Cheap fix 17 muffler rust out

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
old tech

With the Kizashi being 10+ years old , here in the high salt use area , I’m seeing alot of muffler rust out that legally must be rejected for state inspection . Some customers are fine with going the cheap route and eliminating one or both of the rear mufflers with pipe. This is legal because only 1 muffler is required and the front hasn’t failed on any yet. However , some customers want to keep the car sounding quite as it once was. The cost of just 1 of the rear mufflers is over $800. I found a universal muffler that was a perfect weld in unit that sadly was being discontinued but may be copied by other exhaust manufacturers Image. Image
It fit perfectly and was less than $40. The sound was pretty much the same as the original. Your auto parts supplier may be able to find an equal by the part number. Walker 17908
Last edited by old tech on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodie

How does it sound if you eliminate those mufflers?

I had a Road Race catback on mine and loved the way it sounded, but it rusted out and I had to put the factory system back on. I miss that growl but don't want it to sound boy racer.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
old tech

My first Kizashi , I had straight pipe for both the rear mufflers with the rest of the exhaust original. It sounded nice I thought without being to loud. Some would surely object though.