!
SAEED_KIZZY

:) you're welcome
1- Yes one unit (sensor) for both tasks
2- as long as your ambient temp is within the specified range you be OK I think.

also, check the silicone pad for air bubbles and dirt.
rytmx

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:25 am also, check the silicone pad for air bubbles and dirt.
I haven't tried yet (crazy day), but will let the community know how it went.

BTW, what silicone pad are you referring to? I had this car for close to 5 years and I'm still learning new things about it :)
SAEED_KIZZY

:lol:
I mean this
photo_2021-11-12_11-59-42.jpg
photo_2021-11-12_11-59-42.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
rytmx

Thanks...I see now what you mean.

I assume that to get to it I grab the mirror by the stem and pull/lift it towards the roof of the car?

Ah, and one more thing - should that silicone pad have been replaced with a new one when they replaced the windshield? Or the new windshield contained a new one? I was there, but didn't know what to look for...
SAEED_KIZZY

No need to change