Kizashi shared platform

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
nickoloza

Hello.

Do you guys happen to know, does Kizashi (2010) share platform with other car? I'm currently in search of engine/transmission mounts, does other car(s) have same or at least similar mounts that applies to Kizashi as well?

Thank you.
KuroNekko

The Kizashi does not share its platform with any other vehicle. The Kizashi was supposed to be the platform from which Suzuki was hoping to create a CUV and a wagon, as hinted by prototypes. When the Kizashi flopped globally, Suzuki cancelled all plans for any vehicle on this platform and doubled-down on their commitment to small cars. Hence, the Kizashi is really a one-of-a-kind in terms of the chassis.
While the Kizashi does not share the same platform, the J24B engine was also used in the Grand Vitara of similar model years. Finding and matching Grand Vitara parts might be your best bet. Old Tech might be able to shed more light as he's a pro mechanic and has personally seen how various Suzuki parts compare across models.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

Depending on who you talk to about this, though, you might find some people (mistakenly) claim the Kizashi is “a Chevy,” which was originally the plan. The Kizashi was to be built on the Malibu’s platform, but then Suzuki and GM had a falling out, and Suzuki developed their own platform from scratch.
So if you take your Kizashi to a mechanic and they try to tell you it’s a Chevy like mine once did, don’t believe that. He thought because it was a “Chevy” that he might be able to find GM parts that fit. I ended up finding my own parts so I’m not really sure. FWIW the part I needed was a window regulator - about as far from an engine mount as you can get lol.
The used car salesman who showed me my future Kizashi said the engine was from a Honda Accord (from the same time period, not current Accords, of course), which is also false. Same overall displacement, also an I4, and a similar code name I think, but not the same engine. I think my experiences show how little people actually know about the Kizashi :lol:.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
nickoloza

KuroNekko wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:13 pm The Kizashi does not share its platform with any other vehicle. The Kizashi was supposed to be the platform from which Suzuki was hoping to create a CUV and a wagon, as hinted by prototypes. When the Kizashi flopped globally, Suzuki cancelled all plans for any vehicle on this platform and doubled-down on their commitment to small cars. Hence, the Kizashi is really a one-of-a-kind in terms of the chassis.
While the Kizashi does not share the same platform, the J24B engine was also used in the Grand Vitara of similar model years. Finding and matching Grand Vitara parts might be your best bet. Old Tech might be able to shed more light as he's a pro mechanic and has personally seen how various Suzuki parts compare across models.
Hey, thanks for the answer.

Who or what is the Old Tech? Im new in this stuff.

Thanks.
nickoloza

KlutzNinja wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:40 pm Depending on who you talk to about this, though, you might find some people (mistakenly) claim the Kizashi is “a Chevy,” which was originally the plan. The Kizashi was to be built on the Malibu’s platform, but then Suzuki and GM had a falling out, and Suzuki developed their own platform from scratch.
So if you take your Kizashi to a mechanic and they try to tell you it’s a Chevy like mine once did, don’t believe that. He thought because it was a “Chevy” that he might be able to find GM parts that fit. I ended up finding my own parts so I’m not really sure. FWIW the part I needed was a window regulator - about as far from an engine mount as you can get lol.
The used car salesman who showed me my future Kizashi said the engine was from a Honda Accord (from the same time period, not current Accords, of course), which is also false. Same overall displacement, also an I4, and a similar code name I think, but not the same engine. I think my experiences show how little people actually know about the Kizashi :lol:.
Hi.

Kinda unfortunate for me, but thanks for your reply.
KlutzNinja

nickoloza wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:29 pm
KuroNekko wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:13 pm The Kizashi does not share its platform with any other vehicle. The Kizashi was supposed to be the platform from which Suzuki was hoping to create a CUV and a wagon, as hinted by prototypes. When the Kizashi flopped globally, Suzuki cancelled all plans for any vehicle on this platform and doubled-down on their commitment to small cars. Hence, the Kizashi is really a one-of-a-kind in terms of the chassis.
Hey, thanks for the answer.

Who or what is the Old Tech? Im new in this stuff.

Thanks.
In short, old tech is a member here based in Pennsylvania who has worked on countless Kizashis and has a way of extending the life of the CVT, among many other fixes. If you are close enough to him you can visit him to work on your Kizashi. He’s usually active on the threads about Kizashi problems, and has provided lots and lots of help and info about troubleshooting and solutions for all sorts of issues.

To reply to your reply to me, it’s not all bad news with mechanics and the Kizashi, and I hope I didn’t scare you off from them. The one I took mine to for replacing brake pads and rotors (different from the mechanic I went to for the window) said he appreciated the chance to work on something like this; it was kind of a change of pace from the usual cars out there. I’d say that’s a good outlook. Most mechanics are probably willing to do work on your car, but Suzuki-trained mechanics (e.g. people who used to work at Suzuki dealers) are far and few between. It helps if you’re based somewhere like Australia or the UK where Suzuki Auto is still a thing.
Last edited by KlutzNinja on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KuroNekko

KlutzNinja wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:40 pm Depending on who you talk to about this, though, you might find some people (mistakenly) claim the Kizashi is “a Chevy,” which was originally the plan. The Kizashi was to be built on the Malibu’s platform, but then Suzuki and GM had a falling out, and Suzuki developed their own platform from scratch.
While I'm no authority on the Kizashi, I don't think the Kizashi was ever really intended to be on a GM platform for a number of reasons. The first is that Suzuki was already using GM-sourced Korean cars before the Kizashi so if Suzuki was looking to rely on GM, it would have realistically been what we know today as the Chevy Cruze. The Cruze is actually a GM Korea (formerly Daewoo) design and generations of it prior to USDM introduction were branded as Suzukis in other markets. Also, the Suzuki Forenza, Reno, and Verona were also Daewoos preceding the Cruze so had Suzuki wanted a new vehicle relying on GM, it would have likely been or based on the Cruze, which was already a smaller Asian design.

The second reason is that I watched some Kizashi developmental videos in Japanese and it was clear that Japanese Suzuki chief designers and executives wanted to build their own sedan from the ground-up, free of outside influence for the design. The Malibu platform would have been too big for what Suzuki had in mind as a nimble and more compact midsize with sports sedan aspirations. My recollection is that the Japanese engineers actually explain in the video that for them to produce what they intended with the Kizashi, they had to design and build it on their own with extensive testing. No surprise then that the Kizashi prototypes were seen on the Nürburgring in Germany.

The last reason is that Suzuki actually designed the Kizashi independently before breaking up with GM. In fact, the early prototype Kizashi had GM's V6 in it and Suzuki intended to offer the Kizashi with their base 2.4 liter and a GM-sourced V6, much like the Grand Vitara at the time. When GM sold its stake in Suzuki, Suzuki hoped to get the 2.0 Turbo engines from VW, which acquired part of Suzuki at the time. That never happened so that's why the Kizashi only ever had the Suzuki J24B engine for its entire production cycle. Also, as we know, the engine is not from Honda or anyone else. It's Suzuki's own that they already had for the Grand Vitara so they didn't need to source it from anyone.

I've also come across some fools who were adamant the Kizashi was based on the Nissan Altima despite the vehicles are different sizes and have significant drivetrain differences. The Altima of that era was never offered in AWD contrary to the Kizashi so that's a big clue to a different chassis to anyone who knows cars. It's my experience and opinion that unless one actually owns a Kizashi themselves, they likely don't know shit about it.
KlutzNinja

KuroNekko wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:15 pm
While I'm no authority on the Kizashi, I don't think the Kizashi was ever really intended to be on a GM platform for a number of reasons. The first is that Suzuki was already using GM-sourced Korean cars before the Kizashi so if Suzuki was looking to rely on GM, it would have realistically been what we know today as the Chevy Cruze. The Cruze is actually a GM Korea (formerly Daewoo) design and generations of it prior to USDM introduction were branded as Suzukis in other markets. Also, the Suzuki Forenza, Reno, and Verona were also Daewoos preceding the Cruze so had Suzuki wanted a new vehicle relying on GM, it would have likely been or based on the Cruze, which was already a smaller Asian design.

The second reason is that I watched some Kizashi developmental videos in Japanese and it was clear that Japanese Suzuki chief designers and executives wanted to build their own sedan from the ground-up, free of outside influence for the design. The Malibu platform would have been too big for what Suzuki had in mind as a nimble and more compact midsize with sports sedan aspirations. My recollection is that the Japanese engineers actually explain in the video that for them to produce what they intended with the Kizashi, they had to design and build it on their own with extensive testing. No surprise then that the Kizashi prototypes were seen on the Nürburgring in Germany.

The last reason is that Suzuki actually designed the Kizashi independently before breaking up with GM. In fact, the early prototype Kizashi had GM's V6 in it and Suzuki intended to offer the Kizashi with their base 2.4 liter and a GM-sourced V6, much like the Grand Vitara at the time. When GM sold its stake in Suzuki, Suzuki hoped to get the 2.0 Turbo engines from VW, which acquired part of Suzuki at the time. That never happened so that's why the Kizashi only ever had the Suzuki J24B engine for its entire production cycle. Also, as we know, the engine is not from Honda or anyone else. It's Suzuki's own that they already had for the Grand Vitara so they didn't need to source it from anyone.

I've also come across some fools who were adamant the Kizashi was based on the Nissan Altima despite the vehicles are different sizes and have significant drivetrain differences. The Altima of that era was never offered in AWD contrary to the Kizashi so that's a big clue to a different chassis to anyone who knows cars. It's my experience and opinion that unless one actually owns a Kizashi themselves, they likely don't know shit about it.
Idk, I’m just going by what I’ve read, like here on MT. I thought I read somewhere that the platform was shared with Malibu, but a Cruze would also work since it’s a large compact and similar size to the Kizashi. Tried to find the Malibu connection but couldn’t… It might have been in a YouTube video somewhere. I’ve watched so many Kizashi reviews that I couldn’t place where exactly it could have been, at this point. I haven’t read or watched Japanese content on the Kizashi’s development, so I can’t comment on that. :?
And for what it’s worth, I think you’re quite the authority on the Kizashi lol. Most of us can’t really read or watch Japanese content unless translated, I’d say.
Attachments
D2915A5A-5EA8-48AD-A29C-DB55D7E8ADBC.png
KuroNekko

I've read that too before but it just doesn't make much sense given Suzuki's past with GM (Daewoo being the nexus) and the whole reason why the Kizashi came into existence. According to the Japanese Suzuki folks, who built the car, the Kizashi was developed so Suzuki could actually build their own car rather than keep using GM vehicles that really didn't meet their aspirations. The Kizashi was the global market sedan they created to go upmarket from what they were building and branding thus far. As for the criticisms on the Kizashi's handling in the article, that's a first as it was generally critically acclaimed. Maybe they drove a pre-production model at the time? The Kizashi was rather unique in that Suzuki was obsessive about the chassis and handling. They tuned the car on the Nur and at the time of its debut, it had a more rigid chassis than a BMW 3 Series according to sources I've read. I think we all know the Kizashi to be a stellar handling vehicle for a FWD-based chassis.

Also, in my experience, a lot of information is either lost in translation, misconstrued, or never revealed to the American automotive media when a vehicle originates from a foreign country. I've noticed this when I watch videos on Youtube about a Japanese vehicle in Japanese and compare what the Japanese engineers are saying to what is reflected in English articles on the same car. I am sure there is so much more in writing in the home language.
KlutzNinja

It was an early model, yeah. Maybe the same one used for their Car of the Year evaluation, which had similar complaints. After these two experiences, though, MT went on to become one of the Kizashi’s biggest fans. I read through the long-term tester notes (very brief for the most part) and they more or less gushed over the handling and value the Kizashi brought.
Suzuki doesn’t strike me as being similar to Toyota or Honda/Acura, who are very entrenched in the US. I don’t doubt the lost in translation bit you mentioned. What I meant by the Toyota/Honda comparison is that they design and produce cars in the US, for the US (and elsewhere). Suzuki strikes me as being very aloof to the American market and they’re fine with that lol (and look where that got them). They probably didn’t give two turds over sharing all the data and technical info and whatnot with their American branch.
I don’t know if the GM platform idea is too far off, because the Kizashi was in conceptual development since the mid-2000s. They had Kizashi concepts in 2007, years before the full car was released, and those don’t happen overnight. Meanwhile, GM and Suzuki began to split in 2006, if I’m correctly understanding what I read. Cars in general take several years to develop before we even see anything, which I’m sure you know. GM still built the XL7 until 2009, though.

Also, all three concepts had a 6-speed auto, and the later two concepts had 3.6L V6s (let’s all take a moment of silence for what could have been :lol:). According to Wikipedia, it’s of the same exact displacement (3564cc) as the V6 in the XL7, which was a GM engine. The XL7 and Malibu both received 6-speed autos at the end of the 2000s; I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think this same transmission was in the Kizashi concepts. Using the Epsilon platform makes sense to me since Suzuki wanted to use what were apparently GM powertrains, that may not have fit in the Delta II platform the Cruze used.

I could imagine the Kizashi originally starting out on the Epsilon platform very early on because it could house powertrains that Suzuki wanted to make the Kizashi seem more upscale. At some point Suzuki may have felt it wasn’t good enough, or ties with GM degraded too much and they figured using a proprietary platform would be better. Using as many GM parts as possible seems like it would have been the cost-effective solution here, at least starting out. That would have saved money to spend on making the car nicer overall (e.g. materials, features). I’m wondering if Suzuki went with the JATCO because 1: it was cheaper than the GM automatic, and 2: they lost access to using the automatic after the split was finalized in 2008 or so. The XL7 production by GM continuing until 2009 may have been part of some earlier contract made before the split, or just an exception that was allowed. This is all just speculation on my part.
But as you said, the truth may only be in Japan at this point, and we may never know. I wish the Kizashi was revered enough to get a small documentary or something, because its origins (and demise) are definitely more interesting than that of most cars.

Sorry for the jumbled reply - lots of going back and forth to other tabs on my phone.
Also apologies to OP for sort of hijacking the thread. :oops: