Kizashi shifting delay

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
nickoloza

Hi.

My 2010 Kizashi 2.4 FWD CVT has this kind of characteristic, I would say, when shifting to P or D, it has a tiny delay, needs around 1 sec to shift in.

I've heard somewhere, that this is how this transmission works, its not a problem and that delay is absolutely normal.

Is this the case? Or should I take it to the mechanic, checked oil and level and quality is pretty good, does not require a change.

Thank you.
KlutzNinja

That’s how my CVT has always behaved; it’s usually more pronounced at the first ignition of the day. The delay when shifting into reverse feels a bit longer, like a couple seconds. Kind of inconvenient if you’re doing multi-point turns, especially if another car is waiting on you.

If you’re impatient, you can release the brake pedal before the mechanical bits are done shifting, but that’s going to likely harm the car a little. I think that’s called shift-shock? Unfortunately, this will probably happen any time you let someone else drive your car, like a mechanic, detailer, or smog-checker (in my personal experience), because they don’t know better.
People in general tend to not wait for their car to fully engage into reverse before letting off the brakes, so the Kizashi’s shifting delay quirk might come off as especially unnatural. I’m curious if Nissans with the same continuously variable transmission behave similarly or not.

In my opinion you don’t have to get this checked out, although I’m not an expert. Maybe the member old tech might have something else to say about this. But I’ve seen this topic come up here before and it’s been passed off as normal.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
old tech

Delayed engagement in D or R. Normal. Reverse will sometimes be twice as long. The trans computer is actually very quick to spot a problem and then turn on the check engine light.