AWD Not Working Christmas Tree lights

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
GearFunk

Good Morning All,
New to the forum but not new to Suzuki's. This is my second Kizashi and I've had an AWD SX4 before as well.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

It snowed big time in Utah today. I put my Kizashi in awd and hit the gas. Immediately service AWD, hill hold disabled, and service esp system popped on the dash.

I confirmed that AWD was indeed NOT working in the snow. It would seem to me that the system recognizes that the rear wheels are not spinning immediately and then throws up all the warning stuff.

No codes are stored in the system and all the lights go back to normal when the engine is turned off and then back on.

Car has only 55k miles and is well maintained.

Any help is much appreciated. I wonder if something is just disconnected or it's a fuse or something.
old tech

I’ve had four Kizashi’s that have lost awd for two reasons.1 I had one towed on a dolly without removing the driveshaft . 2. Air temp sensor for coupler damaged and computer seeing wrong temp. Can you read data for the awd system and see the reported temp ? Can you check all other systems for any strange codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GearFunk

Thanks for the reply. I recently bought the car so I don't know much about its history. I took it in to the dealer today to get diagnosed. I forgot to mention that I had seen one other instance of these error messages on the forums here. It was battery related. As a result, I pre-emptively replaced the battery with a very nice AGM. No luck.
The car is in fantastic shape otherwise and I can't see any reason why it would have ever needed to be towed (No paint work or anything).
This error is happening when the car is ice cold. That of course doesn't rule out damage to the air temp sensor wiring - but there is no error message for temp and no codes stored.
old tech

Is this only happening cold then? My suggestion would be make all those lights come on again and without shutting engine off, check all systems codes and maybe then watch abs wheel speed data on an easy drive. I had an sx4 that had good matching speed but had one with a dirty scope reading, a sensor took care of it. If today they find that the coupler unit has been damaged, it is available new but very cost prohibitive. A used rear diff unit would be the way to go and then unbolt coupler and use just it. Im pretty sure the awd automatic sx4 is the same
GearFunk

Dealer called with an update. Said the AWD System is working as intended and that this error code will pop if the rear wheels are spinning freely for too long - i.e. 4-10 seconds. (Confirmed by putting car on a lift with all wheels in the air. Front/Rear spinning at the same time.
Seems off to me. They're not charging me but I still feel like that doesn't sound right.
GearFunk

Dealer was able to pull code C1252.
old tech

Their explanation doesnt make sense to me. The code is, I believe , an open in the coupler clutch winding.
(on driver side of coupler) An ohm meter should be used to check this. If its found to be an open circuit( defective) Then you need a used coupler. These do not fail very often. There plenty in salvage yards. They are simple to change. If it has continuity then the two terminals that plug in here need checked for power and ground when starting out in drive or reverse. If you find you need a coupler. give me your zip code and Ill find one close to you.
GearFunk

Wow. Thank you so much. That's super helpful. I'll try and get that tested soon.
GearFunk

old tech wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:14 am Their explanation doesnt make sense to me. The code is, I believe , an open in the coupler clutch winding.
(on driver side of coupler) An ohm meter should be used to check this. If its found to be an open circuit( defective) Then you need a used coupler. These do not fail very often. There plenty in salvage yards. They are simple to change. If it has continuity then the two terminals that plug in here need checked for power and ground when starting out in drive or reverse. If you find you need a coupler. give me your zip code and Ill find one close to you.
Got the light to pop again for them. They diagnosed it as the coupler. Is there a specific part number for it? Also, is it possible to just throw an aftermarket diff in the housing and call it good?
old tech

Par no. is 276 10 7 9J01 they are only $1700. Aftermarket mmmm never saw anything like that. Best repair here is a used one. Give me your zip and Ill find a cheap one near by you.