cvt making sounds

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Obama_is_hot6

hey i know that there are other topics about the tranny making sounds but i decided to make a new post because i didnt think that any of them really were the same as what im experiencing.

so when i let off the gas I hear a whining/droning sound, at first it almost sounded like a bad wheel bearing the way it sounded. but i know its not that because when i accelerate the noise stops and the sound happens when i let my foot off the gas. i checked the tranny dip stick and the fluid seems clear and at a normal level. if anyone has some suggestions that would be very helpful

this is on my 2012 kizashi gts awd 85k miles

thanks again,
- Andre
YUUUURT
old tech

Yes I have . From what you describe Im pretty sure you have one of the bearings on the small transfer shaft. The cause of this failure is the bearing preload was set too tight from the factory. The preload must be checked after bearing is replaced. Trans must come out for this repair. I would highly suggest ball to long pin conversion at time of repair. At my shop if you are bringing the car the cost is $1900 with a year parts and labor warranty . If I receive just a transmission, it will be $850 with a. 3mo warranty on trans only. price is for comparison. Hopefully someone in your area is well versed in this perticular trans.
Obama_is_hot6

old tech wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:54 am Yes I have . From what you describe Im pretty sure you have one of the bearings on the small transfer shaft. The cause of this failure is the bearing preload was set too tight from the factory. The preload must be checked after bearing is replaced. Trans must come out for this repair. I would highly suggest ball to long pin conversion at time of repair. At my shop if you are bringing the car the cost is $1900 with a year parts and labor warranty . If I receive just a transmission, it will be $850 with a. 3mo warranty on trans only. price is for comparison. Hopefully someone in your area is well versed in this perticular trans.
thats interesting because it only recently started happening, also for your fixing of the transmition that you do, is it possible to mail a tranny to you? cuz i highly doubt ill ever go to Pennsylvania or wherever you live
YUUUURT
old tech

I’m just south of Erie Pennsylvania. Your car will still drive fine with this bearing going and you could drive it out and leave it with me for 2 full work days while you go visit Niagara Falls about an hour and a half away. This will be the cheapest and best,most enjoyable trip I would believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk